Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Same didn’t get in.

I have 13 year experience in social service working in the field of settlement. I graduated with a 4.0 with a BAsc of family and community social services. Have very limited volunteer experience tho.

Not feeling too bad though. What’s meant to be will be. Hope those who make it in can share their backgrounds to help us work towards it.

34 minutes ago, Jasmin03 said:

Sooooo I just heard back from MSW Laurier part-time (online) program.. Unfortunately did not make the cut.

Good luck to you all :)

Ah! I’m sorry to hear that.... :( I am waiting to hear back too!

Do you mind sharing if you were in the Advanced or Regular Track program for the PT online and the first initial of your last name?? 

19 minutes ago, viglet said:

Same didn’t get in.

I have 13 year experience in social service working in the field of settlement. I graduated with a 4.0 with a BAsc of family and community social services. Have very limited volunteer experience tho.

Not feeling too bad though. What’s meant to be will be. Hope those who make it in can share their backgrounds to help us work towards it.

Wow it sounds like yours was a strong application! Was this for the regular track PT online program at WLU? Can you share the first initial of your last name?

4 minutes ago, MSWRYT said:

Ah! I’m sorry to hear that.... :( I am waiting to hear back too!

Do you mind sharing if you were in the Advanced or Regular Track program for the PT online and the first initial of your last name?? 

36 minutes ago, Pickmeplease said:

Same haha

At least now we know ?

Regular track 

Last name starts with V

Gosh really wish I knew what I could do more. There is only so much volunteering a person can do when they’re commuting and raising a family. I sit in a board of directors, which l though would help. Oh well.... 

3 minutes ago, viglet said:

Regular track 

Last name starts with V

Gosh really wish I knew what I could do more. There is only so much volunteering a person can do when they’re commuting and raising a family. I sit in a board of directors, which l though would help. Oh well.... 

that sucks... I wonder if you can reach out and ask them how you can strengthen your application for next time? I’m sorry.

I am waiting to hear for PT online Regular Track too, last initial is L. I wonder if there is a rhyme or reason as to how they are notifying people. I’m obsessively refreshing my WLU email lol 

16 minutes ago, viglet said:

Regular track 

Last name starts with V

I felt like I had a strong application as well...oh well. When they told me on the phone that it is competitive and I needed at least 10 years of work experience, they weren't kidding. They only took 25 people, I wonder how many applied. 

Edited by Pickmeplease

1 minute ago, jonesing said:

If anyone feels open to sharing, did the rejection letter have any information in it?

I'm waiting on the Laurier PT online regular track too....

Dear Applicant,

After careful consideration of your application, I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to the MSW Online part-time program beginning September 2021.

We received an overwhelming number of applicants that met our minimum qualifications and we only had space for 25 in our program. Applications to the Master of Social Work program are reviewed wholistically taking into account academics, experience, personal statement and references. The decisions are never easy. Entry into the programs, faculties and schools of the university is competitive. Possession of or exceeding the minimum requirements for entry does not guarantee admission.

While we do not have the capacity to provide specific feedback to individual applicants, we can offer the following advice for any future application to the MSW program:

·         Review our minimum academic requirements; ensure you meet or exceed the minimum.

·         Write a well thought out, cohesive and grammatically correct personal statement; Ensure you have reviewed the questions asked and the statements on what we are looking for and reflect on those questions before writing.

·         Choose strong references

·         Submit a thorough and complete admissions package

Additionally, continued work and/or volunteer experience with human service organizations would strengthen any application.

16 minutes ago, Pickmeplease said:

Dear Applicant,

After careful consideration of your application, I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to the MSW Online part-time program beginning September 2021.

We received an overwhelming number of applicants that met our minimum qualifications and we only had space for 25 in our program. Applications to the Master of Social Work program are reviewed wholistically taking into account academics, experience, personal statement and references. The decisions are never easy. Entry into the programs, faculties and schools of the university is competitive. Possession of or exceeding the minimum requirements for entry does not guarantee admission.

While we do not have the capacity to provide specific feedback to individual applicants, we can offer the following advice for any future application to the MSW program:

·         Review our minimum academic requirements; ensure you meet or exceed the minimum.

·         Write a well thought out, cohesive and grammatically correct personal statement; Ensure you have reviewed the questions asked and the statements on what we are looking for and reflect on those questions before writing.

·         Choose strong references

·         Submit a thorough and complete admissions package

Additionally, continued work and/or volunteer experience with human service organizations would strengthen any application.

Thanks for sharing this. 25 applicants!!! That is much less than I thought they accepted! Wow

Hi all, 

Pip from York just called me to say i was taken off the advanced standing waitlist and offered admission!

Sadly (for me missing out on the funding package), I have already accepted and started studying at UofT! I am super happy there too btw! .... Good news for those still on the waitlist, I will be declining my offer so hopefully someone else will get a call sometime next week as she said it will still take a few days before the offer letter is posted on MyFile and until I can formally decline it. 

Best of luck to all!

Edited by mswCan2021

I also got Rejected today from the PT Laurier program. It seems a lot of us did(it is nice to know I am not alone :)). Did anybody get in? If so would you mind sharing your work experience and academic achievement?

Thanks

Just curious to know how many MSW programs everyone usually applies for? I only applied to WLU, and like so many of us, did not get in. 
I wondered if I should have applied for more than 1 program? 

19 hours ago, viglet said:

Same didn’t get in.

Wow!!!  Definitely sounds like a strong application. Did you apply anywhere else?

It’s confusing to me that they only have space for 25 people in an online program... and I wish we could reach out to discuss our applications but I know they said they don’t “have the capacity” to do this. Such a bummer ?

10 minutes ago, ChrisZ said:

Just curious to know how many MSW programs everyone usually applies for? I only applied to WLU, and like so many of us, did not get in. 
I wondered if I should have applied for more than 1 program? 

I applied to a total of 4 MSW-2 year programs: UofT (waitlisted), Western (waitlisted), Windsor (accepted), and Laurier (rejected)- I actually wished I applied to BC for the possibility of escaping Ontario during these COVID times lol.

34 minutes ago, Alex24 said:

Wow!!!  Definitely sounds like a strong application. Did you apply anywhere else?

It’s confusing to me that they only have space for 25 people in an online program... and I wish we could reach out to discuss our applications but I know they said they don’t “have the capacity” to do this. Such a bummer ?

I only applied to Laurier, as it’s the only fully online program.

Windsor asks for in person 2 days a week, alternating weeks. I find that part time schooling plus commuting to work is enough time away from my kids, so I didn’t want to add more time out of the house. 

Honestly I really struggle with how post secondary education is structured. They want work experience, high grades, volunteering, etc. How are those of us who started with nothing supposed to acquire all of these things? I’m luckily that I had most of them, but having had a child as a teen, I have been parenting for all my adult life. I don’t have tons of time to volunteer on top of trying to build my life. /rant lol 

I’m not sure what I’ll do next. I wanted to go into private practice one day, so I need to see what my options are for other online programs. 

39 minutes ago, viglet said:

Windsor asks for in person 2 days a week, alternating weeks. I find that part time schooling plus commuting to work is enough time away from my kids, so I didn’t want to add more time out of the house. 

Honestly I really struggle with how post secondary education is structured. They want work experience, high grades, volunteering, etc. How are those of us who started with nothing supposed to acquire all of these things? I’m luckily that I had most of them, but having had a child as a teen, I have been parenting for all my adult life. I don’t have tons of time to volunteer on top of trying to build my life. /rant lol 

I’m not sure what I’ll do next. I wanted to go into private practice one day, so I need to see what my options are for other online programs. 

They definitely have unreasonable expectations. It’s difficult to balance without children so I can only imagine how much harder it is! I was told before that Laurier expects at least 10 years experience ... they really want someone to “practice” social work for 10 years before being good enough to do their MSW?? Its a little ridiculous to me... especially when there is a huge need for social workers and we all know we won’t make the money we deserve only having a BSW. 

I *think* Dalhousies MSW has a fully online option! I believe applications are due November 1st and they only have a September start date so you should check that out!

I was also rejected from Laurier's online program yesterday. Honestly, not too disappointed considering the feedback we've seen over the last few months in terms of folks not getting in with over a decade of experience. 

Maybe it's just me but I was also a little put off by the email that was sent out. It looked like it was a mass BCC to everyone with a generic message that could be applied to any program, any school, any profession, etc. I'm waitlisted for UofT's advanced standing MSW but also mindful that the waitlist doesn't tend to move, so I'm shifting mindsets to work mode until next year. Using it as a sign that I need a break from school after going 5 years straight through fall/winter/summer semesters - stay positive folks :)

23 hours ago, KayMay said:

Hey I am definitely on the same boat as you waiting to hear back! I was looking at last years GradCafe and the year before that and finding that in the past there was movement near the end of may and June. However, it might be different this year because there has been an influx in applications and most likely deferrals. Here's an article that might explain it better but it has definitely not been a conventional year for applying thats for sure! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/grad-school-applications-covid-1.5914766

Same boat as both of you waiting for Western and Windsor as well. I spoke to someone at Kings who said some years theres a ton of movement and some theres not as much, I hope we start seeing some movement. Positive thinking!!

3 hours ago, viglet said:

I agree. I have over 20 years of direct and indirect experience in social service agencies. 
I work full time, and have a family. So it’s not reasonable for me to apply to other provinces and expect my family to move. I am limited to online part time options. I also struggle with how many post secondary programs are structured. 
If education to considered to be life long- then institutions need to have more flexibility for learners with full time jobs, families, and other responsibilities.