MPH 2021 Canada

Hi everyone,

I applied to the MPH Epidemiology program at UofT for Fall 2021. A bit about me:
4th year Canadian BSc Neuroscience student, GPA: 4.0/4.0
Research experience: Currently working on honours thesis investigating impacts of COVID-19 on undergraduate mental health, 2 years as a research assistant in a psychology lab; proficient in SPSS Statistics software
Volunteer experience: various clubs at my university (Neuroscience Students' Association as an outreach executive and peer mentor, Students Offering Support business development team member responsible for fundraising for educational/COVID PPE supplies to Guatemalan students)
Work experience: pharmacy assistant (related to public health?), other jobs within my university (teaching assistant in psychology dept, exam proctor)
Stats requirement: took 2 stats classes (statistics for the sciences, advanced statistics) and finished both with 100%

Due to the pandemic, I couldn't shadow an epidemiologist at my local health unit or continue with my hospital volunteering placement. I fear that my lack of experience in public health might compromise my chances of getting accepted. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by missneuro

10 hours ago, missneuro said:

Hi everyone,

I applied to the MPH Epidemiology program at UofT for Fall 2021. A bit about me:
Research experience: Currently working on honours thesis investigating impacts of COVID-19 on undergraduate mental health, 2 years as a research assistant in a psychology lab; proficient in SPSS Statistics software
Volunteer experience: various clubs at my university (Neuroscience Students' Association as an outreach executive and peer mentor, Students Offering Support business development team member responsible for fundraising for educational/COVID PPE supplies to Guatemalan students)
Work experience: pharmacy assistant (related to public health?), other jobs within my university (teaching assistant in psychology dept, exam proctor)
Stats requirement: took 2 stats classes (statistics for the sciences, advanced statistics) and finished both with 100%

Due to the pandemic, I couldn't shadow an epidemiologist at my local health unit or continue with my hospital volunteering placement. I fear that my lack of experience in public health might compromise my chances of getting accepted. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think you have a really great shot of getting in! Ultimately it will have a lot to do with your letter of intent and your CV though but you have great stats! I posted my stats earlier in the thread and got accepted into McGill, so based on that I'd say you have a great chance :) But also different schools and all

23 minutes ago, kdf98 said:

I think you have a really great shot of getting in! Ultimately it will have a lot to do with your letter of intent and your CV though but you have great stats! I posted my stats earlier in the thread and got accepted into McGill, so based on that I'd say you have a great chance :) But also different schools and all

Thank you for the support! Wow awesome, congrats on your acceptance! :)

12 hours ago, missneuro said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I think you're definitely going to get in! Wow, your stats and experiences sound amazing!

On 2/17/2021 at 12:14 PM, Mphepi2021 said:

No. There's a green circle for pending, and all the item status' are complete, but it still says the application is incomplete at the top. 

I have the same thing, everything is submitted but it says "incomplete", let me know when it changes for you ?

1 hour ago, Excel725 said:

Anyone still waiting on registration info from UOttawa (to be able to login and submit the letter of intent, references etc)? 

Hey! I applied mid-Jan and got my login info within 3-4 days. I submitted my application on Jan 13 (Wed) and received login info on Jan 16 (Sat). I'm assuming you've been checking your junk folder? If you haven't received it, then it would be best for you to email the program and inquire about it as the deadline is approaching!

Edited by cheesecakelover

2 hours ago, cheesecakelover said:

Hey! I applied mid-Jan and got my login info within 3-4 days. I submitted my application on Jan 13 (Wed) and received login info on Jan 16 (Sat). I'm assuming you've been checking your junk folder? If you haven't received it, then it would be best for you to email the program and inquire about it as the deadline is approaching!

Oh okay! Thanks! I shall wait a few more days (I submitted my application on Saturday). 

Hi !
Anyone knows if responses are based on when you applied ?

Im waiting for McGill and it still says in review. I saw that someone else got an acceptance already (congrats btw ! ) and wondering if that would be because they send acceptances first and rejections later or is it based on when ur file was complete ( one of my references submitted their letter super late) 

48 minutes ago, Rachelle99 said:

Hi !
Anyone knows if responses are based on when you applied ?

Im waiting for McGill and it still says in review. I saw that someone else got an acceptance already (congrats btw ! ) and wondering if that would be because they send acceptances first and rejections later or is it based on when ur file was complete ( one of my references submitted their letter super late) 

Hello!
From my experience, it's usually the latter. Most schools sent out a batch of early acceptances as top candidates have a higher chance of turning the offer down (i.e. competing med school applications, other MPH program). Then they send out enough acceptances to fill capacity along with a large enough batch of waitlists. People who don't make that bigger waitlist are then rejected. Some people on the waitlist who end up right on the cusp might not find out they are accepted/rejected until early summer even (mind you, this will only be like 3 or 4 people per school), after all the waves of acceptances are sent out.

3 minutes ago, Braki said:

Hello!
From my experience, it's usually the latter. Most schools sent out a batch of early acceptances as top candidates have a higher chance of turning the offer down (i.e. competing med school applications, other MPH program). Then they send out enough acceptances to fill capacity along with a large enough batch of waitlists. People who don't make that bigger waitlist are then rejected. Some people on the waitlist who end up right on the cusp might not find out they are accepted/rejected until early summer even (mind you, this will only be like 3 or 4 people per school), after all the waves of acceptances are sent out.

Thank you so much ! 

44 minutes ago, cheesecakelover said:

Anybody else feel that next week will be THE week we start hearing back? ?

I really hope so! Although looking at the forum from last year, people didn't start hearing back from UofT (health promo) until April. Hopefully that was because of the first lockdown but I can't even imagine waiting that long

2 minutes ago, 1m26c4u said:

I really hope so! Although looking at the forum from last year, people didn't start hearing back from UofT (health promo) until April. Hopefully that was because of the first lockdown but I can't even imagine waiting that long

Yea I hope covid was the reason many decisions were delayed last year and we don't have to wait so long this year. The 2019 forum shows that some decisions came out end of Jan/early Feb. Really hoping we hear back SOOONN!

1 minute ago, MPHepiHopeful2021 said:

I am hoping to get accepted to UofT's MPH Epidemiology stream. Although, I know how competitive the program can be and would be happy to receive any acceptances to the schools I applied to

Oh nice! :) What stats and experiences are you applying with if you don't mind me asking. 

4 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Oh nice! :) What stats and experiences are you applying with if you don't mind me asking. 

Graduated with an Honours Specialization in Health Sciences with Biology with a cGPA of around 3.72/4.0 (this depends a bit on how they weigh my exchange marks). My L2GPA would be closer to 3.85 though. I also have taken 3 statistics courses that I achieved fairly high marks in (85-95 range). 

While I think my academic stats are ok, I am more worried about my public health/research experience. I didn't have to complete a thesis for my degree so I unfortunately don't have any research experience. I did have a practicum working at a pharmacy. I have also been working at a local hospital as a screener and assisting in the operations of the COVID-19 vaccination clinic and mobile vaccination team for LTC and retirement homes. I also have a variety of other volunteer/extracurricular experiences but I am not entirely sure how much those will support my application.

I also thought I wrote a pretty compelling personal statement that will help me as a candidate.