Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 4/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, mswf2021 said:

I've been accepted to this program as well!! Currently have offers from Uvic and UFV, waiting on Laurier's online part-time. Leaning towards UFV over UVic but still trying to figure things out 

Congrats! Message me if you decide to go with UFV! I'd love to start connecting with the cohort. 

4 hours ago, Empathymatters said:

Congrats on getting into those programs! Did you apply to UBC's MSW with a Bachelor of Social Work?  I didn't end up applying there because I remember reading that they were not accepting people to do a foundation year until at least 2022 (which I would apparently need since I have a Bachelor's degree other than Social Work). 

I applied to UBC Okanagan with a Degree in Psychology and around three years of mental health work experience.

4 minutes ago, MSW 2021 said:

I applied to UBC Okanagan with a Degree in Psychology and around three years of mental health work experience.

Nice! Maybe I received the information from another UBC campus? If not then maybe they needed two year full time work experience after studying at the time of applying! I was a bit under 2 years when applications would've been due.

3 hours ago, LavenderPearl said:

I GOT ACCEPTED TO LAURIER! The 2 year non-bsw program and will be accepting as its the only school I applied. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!

Congrats, classmate! Hope we'll get to meet for real in the fall (c'mon, vaccines!!)

6 hours ago, shehra said:

me too! still waiting on decisions from laurier/york & on the waitlist for uoft but i've accepted the western offer. so i'd like to join any groups that are made since so far its looking like western is most likely where ill be headed

Someone else made a Facebook group so I will copy the link here for you!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455135135560564/?ref=share

6 hours ago, girlwithecurls said:

Hey! If you find a link to a FB group can you post here please! I have accepted my offer at Western and am waitlisted at UofT right now so will likely stick with Western!

Hey! Someone else made a Facebook group so I will copy the link here for you :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455135135560564/?ref=share

3 hours ago, Empathymatters said:

Nice! Maybe I received the information from another UBC campus? If not then maybe they needed two year full time work experience after studying at the time of applying! I was a bit under 2 years when applications would've been due.

I believe you were looking at the main campus in Vancouver. I had wanted to apply to that program as well but the 2 year program was suspended so the only option was Okanagan!

9 hours ago, SocialWerkIt said:

Still waiting to hear from Windsor! Been checking everyday for the past 2 weeks. In March, people said they heard within a week. My process date hasn't changed. Soo anxious! I also received an offer for a job interview for a full time position.. so I have no idea what the future is looking like for me. It's been weird graduating during a pandemic.

I'm also still waiting on Windsor. My Process Date keeps on changing but when I emailed the Graduate Secretary at Windsor she says that's common. I really want to go to Windsor!! 

On 4/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, MSW 2021 said:

I received offer letters to UBCO and Laurier and am trying to decide between the two. If anyone has any insight or pros and cons of the two programs that would be great to help me with the decision. Thanks!

Congratulations! No matter what you end up choosing, both of them are really great programs. I think it would really depend on what you want your area of practice to be and where in Canada you would like to see yourself practicing in the future. 

Laurier might be the better option if you're looking to work in a macro-level/research capacity or if you have a strong interest in social justice. You are required to take two research methods classes in both the Regular and Advanced Standing tracks. While you can definitely specialize in courses for micro-level practice in your Advanced year at Laurier, keep in mind that many of the clinically-focused practicum sites (e.g., hospitals and mental health clinics) in Ontario already have established partnerships with the UofT. It might be difficult to secure a placement in this area of social work especially if you're looking to practice in Ontario after you graduate. 

On the other hand, UBC Okanagan exclusively specializes in direct or clinical social work practice. There are much fewer course offerings for critical/transformative social work practice compared to Laurier. If you're looking to work in a clinical or counselling capacity in the future, UBCO might be the better option. The biggest drawback to UBCO is that its campus is much smaller than the main one in Vancouver, but your practicum will likely take place in clinically-focused sites throughout British Columbia and Alberta where you will work directly with clients. 

Wish you all the best with making your decision! 

Just received my rejection from Laurier 2y in-person. Honestly I'm not surprised and am just glad the wait is over and I can accept my offer to UofT. I was leaning that way anyways, and this just makes my decision easy. Congrats to those who got in, and crossing my fingers that everyone else who applied hears back soon!

7 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Just received my rejection from Laurier 2y in-person. Honestly I'm not surprised and am just glad the wait is over and I can accept my offer to UofT. I was leaning that way anyways, and this just makes my decision easy. Congrats to those who got in, and crossing my fingers that everyone else who applied hears back soon!

Me too, see you at U of T!

10 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Same here! See you at UofT and Best of luck to everyone on this forum!

I still haven't recieved anything. Honestly, at this point in time I am resigned to assume that I will be receiving a rejection from Laurier. Surprisingly, however, I believe I'm okay with that. Love the positive vibes here ♥️ Just remember you can always try again or maybe pursue another path that may take you closer to what it is you want to do ♥️ Either way hope you continue to make a difference in the lives of others ♥️