Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

2 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

I don't know if they're doing it alphabetically, it could be completely random, or the order in which they went through the applications.

Fingers crossed that’s the case! I did see that this process is probably dragged out for about a week (according to previous years) so I feel if that’s the case then it might be random

Question: Is it a possiblity that Laurie has paused sending out acceptances and rejections? It doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything today and I am going crazy refreshing my email every 5 minutes lol I just want to know at this point so I can move on. I am trying so hard to be patient, but I can't help how I am feeling :( 

1 minute ago, Wandering-Nomad said:

Question: Is it a possiblity that Laurie has paused sending out acceptances and rejections? It doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything today and I am going crazy refreshing my email every 5 minutes lol I just want to know at this point so I can move on. I am trying so hard to be patient, but I can't help how I am feeling :( 

I suppose it's possible, but it's more probable that they aren't following any particular order and the volume of applicants is much, much greater than the members on this forum. It could be pure, unfortunate chance that more people on here haven't heard yet ?

29 minutes ago, Emilys1024 said:

Anyone get off the waitlist at Windsor for the 2 year MSW? Also for those who have been accepted, when do you have until to accept your offers? Good luck to everyone!

The acceptances were sent out at different times but I got mine on March 5 and had 3 weeks to accept the offer :)

Still waiting to hear from Windsor! Been checking everyday for the past 2 weeks. In March, people said they heard within a week. My process date hasn't changed. Soo anxious! I also received an offer for a job interview for a full time position.. so I have no idea what the future is looking like for me. It's been weird graduating during a pandemic.

Edited by SocialWerkIt

1 hour ago, thatcoffeelover said:

Just got an email from York for 2-year saying there's a delay in responses, so they're aiming for the latter part of May, and we'll get notified via phone call and on MyFile if we're accepted.

I got the same email. Welp the long wait continues I guess. 

12 hours ago, emmsw98 said:

Hey everyone! I am new to this page but I was accepted into the MSW program at Western/King's in early March. I am just hoping to connect with anyone who is also starting the program and see if there has been a Facebook group made yet. If so, could someone please send me the link? Thanks so much :) 

Hey! If you find a link to a FB group can you post here please! I have accepted my offer at Western and am waitlisted at UofT right now so will likely stick with Western!

1 minute ago, girlwithecurls said:

Hey! If you find a link to a FB group can you post here please! I have accepted my offer at Western and am waitlisted at UofT right now so will likely stick with Western!

me too! still waiting on decisions from laurier/york & on the waitlist for uoft but i've accepted the western offer. so i'd like to join any groups that are made since so far its looking like western is most likely where ill be headed

17 hours ago, MSWAPP2021 said:

Congrats! Did you apply for the regular in person track? I applied for the online part time MSW for working professionals and am still waiting to hear back

Thanks! I applied for the regular in person one.

Just posting for those of you who are waiting. I got my acceptance to Laurier an hour ago via email! 2 year program, international student, last name C. I'll be turning down the offer.

Edited by pchitnuc

21 hours ago, MSW 2021 said:

I received offer letters to UBCO and Laurier and am trying to decide between the two. If anyone has any insight or pros and cons of the two programs that would be great to help me with the decision. Thanks!

Congrats on getting into those programs! Did you apply to UBC's MSW with a Bachelor of Social Work?  I didn't end up applying there because I remember reading that they were not accepting people to do a foundation year until at least 2022 (which I would apparently need since I have a Bachelor's degree other than Social Work). 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:42 PM, xrc742 said:

A little late, but just wanted to respond to the question from @BCgirl, as I was in the last (2019) MSWF cohort at UVic, and am currently finishing off my second year of the program in the MSWA. 

First off, congrats on your acceptance! I know that the faculty has been extremely stressed out all semester going over the applications as they received a record number of them this year!!

I absolutely echo everything @afk612 said about the program and the School, from their perspective of the BSW.

The course content is extremely critical, anti-oppressive, and decolonial. There is zero clinical content (yes, less even than the BSW program). I imagine that if you have been accepted to the program, then you will be aligned with this. Although I feel tremendously grateful for the ways this content has pushed me to grow and I think that this type of social work education is extremely valuable, as someone without a ton of practice experience prior to entering the program it means that I will be graduating feeling quite unprepared to actually enter practice and the types of roles my fancy degree supposedly qualifies me for. It also means that if you wish to sit the registration exam, then you need to expect to spend several months cramming for it after you graduate, as none of the exam content is covered in the program.

In the MSWF, you will be part of a very small cohort (we were 13 in our year) and receive in person classes together for the first year, and then transition to the completely online MSWA along with all the new students accepted to that program for the second year. I absolutely adore my MSWF cohort and it is our shared connection and support for each other which has gotten me through grad school. The program overall is extremely intense and the workload is frankly unrealistic. It is particularly inaccessible to students with disabilities or caring commitments as there is no option to do the MSWF year part time. Several of my classmates did reduce their courseload to part time in this second MSWA year due to exhaustion and the necessity of juggling paid employment, as there is basically zero funding available for grad students in this program.

The quality of all of the teaching during my first year was exceptional and the commitment and dedication of all of the faculty is very apparent. There are faculty members here who have been enormously influential in shaping the social worker I will be, as well as just the person that I am in the world, and I have a huge amount of gratitude and appreciation for that. 

However, the transition to online classes has been ROUGH, and tbh the quality of my educational experience has dropped massively. The interactive component of these classes is usually limited to mandatory online discussion forum posts, and sometimes profs will record a short lecture or link to YouTube videos. It's really not great, and I often just feel like a number now. The pedagogical style feels pretty incongruent with the critical content we are learning. 

Furthermore, despite the stated commitment to social justice and anti-oppressive principles, the School as a whole manages to be pretty opaque, dismissive to student feedback, and generally profoundly lacking in student support. There have been countless frustrating issues for myself and my classmates over the past couple of years with the program administration, its lack of organization, and its failure to actually centre student's needs. Also, as @afk612, the practicum department is breathtakingly disorganized.

I do think that if you are interested in settling on the west coast for a career, then it probably makes sense to do your program here, as it will help you build connections and network - but I wouldn't think it's a dealbreaker. Think about where you want to be living for the next few years and the *type* of education you want. For what it's worth, if you were accepted into UVic, I would imagine that you are aligned with a more radical and critical analysis - and from what I know about the U of T program, you may struggle with the absence of such perspectives there.

Anyway, hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions:):)

Thanks so much for posting this... I am of course not happy to hear that you have experienced frustrating issues from UVic as well, but it is validating to hear that I'm not the only one.