Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

38 minutes ago, ErinCM said:

I am in Ottawa. Gatineau is definitely cheaper for rent, and if you live just over the bridge near Lebreton Flats you can grab the O-Train to Carleton which is pretty quick. However, if you end up working in Ontario your income taxes will be higher for working in a different province than you live in. Also, if you don't speak French it can be difficult living in Quebec. 

Thanks! I had been looking into the possibility of living in Gatineau. How do you find living in Ottawa? I haven't spent much time there and I'm not really sure what it will be like.

6 minutes ago, MMSW said:

Thanks! I had been looking into the possibility of living in Gatineau. How do you find living in Ottawa? I haven't spent much time there and I'm not really sure what it will be like.

I like it. If you're used to a bigger city you may find it kind of quiet and boring, but there is actually quite a bit to do... at least when the province isn't in lockdown. There are also lots of nice parks and beaches to enjoy in the summer. 

9 minutes ago, ErinCM said:

I like it. If you're used to a bigger city you may find it kind of quiet and boring, but there is actually quite a bit to do... at least when the province isn't in lockdown. There are also lots of nice parks and beaches to enjoy in the summer. 

That's cool. I'm excited for the nature. I live in a bigger city now, but originally I am from a rural area and I don't mind the slower pace :) 

6 hours ago, icedmatchalatte said:

I just got rejected from the York 2-Year MSW.

I had competitive grades and thousands of hours of experience. Honestly just very over this whole process.

I've been thinking about you since I read this earlier trying to come up with the right words but I know there are none. It is so heart wrenching and devastating (I have been there). I believe that the influx of applicants this year made it even more difficult for those of us who have already applied multiple times. I wish there were more spots in these programs so that all well qualified applicants had a chance at acceptance because the roller coaster of emotions every year is exhausting and draining. Wishing you all the best and hoping you get off the waitlists you are on, and if not that you don't give up pursuing your MSW ? 

Just heard back from York, I am waitlisted (I didn't even realize they did that!) I got an email with the letter attached saying there were over 480 applications and that the wait list will be open until August. I can't take that much uncertainty, so I will be asking to be removed from the waitlist and pursuing my MSW with U of T. Thank you to everyone for their support and positivity throughout this process!

12 minutes ago, nervousbutwaiting said:

Just heard back from York, I am waitlisted (I didn't even realize they did that!) I got an email with the letter attached saying there were over 480 applications and that the wait list will be open until August. I can't take that much uncertainty, so I will be asking to be removed from the waitlist and pursuing my MSW with U of T. Thank you to everyone for their support and positivity throughout this process!

I got the same email!

On 5/21/2021 at 1:07 PM, msw26 said:

I'd only look into McGill if you're bilingual. You can't get a hospital placement in Montreal unless you're bilingual.

Oh no, I was looking into McGill for 2022 but am not bilingual. Should I not bother or can I get placements elsewhere?

I

4 minutes ago, EastCoastCanadian said:

Oh no, I was looking into McGill for 2022 but am not bilingual. Should I not bother or can I get placements elsewhere?

It's pretty difficult to get a placement if you're not bilingual, especially if you have a particular interest, like in the hospital/ health care system - you're expected to be able to communicate with clients, coworkers, police, government, etc. who only speak French or they don't want to talk to you in English.

Bilingual BSW students are allowed to do their final placement in hospital and I wouldn't even be considered. There are very limited opportunities for people who aren't bilingual - apparently this comes from the organizations and is coming down from the province. I did my BSW there and was told to either find my final placement in Cornwall and commute (2-3 days a week) or do a block placement in the spring/summer in Ontario (which would delay my graduation and affect my student loans). They don't want you finding your own placement in Montreal and wouldn't provide much help to find a placement or offer much supervision support if placement is done out of the area. Not sure how different the MSW program is, like if you can get set up to do a block placement elsewhere. 

I consulted with people I knew who lived in Montreal and/or studied there before I went and general consensus was that I'd be ok in Montreal (especially downtown) as someone who isn't fully bilingual. I even know a couple Anglophone doctors who went to med school at McGill and they didn't have any issues with French. When I mentioned this to the placement coordinator, I was essentially told that med students and doctors are treated differently and "they can have other people translate for them".

Schools or programs tend to have a quota where they try to accept out of province students because they can charge them more for tuition. I paid for more tuition there and got little support. The majority of students were already from the Montreal area and they prioritize these people.

Just some food for thought based on my own experience...

On 4/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, SiMSW said:

Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the process of taking back an acceptance from Western. I accepted in March because the deadline was so early, but I am now potentially deciding to go with UofT. 

That's awesome congrats! Personally not sure but i'd assume you can just email and let them know you changed your mind. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why choose UofT over Western? & What are you planning on pursuing with your MSW? :) 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:07 AM, Empathymatters said:

Does anyone know when the universities announced last year that classes would be online due to covid? 

Also I am deferring my acceptance to King's/Western, so hopefully someone on the waitlist there will get off soon. :) 

I believe last year they announced it mid summer? I know for Kings/Western, we got an email saying they're still discussing it with the school but will hopefully know early June. Keep in mind, even if they announce something, it could still be changed depending how the whole covid thing goes. Did you defer because you didn't want to do online?

On 5/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, Mswhopeful97 said:

Hey all! A while back I posted about getting into U of T’s 2 year MSW and today I got a call from York saying I got into their 2 year MSW as well! However MyFile hasn’t updated yet. Just wanted to give a heads up that offers seem to be rolling out by phone call (which I’m not surprised by as there’s only 20 admitted for the 2 year and they’re probably trying to see who’s still interested considering it’s so late). Fingers crossed for all you! 

That's amazing!! Congrats!! If you dont mind sharing, which one will you be accepting and why that program? :) 

On 5/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, shermsw2021 said:

I got accepted to York for the 2-year program!!! I'm soooo happy because I really did want to stay in toronto for my masters and it can finally happen!!

I received an email 2 days ago (tuesday may 18, 4:15pm) asking to set up a call. I assumed it would be to provide additional documentation but it was an acceptance!! super happy. myfile has not been updated but i was told it would be within the next couple days. 

I'll be rejecting my laurier and western offers soon as well, so hopefully something opens up for someone on the waitlist!

wishing everyone else the best of luck!

Congrats!!! so happy for you! Can i ask why you chose York over Western & Laurier?

On 5/27/2021 at 9:21 PM, sammyk said:

I got taken off the waitlist and accepted to Western/King's 2 year program today. I already accepted Dalhousie so I will be declining my spot. 

thats awesome congrats!! Can i ask why you're sticking with Dalhousie over Western?

hey guys just wanted to provide an update! I got moved from Windsor's 2 year MSW Waitlist and given an offer but declined it so hopefully that opens a spot for someone! I received an email from York yesterday saying I have been waitlisted for the 2 year MSW & to keep checking myfile for any changes but it could go until August. I've also been waitlisted for UofT 2 year MSW but havnt had any updates since, so not sure on the likelihood of either? As of now, I have accepted my offer for Western MSW and will likely stick with it unless I get offered UofT or York but still not sure tbh. I'd like to move to the city but if the programs gnna be online and everythings still closed from covid, it doesnt seem worth it.

Does anyone know what the financial assistance looks like for 2 year MSW in York vs UofT vs Western? 

Edited by girlwithecurls

18 minutes ago, girlwithecurls said:

hey guys just wanted to provide an update! I got moved from Windsor's 2 year MSW Waitlist and given an offer but declined it so hopefully that opens a spot for someone! I received an email from York yesterday saying I have been waitlisted for the 2 year MSW & to keep checking myfile for any changes but it could go until August. I've also been waitlisted for UofT 2 year MSW but havnt had any updates since, so not sure on the likelihood of either? As of now, I have accepted my offer for Western MSW and will likely stick with it unless I get offered UofT or York but still not sure tbh. I'd like to move to the city but if the programs gnna be online and everythings still closed from covid, it doesnt seem worth it.

Does anyone know what the financial assistance looks like for 2 year MSW in York vs UofT vs Western? 

I don't know anything about financial assistance at Western but I was offered none through U of T (I am waitlisted as well) and was accepted into York and was offered $24K in funding. So there was a huge difference there 

16 minutes ago, girlwithecurls said:

thats awesome congrats!! Can i ask why you're sticking with Dalhousie over Western?

Thank you! I got accepted to Dal months ago and accepted it, paid the deposit, and started mentally preparing that that's where I would be going. At first I thought that if I got accepted to Western or U of T I would choose them instead and cut my losses with the deposit (I live in Toronto), but I ended up getting really excited about going to Dal. My decision may be a more personal one than what others may be considering, but I did my undergrad at Western, so I wanted to get a new experience elsewhere. I have heard incredible things about Halifax and Dalhousie in particular, and I just think I will really love being there. I have never been to the East Coast, so I'm excited for a new adventure.

27 minutes ago, JouneyofLife said:

Has anyone received an offer of admission after being put on the waitlist for UofT?

not yet.. I think it's still too early.. earliest I heard for previous years was June 15. I'm expecting it'll be august honestly.. 

9 hours ago, girlwithecurls said:

Congrats!!! so happy for you! Can i ask why you chose York over Western & Laurier?

Thank you!! I chose York for several reasons - i'll list a few below:

-i wanted to stay in toronto (and i plan to live/work here in the future so i felt it would be good to make connections in toronto)

-York offered me an incredible financial assistance program/scholarship that's hard to reject! 

-i attended western for my undergrad and wanted a new experience. plus i felt that the faculty there did not particularly align with what was important to me for my MSW experience

-the faculty at York seems really cool and interesting & aligns more with my interests than both uwo/laurier

10 hours ago, girlwithecurls said:

Beyond OGS, UofT doesn't typically offer funding up front. It seems like York treats the program more like a research-based program in terms of funding offered. That being said, there're smaller internal scholarships at UofT that you apply for in September, ranging from $1000ish-$4000ish - not enough for every student, but I was surprised there were that many.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

On 6/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, BCgirl said:

Has anybody/know anyone who has been offered a seat in Western's 2 year MSW waitlist? I have only read a couple of people on here get offered a spot!

I was but I turned it down.