Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone who applied to the non-BSW part time online MSW with Laurier was waitlisted? I received a notification to be placed on the waitlist but haven't heard if anyone else has been in this thread. I imagine it is unlikely that I will get off if it noting how few spots are available, but just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Thanks so much ?

Hey everyone! I got waitlisted for UofT, Laurier and western and I have not really heard of too many people getting off waitlist. I just want to know if its worth it to sign a year worth contract for work and just act like I have not gotten in because I am not sure due to the circumstances/ number of spots/ deferrals from last year that too many spots will open up? Does anyone have any advice or thoughts for being on waitlist? (p.s. im not trying to be pessimistic I am just considering that it might be a slim chance). 

9 hours ago, ashleyym said:

Congratulations!!! How were you notified about being taken off the waitlist and being accepted to Western? 

They sent me two emails yesterday. The first one was from gradapps and said that I was offered admission to the MSW 2 year program and that a formal offer of admission will be generated for me in the next 24 hours and available on Student Center. The second one was from Rachel Braden (Social Work Program Liaison) and said "Congratulations!  We are happy to offer you a spot in our 2-year MSW program. By now you should have received a formal offer through your Western student center.  While we ask that you go on to your student center and click “accept”, we also need you to read and sign the attached document if you wish to accept the offer.  You can return the signed documents to Deanna Bond, cc’d on this email.  Please do so by June 3, 2021."

On 5/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

Hi! Sounds good. I actually talked to Maxine as well and she gave me probably the same number. Financial services and admissions are attached to the same number. It was hard to get through, lots of waiting but defs let me know if you're told anything different! 

Hey!! So I got ahold of the admissions office and asked if there was a particular funding package with this program, and they said we're on our own ? Just wanted to update you!

7 minutes ago, nervousbutwaiting said:

Haven't heard anything yet, so I'm taking it as a bad sign ? This forum seems to be pretty quiet about York so I wonder if not that many people on here applied? 

I'm surprised since I read earlier this year that they had over 500 applicants this time around! But I didn't hear much about York on here last year either. 

Don't give up hope yet! Considering how few people they accept, I didn't believe it would be possible to get in, so to say I was shocked would be a massive understatement. When I read a week ago someone being accepted on the 18th I figured it was over but I got the call on the 26th! It looks like she's booking 2 hour time slots for each call and isn't necessarily able to reach people on the first call so it could very well go on into next week.

Have you been accepted elsewhere? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that you hear back soon with good news ?

5 hours ago, Kal008 said:

Anyone else accepted in Yorks 2 year this past week? Would love to connect with others before September! ?

I haven't heard back yet! I, similar to @nervousbutwaiting, feel discouraged and like this may mean a rejection. But congratulations to you @Kal008 ? I'm happy to hear you were accepted!!

I applied to 4 schools this year and was accepted at Dalhousie and Carleton, waitlisted at U of T and still unsure of an official York decision. Right now I have am taking the Carleton spot, but York was actually my preferred school. I am most interested in  the theoretical lens that York teaches through but Carleton's curriculum has strong similarities. I also currently live in Toronto and think it would be easier to go to York than move haha. But if York is not in the cards for me I am happy to start my social work journey at Carleton and would like to connect with others attending this program prior to the school year beginning.

39 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

I'm surprised since I read earlier this year that they had over 500 applicants this time around! But I didn't hear much about York on here last year either. 

Don't give up hope yet! Considering how few people they accept, I didn't believe it would be possible to get in, so to say I was shocked would be a massive understatement. When I read a week ago someone being accepted on the 18th I figured it was over but I got the call on the 26th! It looks like she's booking 2 hour time slots for each call and isn't necessarily able to reach people on the first call so it could very well go on into next week.

Have you been accepted elsewhere? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that you hear back soon with good news ?

Thank you for your positive energy, it's very much appreciated ? And congratulations on your acceptance! The program is super competitive and I'm very proud of you, even if I haven't met you!

I applied to York and U of T and was accepted to U of T! I've gone back and forth so many times about which would be my preferred school, but knowing I am in at U of T has for sure eased my NervousbutWaiting vibes slightly ? 

@MMSW Congratulations on your acceptance to Carleton! I know waiting on York is a bit rough, but I'm very glad we both have plans nonetheless ?

Hi everyone,

So I am waitlisted for UFT's 2-year MSW Program, and Windsor's 2-year MSW Program. And so I wanted to know if anyone has heard back from one of these programs... 

I'm honestly not sure if i will be removed from the waitlist itself so curious to know if someone was accepted from the waitlist. 

On 5/29/2021 at 7:50 PM, nervousbutwaiting said:

Thank you for your positive energy, it's very much appreciated ? And congratulations on your acceptance! The program is super competitive and I'm very proud of you, even if I haven't met you!

I applied to York and U of T and was accepted to U of T! I've gone back and forth so many times about which would be my preferred school, but knowing I am in at U of T has for sure eased my NervousbutWaiting vibes slightly ? 

@MMSW Congratulations on your acceptance to Carleton! I know waiting on York is a bit rough, but I'm very glad we both have plans nonetheless ?

Thank you so much that is such a kind and sweet thing to say. It has been a LONG journey to get here (as i'm sure it has for all of us in different ways). Congratulations on your acceptance to U of T! I was waitlisted there last year and this year and it was a little devastating not going to lie. I know you'll have a fantastic experience there even if York is not in the cards for you. Best of luck with the waiting game and with your studies in September :)

On 5/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jvwillow said:

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone who applied to the non-BSW part time online MSW with Laurier was waitlisted? I received a notification to be placed on the waitlist but haven't heard if anyone else has been in this thread. I imagine it is unlikely that I will get off if it noting how few spots are available, but just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Thanks so much ?

Hi Jvwillow,

Would you be willing to share your experience? Any tips on writing your essay? I was rejected but am going to reply now for the May entry. Any tips would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking forward to starting my MSW this fall, and potentially meeting some of you in real life. I am pretty sure I will be attending Carleton in the fall (unless York accepts me?). I am not from Ottawa and will have to move from where I am now (Toronto). I am wondering if anyone has any insights into good places to live for grad students in Ottawa? It seems pretty expensive to rent a place of my own in Ottawa, but maybe is feasible if I live in Gatineau and commute into the city.

Moving to a new place is always so stressful. If anyone has any tips on how to make it work on a student budget, or if you just want to commiserate on the stress of settling into a new area I would love to chat with you. :) 

2 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Has there been any movement from U of T's waitlist for their 2-year MSW program?

I'm also waiting, it seems there's a pretty large number of people on the waitlist but I've yet to see anyone get removed. If you were waitlisted and have now been accepted, could you please like this post so that we can get a sense of numbers so far?

On 5/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, MMSW said:

I haven't heard back yet! I, similar to @nervousbutwaiting, feel discouraged and like this may mean a rejection. But congratulations to you @Kal008 ? I'm happy to hear you were accepted!!

I applied to 4 schools this year and was accepted at Dalhousie and Carleton, waitlisted at U of T and still unsure of an official York decision. Right now I have am taking the Carleton spot, but York was actually my preferred school. I am most interested in  the theoretical lens that York teaches through but Carleton's curriculum has strong similarities. I also currently live in Toronto and think it would be easier to go to York than move haha. But if York is not in the cards for me I am happy to start my social work journey at Carleton and would like to connect with others attending this program prior to the school year beginning.

Congrats on both of your acceptances, what an accomplishment! I have heard that Carleton's curriculum is similar to York's and if I didn't have children I would probably have applied there as well. U of T is actually far too clinical for my liking but I did apply as I have to stay in Toronto and did not want to limit my options. Good luck with York, I hope you hear back soon so you can make a decision and start the process of moving etc. if Carleton is where you end up deciding to go!  

On 5/29/2021 at 7:04 PM, Kal008 said:

MyFile says that my application is still under consideration. I don't know what to make of that, since it's now June and it seems that many people have already heard back!

I was offered admission to Laurier's MSW program and have accepted, so rest assured if by some miracle I am accepted at York I will be deferring. ? I hope that everyone who is waiting hears back soon!

5 minutes ago, kouklah said:

MyFile says that my application is still under consideration. I don't know what to make of that, since it's now June and it seems that many people have already heard back!

I was offered admission to Laurier's MSW program and have accepted, so rest assured if by some miracle I am accepted at York I will be deferring. ? I hope that everyone who is waiting hears back soon!

Last year my status stayed like that until June 15th. It was a brutally long wait, especially since they had sent out their acceptances earlier last year. My understanding is they don't have an official wait list so they keep everyone who isn't rejected on the hook until they officially fill the program. MyFile still hasn't updated for me and it has been a week since I was accepted ? I hope they update everyone soon or at least let people know they are on a waitlist.

Congrats on your acceptance to Laurier! :)

@Kal008 thanks! I hope that you enjoy York's program  :)@kouklah I am finding the ambiguous wait a bit frustrating and I'm not sure why they don't do things like other schools where they do all acceptances and rejections in a short timeframe.  Hopefully we both get an answer some time soon.

I just got rejected from York's 2 year MSW program.

I was offered admissions to Dalhousie and Western/King's (I accepted Dal), waitlisted at U of T and Carleton, and rejected from UVic. I'm glad I've heard back from all the schools I applied to now. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear from waitlists - I know it can be really stressful. 

In case people are still interested in backgrounds, I have a BA Honours Specialization in Psychology, my GPA was 3.75, and I have thousands of hours of experience, mainly working with children with special needs and a lot of research experience. 

On 6/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, MMSW said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking forward to starting my MSW this fall, and potentially meeting some of you in real life. I am pretty sure I will be attending Carleton in the fall (unless York accepts me?). I am not from Ottawa and will have to move from where I am now (Toronto). I am wondering if anyone has any insights into good places to live for grad students in Ottawa? It seems pretty expensive to rent a place of my own in Ottawa, but maybe is feasible if I live in Gatineau and commute into the city.

Moving to a new place is always so stressful. If anyone has any tips on how to make it work on a student budget, or if you just want to commiserate on the stress of settling into a new area I would love to chat with you. :) 

I am in Ottawa. Gatineau is definitely cheaper for rent, and if you live just over the bridge near Lebreton Flats you can grab the O-Train to Carleton which is pretty quick. However, if you end up working in Ontario your income taxes will be higher for working in a different province than you live in. Also, if you don't speak French it can be difficult living in Quebec.