Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

13 minutes ago, emnull98 said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! This definitely helped make my decision easier :) I actually just got confirmation this morning that I've been admitted to the post-degree BSW program at York!!!! Now I actually have to decide for real lol.

I feel that the major thing standing between me accepting my offer is the funding opportunities for the post-grad BSW program. I know that the 2 Year MSW program at York offers quite a bit of money to students, but I haven't been able to find funding options for the post-grad BSW besides awards/bursaries offered during the school year. Are you (or anyone else on this forum) aware of any funding offered to students in this program?? Thank you so much in advance! 

I am happy I could help. 

Congrats on the offer! I did not apply to the York BSW as they told me my volunteering would not be competetive enough. It must feel so good to get at least one offer. I had so much anxiety and stress worrying I would not get in anywhere, then when I got the post-BSW offer the anxiety immediately went away. 

I think if you enroll in the post-BSW, you can apply to OSAP right? I also Windsor has some options to apply to awards and scholarships in

August. York has them too, I got 1,500 once for a scholarship. I just applied to all the ones I qualified for. My friend told me sometimes no one applied to them, so I did it. 

Of course master's programs give more funding. I assumed it was based on grades, no? My grades are not great so I don't know if I would have gotten any funding on a master's program. 

Are you going to be renting in Toronto? My problem is that I have to rent and this work part-time. OSAP probably won't give me grants as before for my tuition, so I will have to figure out budgeting and all that and how much to work to make enough. 

Anyways, you still got time to decide. How long does your offer last? I had a month to accept it..you can wait and see if you get into the Master's. I am praying that you do! 

46 minutes ago, emnull98 said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! This definitely helped make my decision easier :) I actually just got confirmation this morning that I've been admitted to the post-degree BSW program at York!!!! Now I actually have to decide for real lol.

I feel that the major thing standing between me accepting my offer is the funding opportunities for the post-grad BSW program. I know that the 2 Year MSW program at York offers quite a bit of money to students, but I haven't been able to find funding options for the post-grad BSW besides awards/bursaries offered during the school year. Are you (or anyone else on this forum) aware of any funding offered to students in this program?? Thank you so much in advance! 

Hi! I also got into the post-grad York program and couldn't find anything about funding. I called the student financial office and they told me that there is no entry funding associated with this program, because we would be considered transfer students. I also noticed that the program is ineligible for most of their scholarships as well as they are usually for first-year undergrads (high school students), and master's students. There might be bursaries or other funding opportunities for in-semester or the winter semester.  To be honest, I was really surprised by the lack of funding, given York is known for giving students great financial aide! If you find anything else I'd love to hear about it! 

1 hour ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

Hi! I also got into the post-grad York program and couldn't find anything about funding. I called the student financial office and they told me that there is no entry funding associated with this program, because we would be considered transfer students. I also noticed that the program is ineligible for most of their scholarships as well as they are usually for first-year undergrads (high school students), and master's students. There might be bursaries or other funding opportunities for in-semester or the winter semester.  To be honest, I was really surprised by the lack of funding, given York is known for giving students great financial aide! If you find anything else I'd love to hear about it! 

Hi!! I actually was just talking to Maxine Hayle (the Undergraduate Program Assistant) and they said that my best bet is to reach out to the admissions office and they would be able to give me an accurate number for funding or answer any questions! I will call them and let you know how it goes :) I'm surprised as well, it's strange that more financial aide is not available for those who qualify as transfer students. Hopefully there are further options, but either way I'll update you! :) 

24 minutes ago, emnull98 said:

Hi!! I actually was just talking to Maxine Hayle (the Undergraduate Program Assistant) and they said that my best bet is to reach out to the admissions office and they would be able to give me an accurate number for funding or answer any questions! I will call them and let you know how it goes :) I'm surprised as well, it's strange that more financial aide is not available for those who qualify as transfer students. Hopefully there are further options, but either way I'll update you! :) 

Hi! Sounds good. I actually talked to Maxine as well and she gave me probably the same number. Financial services and admissions are attached to the same number. It was hard to get through, lots of waiting but defs let me know if you're told anything different! 

I got accepted for the MSW Advanced Standing Program for Working Professionals at University of Windsor (Peel Region) for the Winter 2022 Start! I was waitlisted for the September 2021 entry, and I chose their alternate option to be considered for the Winter term. I'm so glad I did! I just started a new full-time job and I will be able to work while attending school! I am so very excited. ?

Edited by SocialWerkIt

I got accepted to York for the 2-year program!!! I'm soooo happy because I really did want to stay in toronto for my masters and it can finally happen!!

I received an email 2 days ago (tuesday may 18, 4:15pm) asking to set up a call. I assumed it would be to provide additional documentation but it was an acceptance!! super happy. myfile has not been updated but i was told it would be within the next couple days. 

I'll be rejecting my laurier and western offers soon as well, so hopefully something opens up for someone on the waitlist!

wishing everyone else the best of luck!

Edited by shehra

Sorry I keep posting so much. I am research 1-year MSW programs, for when I graduate from my post-BSW. I was wondering if anyone had any insights on schools that are good for more clinical social work. I really want to work in a hospital. I know U of T is very clinical, but I have not heard of others. 

30 minutes ago, angelicpiano said:

Sorry I keep posting so much. I am research 1-year MSW programs, for when I graduate from my post-BSW. I was wondering if anyone had any insights on schools that are good for more clinical social work. I really want to work in a hospital. I know U of T is very clinical, but I have not heard of others. 

I would suggest looking at the MSW program at McGill University.They offer three streams: Health & Social Care, Children & Families, and International & Community Development! As well as offering students a lot of opportunities to have a hospital placement. I attached a link from McGill's website that shows a list of organizations with which students had placements. I'll be starting there this fall so let me know if you have any questions :) 

https://www.mcgill.ca/socialwork/files/socialwork/msw_list_of_field_placements_2020.pdf

4 minutes ago, MSWCan_2021 said:

I would suggest looking at the MSW program at McGill University.They offer three streams: Health & Social Care, Children & Families, and International & Community Development! As well as offering students a lot of opportunities to have a hospital placement. I attached a link from McGill's website that shows a list of organizations with which students had placements. I'll be starting there this fall so let me know if you have any questions :)

https://www.mcgill.ca/socialwork/files/socialwork/msw_list_of_field_placements_2020.pdf

I am so excited for you! I would love to stay in touch and learn about your experience. Which stream did you pick?

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually was just looking at job opportunities in Montreal in Hospitals. I found only one or two in the Hôpital Juif. When looking at Toronto postings there are so many more. I worry I might not be able to get a job in a hospital there. 

I looked at the placement list. Thanks for sending. They do have hospital placements. Maybe, if I check the actual hospital websites for jobs, I might find them. 

Edited by angelicpiano

1 minute ago, angelicpiano said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually was just looking at job opportunities in Montreal in Hospitals. I found only one or two in the Hôpital Juif. When looking at Toronto postings there are so many more. I worry I might not be able to get a job in a hospital there. 

I will take a look at the placements, thanks for sending the link. 

No problem! I know at McGill there are two options for placements to do it throughout the school year (September to April), or you can do a block placement in the summer with the ability to do it anywhere in Canada. For myself, that was one of the reasons I applied to have the option to do a hospital placement back in my hometown.

Just now, MSWCan_2021 said:

No problem! I know at McGill there are two options for placements to do it throughout the school year (September to April), or you can do a block placement in the summer with the ability to do it anywhere in Canada. For myself, that was one of the reasons I applied to have the option to do a hospital placement back in my hometown.

What stream are you in? Also, I was wondering if you can get a social work license in Ontario after finishing McGill's program?

Just now, angelicpiano said:

What stream are you in? Also, I was wondering if you can get a social work license in Ontario after finishing McGill's program?

I'm in the health and social care stream. Yeah, you're able to register with the Ontario College as long as it's an accredited program. 

Here's a link to the college with more info https://www.ocswssw.org/applicants/students_and_new_graduates/ 

Just now, MSWCan_2021 said:

I'm in the health and social care stream. Yeah, you're able to register with the Ontario College as long as it's an accredited program. 

Here's a link to the college with more info https://www.ocswssw.org/applicants/students_and_new_graduates/ 

Thank you for all the links. I am sorry I keep asking os many questions. Thank you. Good luck with your program. Do you know what kind of work you want to do in the future as in location? Hospitals, mental health clinics etc.

4 minutes ago, angelicpiano said:

Thank you for all the links. I am sorry I keep asking os many questions. Thank you. Good luck with your program. Do you know what kind of work you want to do in the future as in location? Hospitals, mental health clinics etc.

It's all good! And I would like to work in a hospital in an inpatient unit or a children's hospital. I just finished my BSW in April and was able to do a placement in a NGO and another in a hospital, so I think doing the BSW gives a great exposure to various fields one can practice social work. I hope everything works out for you :)  

12 hours ago, MSWCan_2021 said:

I'd only look into McGill if you're bilingual. You can't get a hospital placement in Montreal unless you're bilingual.

18 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

I have heard that UBC okanagan is clinical, if you are up to venturing outside of the province.. they offer a one year and a two year MSW

4 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

I have heard that UBC okanagan is clinical, if you are up to venturing outside of the province.. they offer a one year and a two year MSW

Thanks I will check it out. I was considering more going to Quebec or a city where I will work. BC has always intrigued me, but it is so expensive to live there. None the less, I will consider it. 

13 hours ago, jonesing said:

Curious...does anyone know anyone who got into WF online regular track MSW? No one I know has gotten in and curious about the experiences of those that did!

thanks! :)

This may be a silly question but by WF are you referring to Laurier's online part time program? If so, I also don't know of anyone who has been accepted either. 

11 hours ago, sammyk said:

I got taken off the waitlist and accepted to Western/King's 2 year program today. I already accepted Dalhousie so I will be declining my spot. 

Congratulations!!! How were you notified about being taken off the waitlist and being accepted to Western?