Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Just now, ashleyym said:

Did they pause sending out emails?

I could think of a few reasons for this; if they're being sent manually, the admissions team might be on lunch break, or they might be working from home and the high volume of emails stresses the computer. If they're being sent automatically, they might be on a software-determined break to optimize machine performance/LORIS updating. Either way, I hope you all hear soon!!!

Just now, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Question for anyone accepted - did your decision letter talk about (internal) funding? I know Laurier doesn't give a lot like York or anything, but ik they said they give some (unlike UofT)

My letter didn't. My confirmation when I accepted the offer said to review the terms on the graduate funding page if my letter of admission said anything about it, but it looked like boilerplate stuff that goes on any admissions confirmation, including undergrad. There's going to be a mandatory orientation session in June that will probably cover more about this, since the info session in the fall didn't say anything about internal award procedures.

Just now, KnitFlamingo said:

My letter didn't. My confirmation when I accepted the offer said to review the terms on the graduate funding page if my letter of admission said anything about it, but it looked like boilerplate stuff that goes on any admissions confirmation, including undergrad. There's going to be a mandatory orientation session in June that will probably cover more about this, since the info session in the fall didn't say anything about internal award procedures.

Okay, thanks! I know they mentioned internal funding in the info session I went to but you're right, they didn't talk about the process - maybe it's awarded at a later date. Congrats on your acceptance!

4 minutes ago, caffeinegirl1 said:

Do we think that Laurier’s doing their acceptances alphabetically? Last name is N and I’m so impatient, especially after waiting so long for UofT lol

I feel you. I wish they could just send everything out instead of dragging it on for days. Its mid April. We just want to know.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, april21 said:

Received my offer from UFV (MSWF) this morning! I haven't seen much posted for this program, but message me if you got in, I'd love to chat. 

I've been accepted to this program as well!! Currently have offers from Uvic and UFV, waiting on Laurier's online part-time. Leaning towards UFV over UVic but still trying to figure things out 

2 hours ago, TikiRogers said:

Hello! Never posted on this forum before; been a lurker on this thread though for a long time. I have applied to clinical psych in the past and never heard back either, from anywhere (no interview, ridiculously protracted wait for an update only to get a rejection). I've applied in the past to several clinical psychology programs in southern Ontario. (Not specifying here because what I'm about to share doesn't sound good for any of these universities in terms of transparency or equity of process.)

My application doesn't sound like it was as strong as yours (I didn't have a publication, and I had a very rocky period in my third year of undergrad that affected my grades), but I nonetheless wanted to give you a pointer because I think I've cracked the process after all those years of applying: you've almost certainly got to know the professor you're applying to. A person whose application was less competitive than mine was accepted to a Toronto school because she was already an RA in her prof's lab, and said prof had told her she could join the lab as a grad student as long as her GRE scores were good and she maintained her grades. 

Yet another person I know was virtually guaranteed a spot on the condition of her maintaining grades etc. 

In a similar vein, I've heard about profs asking for recommendations about whom to take on as a grad student. 

All in all, I suspect it is a largely an inside job in many cases. Due to the sheer volume of applications, and the competitiveness of many of them, they find a way to filter people out (without the trouble of interviewing them) and I think they do so in the most unsavoury way. That's to say, I think the process is rigged. Another way to think about this could be that you've got to know and have a good relationship with the professor you're applying to. They and they only are your route to getting in - they can choose to disregard more competitive applications on the basis of familiarity with a certain candidate. 

You sound very motivated, so you'd probably already do this anyway, but I would try to collaborate with a professor on a publication or get involved in a lab again if you are in fact determined to get into clinical psych above all else. It requires a little manoeuvring and subtlety (I do not have those skills lol) but this is the way I would try if I were to apply again. 

Hope this helps you, if not practically, then in coming to terms with why getting into clinical psych proved such a challenge (as it does for so many)! 

WOW this was super insightful and well-written. I've heard this so many times and it's so true! You pretty much need to have somewhat of a relationship in order to get into clinical psych- even current clinical psychologists have told me this. It really is rigged and not objective at all. It's really upsetting for aspiring psychologists but also for other fields (e.g., social work) that will inevitably become more competitive to get into because I know a lot of people who can't get into clinical psych (like me) will flock to social work, driving up the # of applications. I have reached out to profs before in clinical psych asking to work in their lab but nothing ever followed through. I'm at peace knowing I have done everything I can and I know social work is very similar and I've been accepted! :) 

Is anyone planning on making a group for the 2 year MSW at uoft? It would be nice to connect with some of you all before fall so please feel free to private message me :) we can get a heads up on building connections. 

Edited by 1996Msw2021

1 minute ago, 1996Msw2021 said:

Is anyone planning on making a group for the 2 year MSW at uoft? It would be nice to connect with some of you all before fall so please feel free to private message me :) we can get a heads up on building connections. 

yes I agree!!!! :) 

29 minutes ago, 1996Msw2021 said:

Looks like there is one! Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1071656829976018/?notif_id=1618329592390315&notif_t=group_r2j_approved&ref=notif

Let me know if it works. 

1 hour ago, mswf2021 said:

I've been accepted to this program as well!! Currently have offers from Uvic and UFV, waiting on Laurier's online part-time. Leaning towards UFV over UVic but still trying to figure things out 

Bah, I am waiting to hear back from Laurier's online part-time as well.. let me know when you've heard back! Apparently they have sent out a bunch of acceptances for the full-time 2 yr program.. I am refreshing my page every hour

13 minutes ago, Jasmin03 said:

Bah, I am waiting to hear back from Laurier's online part-time as well.. let me know when you've heard back! Apparently they have sent out a bunch of acceptances for the full-time 2 yr program.. I am refreshing my page every hour

I think people are hearing back from the in person program! I don't think online offers will be sent until May/June