Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

1 hour ago, Unicornfrrf said:

Hey, guys this might be a stupid question, but what would you say is the easiest MSW program to get into in canada? My first choice when I apply will be UofT but I really want backup options so I am not too disappointed if I get rejected from UofT

1 hour ago, ashleyym said:

Hey!!! I am not sure getting into any program is easy to be honest. Getting accepted into any MSW program is an honour. My best piece of advice would be just to apply to the most MSW programs as you can due to some having more spots than others. More applications creates a higher chance of getting into an MSW program.

Definitely not a stupid question! I want to second what ashleyym said, in that I really don't think any program is necessarily easy. I think some programs are easier to get into for some people, depending on how much the particular program values/weights grades vs work experience vs research experience. For example I felt much better about my UofT app than Laurier app, because I knew quite a few people who had gotten in directly from undergrad without a tonne of direct experience, but with some research experience. Since I knew that Laurier was pretty upfront about putting a lot of emphasis on work experience (which I didn't have much of), I knew my application there wasn't as strong. Lots of people get into UofT and don't get into other schools and lots of people get into other schools and not UofT - it doesn't mean that some schools are necessarily easier to get into than others, but it does mean that some schools are a better fit for some people.

My advice would be to research the programs and see which ones are a better fit for you in terms of where your application will be strongest. I'm not sure if you're looking at 1y programs (and so already have a BSW), but my backup plan was applying to second-degree entry BSW programs. If you're really worried about getting into MSWs, a BSW is usually only one extra year of school altogether, and if you do the Waterloo one it ends up being almost the same amount. I don't know that it's necessarily easier to get in with a BSW, but the ratio is a little more in your favour.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

Recently started reading following this thread as I was accepted into Laurier's FT 2 year MSW program last week. Last name starts with B.

Received the acceptance email on April 13th @ 2:11pm but didn't see the email until the next morning! Needless to say my car ride to work that day was filled with happy tears - more like happy sobbing actually. I had thoroughly prepared myself that I may not have gotten in as I decided very last minute to apply and put my application together in a month's time while working FT. 

So to all the folks still waiting for responses or received rejection letters this is what got me through the waiting and unknown: Have love and compassion for yourself and hope for tomorrow, whatever you and tomorrow offers you. I found peace in accepting that whatever would come my way I would offer gratitude right back. We are all doing our best, during a pandemic no less, and I know that you'll have the opportunity to grow and shine in this world whether you're in an MSW program in the coming months or not. ?

I wish you all the best!

38 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Does anyone know when people started to get pulled off the waitlist for U of T's 2-year MSW in past years? And has anyone heard anything so far this year?

I saw from last year's forum the earliest someone heard was about 3 weeks after acceptances went out. Most people heard about a week to 3 weeks after the deadline to accept an offer passed which I believe this year is May 8th/9th. Hopefully we'll see some movement in mid May! 

15 hours ago, socialworkerplantmom said:

Has anyone heard from the online part-time program at Laurier? I'm getting nervous!

This is from Laurier's website, hope the formatting comes through. Looks like May for decisions for PT stream, although it says 2022. ?

Part-time MSW Program Application Timeline
Entry Term Application Opens OUAC Application Closes for Step 1 Supplemental Documentation Due as per Step 2 Target for Decisions on Application1
Fall (starting Fall 2022) Mid-October December 1 December 15 May
Winter March 1 April 15 May 1 September
Spring June 1 July 15 August 1 January
Edited by kouklah

I got accepted to UWindsor MSW (regular track) and wait listed at UofT and Western. I was doing some more research today into the MSW program at UW and realized it was not clinical at all. I know there is a possibility of movement for the wait list-I am praying from UofT. However, if there isn't, does anyone know if I would be able to purse clinical social work jobs without having the clinical social work educational background if I still decide to do my MSW at UW this fall?

Thank you for any insight!!!! :)

2 minutes ago, ashleyym said:

I got accepted to UWindsor MSW (regular track) and wait listed at UofT and Western. I was doing some more research today into the MSW program at UW and realized it was not clinical at all. I know there is a possibility of movement for the wait list-I am praying from UofT. However, if there isn't, does anyone know if I would be able to purse clinical social work jobs without having the clinical social work educational background if I still decide to do my MSW at UW this fall?

I really think that you could! I know at my workplace (CMHA) we have some clinical based positions/positions that would work as a good foot in the door for clinical roles, and while they require a MSW +registration for some of those positions, they don't specifically focus on what school it came from when hiring because experience is much more favoured.

I'd suggest taking part in as many clinical professional development and clinical-based volunteer opportunities as you can over the next 2 years, and those will help out with future job apps in tandem with your MSW :)

Not sure what Windsor's practicum placement is like either, but if you can go pretty clinical with that I think you'd be set!

1 hour ago, ashleyym said:

Did you get accepted to UW off the waitlist?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply in the next year and I was wondering if research was a necessary component for MSW? I have lots of work and volunteer experience in the field but no research. Do you think that would hinder my chances? Thank you in advance! 

1 hour ago, caffeinejelly said:

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply in the next year and I was wondering if research was a necessary component for MSW? I have lots of work and volunteer experience in the field but no research. Do you think that would hinder my chances? Thank you in advance! 

I think this will depend a lot on which universities you apply to, but I will say that I had no research listed on my resume and still got an acceptance to Laurier this year. If you have a strong experience profile and a knockout personal statement, I'd say you've got a fighting chance.

Edited by KnitFlamingo

14 hours ago, caffeinejelly said:

Hi everyone,

If you mean a necessary component for being accepted into programs, no not in my experience. I got into 3 out of 4 programs I applied to with zero research on my resume /in my background. However like the other person said it might depend on the school.

I think every msw program has a required research course, if that’s what you’re asking. You don’t have to do a thesis though.

Hi everyone!

I have been creeping this page for awhile now, but I thought it’d be nice for you guys to have some info from me LOL. I have my BSW from Laurier and I applied to western and Laurier fast track MSW programs for the fall. I really should have applied to more!! 

Declined from Western

Waitlisted from Laurier on March 24! Anyone accepted from this realm? Or anyone have info for me if you have been accepted to the fast track? They said I have until august to be accepted and I’m just going crazy. You guys have helped me feel sane no one gets it!

22 hours ago, ashleyym said:

I applied this year to UWindsor for the first time as my third choice and was accepted to it but was later accepted to UofT.

In my opinion, I thought the program was more aligned with UofT and Western rather than York and Ryerson. Windsor has similar specialization options (i.e. child welfare and gerontology) in the advanced standing program and I am sure you can get a clinical placement within the Windsor area. If you are planning to live in Toronto and study at Windsor then I imagine the placement options will be more difficult to find as you are competing with the other Toronto schools. I was personally going to attend Windsor if I did not get into UofT so I would say accept the offer if you want to get your MSW this year or decline, get more work experience, and reapply to other schools for Fall 2022..... I was waitlisted last year at UofT and saw no movement at all but depends on the year and your application i guess!

22 hours ago, KnitFlamingo said:

I think this will depend a lot on which universities you apply to, but I will say that I had no research listed on my resume and still got an acceptance to Laurier this year. If you have a strong experience profile and a knockout personal statement, I'd say you've got a fighting chance.

Hey! Thanks so much for your response :) I really appreciate it 

That is such a relief, thank you! 

9 hours ago, JMW89 said:

If you mean a necessary component for being accepted into programs, no not in my experience. I got into 3 out of 4 programs I applied to with zero research on my resume /in my background. However like the other person said it might depend on the school.

I think every msw program has a required research course, if that’s what you’re asking. You don’t have to do a thesis though.

Thanks for your reponse!! 

Congratulations on being accepted :)

That's really great to know - thank you! 

Hello everyone! Would people attending Carleton’s 2-year MSW starting fall 2021 be interested in having a Facebook group?

I am currently on the waitlist for U of T but have been accepted to Carleton so if I made the group but got off the waitlist  someone else would need to take over the group admin. 

Hope everyone is keeping well! Does anyone know which 2 year MSW programs have yet to inform applicants? With a bunch of people on waitlists at various school it would be helpful information to know. I know York has yet to notify applicants, but I am wondering if there were any other schools?