Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

4 hours ago, sofiahats said:

Anyone here declining or deferring their acceptance to UofT's 2-year MSW? Hoping to be able to get accepted off of the waitlist this year. Super discouraging having it be the 3rd time being waitlisted.

I don't know anyone who is, but this week is the deadline for most people accepted since it was 4 weeks

6 hours ago, sofiahats said:

Anyone here declining or deferring their acceptance to UofT's 2-year MSW? Hoping to be able to get accepted off of the waitlist this year. Super discouraging having it be the 3rd time being waitlisted.

Hoping to see some movement next week once the acceptance deadline has passed!

2 hours ago, KayMay said:

Hey Everyone! 3 time waitlisted over here (Laurier, western and U of T). I am just wondering if anyone knows when waitlisters will see some movements for those schools. It is truly difficult not knowing ?

I’m still on the waitlist for Laurier advance standing, this is the worst!!

56 minutes ago, scarey said:

Anyone on the waitlist for Windsor or Western starting to get discouraged? Still check the portals Monday - Friday, hoping to see some movement, or anything...my hope seems to be dwindling

Yes :( I have a feeling waitlists will have less movement this year after all the deferrals last year. Fingers crossed once York sends out their decisions that we have at least a bit of movement with the other schools!!

I got waitlisted to UofT and Western, and accepted to Windsor's 2-year program. I have heard mixed things about being on the waitlist for UofT, however, I am still holding up hope because UofT is more practical for me and I heard some people hear back as late as July.  I am super appreciative and feel fortunate of being accepted to Windsor as it really has settled my nerves and anxiety.

Wherever we all go I know our experience of achieving our MSW whether it is this year or next will be amazing and such a great achievement.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, pls said:

Thank you!!! I am in the 1-year stream, but I would love to still join the group if that's okay!! i'm thinking we might have some similar questions/courses and i'd love to make some friends and maybe a study group for sept :)

Of course!!!!

Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker and have finally decided to make my first post. 

This year I decided to only apply to the post-degree BSW program at York, since I had strong doubts that it would be feasible for me to move within the next year (I am currently residing in Newfoundland). Applying to this program was to keep my options open just incase. Fortunately, I'm scheduled to be fully vaccinated by the end of August, and am seriously considering accepting admission if it is offered to me.  

I have a couple of questions for those who have been enrolled in this program: 

1. Is it worth the extra year to receive a post-degree BSW and then a Advanced Standing MSW? What are the pros/ cons of going this route instead of just applying to the 2 Year MSW? 

2. What was your experience like at York and in this program? 

Thank you so much in advance, and good luck to everyone still waiting for an offer!!! ❤️ 

21 hours ago, AlexaS said:

I am currently on the waitlist for Windsor's 2-year MSW program and my application still says "in process", but the status date has changed, is this the case for anyone else?

Mine still says in process but the date hasn't changed, from what I hear that could be a good sign. My status date is still January 6th

22 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

Yes :( I have a feeling waitlists will have less movement this year after all the deferrals last year. Fingers crossed once York sends out their decisions that we have at least a bit of movement with the other schools!!

I thought York had sent out all of their decisions, I had gotten a rejections so maybe only some came out. Well hey, anything that would increase the chances of movement, I'm excited for that

10 minutes ago, scarey said:

I thought York had sent out all of their decisions, I had gotten a rejections so maybe only some came out. Well hey, anything that would increase the chances of movement, I'm excited for that

York isn't sending out their acceptances to the 2 year MSW until the end of this month. Found it strange they already sent some rejections out long before this though. But given the fact that they only accept 20 people I unfortunately don't think it will make much of a dent on other waitlists 

2 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

York isn't sending out their acceptances to the 2 year MSW until the end of this month. Found it strange they already sent some rejections out long before this though. But given the fact that they only accept 20 people I unfortunately don't think it will make much of a dent on other waitlists 

Yeah that's not a lot but in my attempt to be positive, I think that the odds that all 20 people only we get accepted applied to only York and don't have a backup school or two, probably isn't that high. So trying to use the power of positive thinking, hopefully that will cause some movement. 

6 minutes ago, scarey said:

Yeah that's not a lot but in my attempt to be positive, I think that the odds that all 20 people only we get accepted applied to only York and don't have a backup school or two, probably isn't that high. So trying to use the power of positive thinking, hopefully that will cause some movement. 

That's very true. I'm going to borrow some of your positive thoughts :)  haha I still have a tiny sliver of hope for York....super small but still there! 

Edited by Kal008

Hi everyone!

I received the waitlist offer for the advanced standing at Windsor - Peel region. I chose to have my application be considered for the Winter 2022 term. I am waitlisted at University of Toronto and I am rejected at Laurier. I will be starting a new full-time position soon, so I am not too bummed out since it is my first time applying and this year has been super rough for me.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that has received an offer! And sending my biggest hopes for future opportunities to the ones that have received a rejection.

Just remember one door closes but another door opens! ?

Edited by SocialWerkIt

5 hours ago, Pickmeplease said:

Got a rejection email from Lakehead Orillia's MSW today, I don't think many people here seemed to apply, but just an fyi. 

I'm so sorry to hear was this for the part time program?

*** nvm thought you meant Laurier 

Edited by AMD_XO

Hello everyone. I was rejected from all master's programs, but got into the UWindsor post 2 year BSW. Super excited to start my social work journey. I just wanted to ask if anyone went to U of T for their MSW or another university for clinical social work, how hard is it to get a practicum in a hospital?

Hope everyone is doing well! Just wondering if anyone has seen any movement on any 2 year MSW waitlists? More specifically Westerns? I know many don’t reveal where you stand on the waitlist which makes this process even more stressful, but maybe someone got some insider information the rest of us don’t have (unluckily but one can hope lol). 

53 minutes ago, jessjae2021 said:

Hope everyone is doing well! Just wondering if anyone has seen any movement on any 2 year MSW waitlists? More specifically Westerns? I know many don’t reveal where you stand on the waitlist which makes this process even more stressful, but maybe someone got some insider information the rest of us don’t have (unluckily but one can hope lol). 

Hey I am definitely on the same boat as you waiting to hear back! I was looking at last years GradCafe and the year before that and finding that in the past there was movement near the end of may and June. However, it might be different this year because there has been an influx in applications and most likely deferrals. Here's an article that might explain it better but it has definitely not been a conventional year for applying thats for sure! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/grad-school-applications-covid-1.5914766