Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 5/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, shermsw2021 said:

I got accepted to York for the 2-year program!!! I'm soooo happy because I really did want to stay in toronto for my masters and it can finally happen!!

I received an email 2 days ago (tuesday may 18, 4:15pm) asking to set up a call. I assumed it would be to provide additional documentation but it was an acceptance!! super happy. myfile has not been updated but i was told it would be within the next couple days. 

I'll be rejecting my laurier and western offers soon as well, so hopefully something opens up for someone on the waitlist!

wishing everyone else the best of luck!

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! How long did laurier give you to accept their offer? Was there a due date for that? Also, any tips of applying specifically to laurier? I was waitlisted, still hoping for the best but wanted to get some tips!! :)

Hi all,

I am kinda just hijacking the thread for a microsecond, but bear with me, as i think this forum is a good place to ask this question- I just got accepted into the 2 year bsw program at mcmaster AND trent. Now all I have to do is decide and i have two days!!! I am looking for any insight here-

I think the program at mcmaster is more established, looks more social justice-y, and has more interesting syllabi. Trent Durham is closer, and the courses may be a little easier? I took a few courses with them and my grades were amazing!!

I want to do an MSW afterwards somewhere. Should I go to Trent where i get higher grades and maybe not as exciting teaching, or should i go to McMaster that has a more established social work program, but where the courses may be harder and where my grades may suffer? As i am typing this, i think i kind of know mcmaster might be better for me. Does anyone else who went to these schools or has been in the bsw program and applying to msws have any further insight?? Thank you!
(For context, I went to George Brown for the SSW, which I loved, and have an unrelated BA. I have been working in housing for the past few years.) 

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone who has been accepted to the Laurier program that would be willing to take a look and critique my personal statement? I really would like to have another pair of eyes look at it!

Thanks in advance! 

2 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

Hi all, I was placed on the waitlisted for 2- year MSW at UofT. Just got my acceptance email that I’ve been offered a spot for September! So sounds like they’re rolling through the wait list now. Last name is a V! ?

Congratulations, wishing you the best!  This is hopeful for many of us waiting! :)

2 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

Hi all, I was placed on the waitlisted for 2- year MSW at UofT. Just got my acceptance email that I’ve been offered a spot for September! So sounds like they’re rolling through the wait list now. Last name is a V! ?

Congratulations how exciting!!!!!!!!! ?

Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well. 

I was placed on the waitlist for the 2-year MSW program at UofT, and I just received an email from the University of Toronto that I can apply for OSAP for the 2021-2022 academic year. I'm super confused lol does anyone know what this means? Or was it just a mistake?

7 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

yay! congrats :) I got waitlisted too.. hoping for the best, if you don't mind me asking were you notified via email?

11 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

yay! congrats :) I got waitlisted too.. hoping for the best, if you don't mind me asking were you notified via email?

Fingers crossed for you! ??
Angela email me yesterday if I’m still interested and offered me a spot. I confirmed, and she mentioned she will put together the offer package and congratulated me. 

20 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

congrats!!? im happy to know that there is hope to get off the ~ominous waitlist~. i wish you all the best of luck in the program! might i ask what your area of interest was? i know sometimes they pull people off the waitlist based on that if your interests aligns with someone who has not accepted. all speculation on my part tho just wondering haha.

20 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

Hello!! Congratulations that’s great news ? I am currently on the wait list and have my fingers crossed. 

Do you know your course schedule yet and if they will be solely online for the fall semester?

13 minutes ago, ashleyym said:

Hello!! Congratulations that’s great news ? I am currently on the wait list and have my fingers crossed. 

Do you know your course schedule yet and if they will be solely online for the fall semester?

Thank you!

I have no further information yet unfortunately. I believe they are announcing in July whether it will be online, however that could change 

21 hours ago, MSW2021v said:

THIS IS AMAZING. CONGRATS TO U!!!!!! I'm so curious about how they take people off the waitlist...is it a point system...alphabetical...drives me nuts 

1 hour ago, OttaCPsychFall20 said:

THIS IS AMAZING. CONGRATS TO U!!!!!! I'm so curious about how they take people off the waitlist...is it a point system...alphabetical...drives me nuts 

Thank you!! 

I know I have no idea, I wish I had more insight to give. My SGS just updated & I received my offer package. Best of luck to all of you! ☺️

4 hours ago, ashleyym said:

We should be finding out about course delivery mode in early-mid July. It's tough to tell right now - even though things are looking good vaccine-wise, both OISE and DLSPH announced that they'd be online. The full course schedule is on the website though.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:49 PM, Kristine said:

Hi all,

I am kinda just hijacking the thread for a microsecond, but bear with me, as i think this forum is a good place to ask this question- I just got accepted into the 2 year bsw program at mcmaster AND trent. Now all I have to do is decide and i have two days!!! I am looking for any insight here-

I think the program at mcmaster is more established, looks more social justice-y, and has more interesting syllabi. Trent Durham is closer, and the courses may be a little easier? I took a few courses with them and my grades were amazing!!

I want to do an MSW afterwards somewhere. Should I go to Trent where i get higher grades and maybe not as exciting teaching, or should i go to McMaster that has a more established social work program, but where the courses may be harder and where my grades may suffer? As i am typing this, i think i kind of know mcmaster might be better for me. Does anyone else who went to these schools or has been in the bsw program and applying to msws have any further insight?? Thank you!
(For context, I went to George Brown for the SSW, which I loved, and have an unrelated BA. I have been working in housing for the past few years.) 

Hey! Congrats! I didn't go to either, but I do have some insight that you're obviously welcome to take or leave. McMaster was my first choice for BSW if I didn't get into an MSW. It really appealed to me because class & cohort sizes were small, and I had heard really good things about the faculty and the student support they provide. There were also profs there doing research I was interested in, and who I thought could have made for good connections/references later on (or maybe future research opportunities). I was also living in Toronto before, and really wanted the (albeit nearby) change of scenery and access to nature that Hamilton/McMaster campus has. If you thought the syllabi at Mac looked more interesting to you, then that might be the better option? Even if the courses are a little more challenging (which I have no idea if they actually are), I tend find it easier to do well when I'm more interested. The second degree entry at Mac is very competitive - they wouldn't have let you in if you weren't an excellent candidate for their courses! Another consideration might be placement opportunities - I liked that Hamilton was big enough that there was a wide variety of placement partners, and some that were very specific to my interests. But, a BSW is supposed to be more generalist, so getting a super specific placement may not be as important. To be honest, I really didn't look into Trent much, so definitely take what I say with a grain of salt. There are always a tonne of other considerations, so at the end of the day you're going to be the only one who can decide which is the best fit for you! Congrats and good luck with your decision!

I've seen some people have gotten acceptances off the waitlist for the 2 year MSW at U of T - I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten off the waitlist for the Advanced Standing program at U of T yet? 

Hi everyone! I was waitlisted for U of T Advanced Standing (Health & Mental Health stream). After I was waitlisted, I moved on and didn't think anything of it (fully accepting defeat lol). Angela contacted me by email yesterday offering me admission and after confirming my interest - I received my official offer letter this morning via. SGS. Last name is H - Hope this brings some of you ease! :)

On 6/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

Has anyone gotten of the waitlist for Laurier 2 year full time MSW? Just wondering what my stakes of getting in looks like at this time. If anyone knows others who had gotten of the waitlist in the past, would love to know!

Hi! 

I called the Laurier MSW admissions office a couple of weeks ago (early June) and they told me that they haven't even started looking at the waitlist. I guess they're still waiting on people to either accept or decline their initial offers?

23 hours ago, AnxiousApplicant21 said:

Hi! 

I called the Laurier MSW admissions office a couple of weeks ago (early June) and they told me that they haven't even started looking at the waitlist. I guess they're still waiting on people to either accept or decline their initial offers?

Oh wow! So it looks like we might start or potentially start hearing back closer to July or August by the looks of it? Thank you for the updates it has been radio silence on his site and I was starting to lose hope.