Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

2 hours ago, hellohellohello321 said:

Hi there! I was accepted to Laurier for the 2-year MSW program and was waitlisted for U of T 2-year MSW program. Does anyone know if I can accept the Laurier offer while remaining on the wait-list for U Of T in hopes of getting in? Is anyone else doing this? Let me know! 

I am in the same position as you! 

1 hour ago, Wandering-Nomad said:

Question: I know we will be notified through email whether or not we are successful candidates, but I was wondering did anything change on Loris when you were accepted or rejected? 

hello :) Loris changed for me once I clicked on admissions and the program- it showed the offer letter! Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, Msw2021please said:

hello :) Loris changed for me once I clicked on admissions and the program- it showed the offer letter! Hope this helps.

You're right, I can see the offer letter if I click on the program name. Thank you!

For York, my status has changed to, "No Decision Yet - Currently Under Consideration" this morning. Anyone else? Hoping I will hear back sooner than they anticipated in their email.

34 minutes ago, kouklah said:

You're right, I can see the offer letter if I click on the program name. Thank you!

For York, my status has changed to, "No Decision Yet - Currently Under Consideration" this morning. Anyone else? Hoping I will hear back sooner than they anticipated in their email.

What did it look like before? Mine has said that since January

Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the process of taking back an acceptance from Western. I accepted in March because the deadline was so early, but I am now potentially deciding to go with UofT. 

5 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

What did it look like before? Mine has said that since January

Oh, interesting. It just said, "No Decision Yet". I am probably reading too much into it!

22 minutes ago, SiMSW said:

Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the process of taking back an acceptance from Western. I accepted in March because the deadline was so early, but I am now potentially deciding to go with UofT. 

Probably best to email the school and ask them. Did you pay a deposit? If not, I'm thinking you should be okay if you just let them know - that's what waitlists are for, after all.

23 minutes ago, SiMSW said:

Hey, not sure how helpful I'll be here cause I'm not speaking from first hand experience, but someone earlier in this thread said that for Windsor they just contacted the admissions contact (so whether you've been contacted by a specific person from Western, or simply just socialwork@kings.uwo.ca) and said they'd like to revoke their acceptance. Congrats on multi-school acceptances!!! That's amazing!

6 minutes ago, SocialWork123 said:

Hey, not sure how helpful I'll be here cause I'm not speaking from first hand experience, but someone earlier in this thread said that for Windsor they just contacted the admissions contact (so whether you've been contacted by a specific person from Western, or simply just socialwork@kings.uwo.ca) and said they'd like to revoke their acceptance. Congrats on multi-school acceptances!!! That's amazing!

Thank you for the suggestion and the congrats! 

For those who accepted their uoft offers. Are both the first 2 lines of the condition of acceptance referring to the transcript? First paragraph says complete record and the second asks for a transcript.. are those 2 different things? I thought the transcript would be a complete record as well. Sorry, I’m just confused. 

13 hours ago, SiMSW said:

Following this question, I need some help. Could someone give me the advantages of going to U of T! I just landed my dream job in my city and want to work in it for the first year so i'm wondering if school will be remote this fall?

Edited by MelaninandJustice
Question was answered already.

5 hours ago, MelaninandJustice said:

Following this question, I need some help. Could someone give me the advantages of going to U of T! I just landed my dream job in my city and want to work in it for the first year so i'm wondering if school will be remote this fall?

I think it’s quite unclear whether school will be fully remote- it depends on how the variants affect us, rates of vaccinations etc. I would assume that regardless, most social work placements will be at least partly in person. If you’ve landed a FT job you’re really excited about, I see no harm in deferring your acceptance to UofT. More work experience in the field is always good- and is a great opportunity to clarify your career interests. That way you may have a better idea of what you want to get out of your masters when you do get it. 

Edited by soph.tc

2 minutes ago, soph.tc said:

I think it’s quite unclear whether school will be fully remote- it depends on how the variants affect us, rates of vaccinations etc. I would assume that regardless, most social work placements will be at least partly in person. If you’ve landed a FT job you’re really excited about, I see no harm in deferring your acceptance to UofT. More work experience in the field is always good- and is a great opportunity to clarify your career interests. That way you may have a better idea of what you want to get out of your masters when you do get it. I’ll be starting sept 2021 and worked for two years prior and am really glad I did.

Yeah it's true that I could defer my acceptance but I really wouldn't like tooooo though. I've been working in the field for over 6 years and just want to get the MSW done y'know? It just sucks that this area of work is what I'm passionate about. I know very intently what I want to do too for the MSW. I'm sooo torn. Decisions Decisions :( 

I've been looking on the UofT website and they've been saying that they plan to open in September. I'm a little confused as i've seen at least three or so different emails as a point of contact. Does anyone know who I would be able to contact ( via email) so I can ask questions?

Just now, MelaninandJustice said:

Yeah it's true that I could defer my acceptance but I really wouldn't like tooooo though. I've been working in the field for over 6 years and just want to get the MSW done y'know? It just sucks that this area of work is what I'm passionate about. I know very intently what I want to do too for the MSW. I'm sooo torn. Decisions Decisions :(

I've been looking on the UofT website and they've been saying that they plan to open in September. I'm a little confused as i've seen at least three or so different emails as a point of contact. Does anyone know who I would be able to contact ( via email) so I can ask questions?

That makes a lot of sense! I honestly think that although they may have a plan, they really won’t be able to say if it will definitely be in person- just because of how quickly things have been changing with the pandemic. This is definitely a stressful time to be making big career/school decisions. I wish you all the best! 

Quick question, does anyone know if you take an elective course in the summer as part of my graduation requirement and submit the official transcript to the MSW school showing my BSW before September, do you know if MSW programs still accept students in September?- I know msw programs are conditional upon official transcript, just wondering when we would have to submit them?! 

9 minutes ago, cathySW said:

Quick question, does anyone know if you take an elective course in the summer as part of my graduation requirement and submit the official transcript to the MSW school showing my BSW before September, do you know if MSW programs still accept students in September?- I know msw programs are conditional upon official transcript, just wondering when we would have to submit them?! 

If you have an offer with conditions, it should tell you the deadline for those conditions to be met. For example, I received an email with additional information for next steps, as well as an acceptance confirmation page on LORIS telling me that I must submit my official transcripts prior to a specific date in June. You may want to get in direct contact with admissions of the school in question to work out whether they will accommodate your situation.