Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 9/6/2021 at 6:59 PM, SCCPHopeful said:

Hi everyone, I am looking into non BSW MSW programs in TO or exclusively online. So far I have U of T's 2 year program, Laurier online, and Windsor MSWwp online. Any other school/programs I  should look into...Thanks!

Following as I am in the same boat. Just a heads up - a bunch of the programs only accept 20 people. 3 of the 5 programs I applied to for this fall had that limit, including Laurier online, and it is next to impossible to get into those with the amount of applications they receive. I feel like I threw away most of my applications this round, so if anyone has any insider tips on how to avoid that next time it would be greatly appreciated!

On 9/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, SCCPHopeful said:

Hi there, I am looking into applying to Windsor's MSWwp. I am curious what your grades/experience were like? Also interested in how many start dates they offer? Is It just fall and winter as far as you know? Or summer too? Thanks in advance for any insight :)

For MSWwp it is in September and Winter. They have the regular MSW programs on campus as well. They have a spring start in May but it isn’t MSWwp, just the regular 1 year advanced MSW. 

I have an SSW diploma (Overall 82%) and my BSW (Overall A-). Both of my stats marks were A. I applied during my final year of school.

I worked in developmental services for four years at the time of my application. I also worked part time for Best Buddies at my college. My placements were at city housing for seniors, a high school for teens with intellectual disabilities and an immigration agency. I think my personal statement was a big selling point. I spoke strongly about my passion for social work, my lived experience of overcoming challenges and how that relates to my professional goals & the program’s philosophy. 

I hope this helps :) Remember it is rolling admission so first come, first served. I was waitlisted for the September start because the seats were already full. So I highly recommend applying as early as possible! 

Edited by SocialWerkIt

Hi Everyone!

I also have not heard back from Laurier yet for the part-time online program (January 2022). Looking at previous posts in this forum, it sounds like they can take a while and not hearing after the expected time is a common experience.

Has anyone heard much about what the Laurier online program is like in terms of opportunities for interactions amongst students? I also find it interesting that they do 6-week rather than 12-week courses; I haven't heard of other schools doing that.

For those of you applying again to msw programs this year…I have a few questions! How many times have you applied and what are you doing differently this year? Also, is there going to be a new forum or will we just use this one to continue to talk about everything for the September 2022 admissions?

On 9/17/2021 at 9:38 AM, ChipDip said:

For those of you applying again to msw programs this year…I have a few questions! How many times have you applied and what are you doing differently this year? Also, is there going to be a new forum or will we just use this one to continue to talk about everything for the September 2022 admissions?

Here is the 2022 one!

I have officially been rejected from Wilfred Laurier's part time MSW. For reference, this was my second time applying. I have a BA and a MA from Wilfred Laurier and 7 years of experience in social services and non profits. I had an A- average in my last two years.

I know this program is super competitive so I was expecting it.. but now I will be holding out for the other programs I applied to. Good luck to the rest! 

Hi everyone, 

I heard back from WLU for the part time online program starting January 2022 this afternoon. I have been placed on the waitlist. Trying to stay positive, but it’s hard! And hard to make life plans (work in particular) when I don’t know when/if the waitlist will move! 

Congratulations to all of those who got accepted, and my condolences to those who did not. This has been (and continues to be) a stressful wait! 

• 5 months later...