Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

I got wait listed at U of T at 6:21pm EST. My last name starts with K. My heart goes out to all of you who haven't heard yet - it's been a stressful time! 

I also got wait listed at Western and Carleton, rejected from Victoria, and accepted to Dalhousie.

Edited by sammyk

1 minute ago, sammyk said:

I got wait listed at U of T at 6:21pm EST. My last name starts with K. My heart goes out to all of you who haven't heard yet - it's been a stressful time! 

I also got wait listed at Western and Carleton, rejected from Victoria, and accepted to Dalhousie.

Congrats on the acceptance to Dal! That’s a huge accomplishment, are you going to take it?

6 minutes ago, MSWstress2021 said:

Have you tried to have someone look over your application who is either a professor in the program or reached out to U of T? Right now is a busy time, but in the summer you could reach out to them for advice. 

It is also very helpful to talk to professors who teach in the program!

I have. I've had a professor from a different faculty look it over. He teaches at UofT himself, he said himself I have a solid application so I'm not sure what I'm missing at this point. I know my GPA isn't the greatest being at 3.7 but I've seen others get in with lower. I'm really at a loss 

Just now, sofiahats said:

I have. I've had a professor from a different faculty look it over. He teaches at UofT himself, he said himself I have a solid application so I'm not sure what I'm missing at this point. I know my GPA isn't the greatest being at 3.7 but I've seen others get in with lower. I'm really at a loss 

Have you thought about applying for a post-bsw and then doing an advanced msw?

12 minutes ago, MSWstress2021 said:

I am curious why people would prefer U of T over Western? Also those who applied to Laurier and U of T which is your top choice?

Personally for me, it's a matter of distance and the fact the UofT has a lot of sway on getting good placements in Toronto including hospitals.

5 minutes ago, Odyssey417 said:

Congrats on the acceptance to Dal! That’s a huge accomplishment, are you going to take it?

Thank you so much! I actually did accept it already and paid my deposit when I heard in February because they only gave two weeks to accept and I knew I wouldn't hear back from other schools by then. I'm likely going to revoke my acceptance to Dal if I get accepted to U of T. 

Last name O. Still no update from U of T. Curious, when did we hear of the last acceptance? Did they stop coming out this AM? And has anyone heard anything this evening? Or do we think they are done for the night/maybe even the weekend?

1 minute ago, AlexaS said:

Have you thought about applying for a post-bsw and then doing an advanced msw?

I was considering doing a 1 year BSW but I don't have the money to go away from home which is something I'd have to do as the 1 year BSW is offered quite far from where I live.

2 minutes ago, sofiahats said:

I was considering doing a 1 year BSW but I don't have the money to go away from home which is something I'd have to do as the 1 year BSW is offered quite far from where I live.

Yeah, it sucks that the post-degree bsw's in the GTA are two years, it makes it very difficult. My fingers are crossed for you that you will get off the waitlist!

19 minutes ago, MSWstress2021 said:

I am curious why people would prefer U of T over Western? Also those who applied to Laurier and U of T which is your top choice?

If I didn't have kids who I cannot move with and uproot their lives as one starts high school, I'd be applying across the country. U of T is actually a little too clinical for me and i'm much more interested in an extremely critical social justice oriented program. I know I have a 4% chance at York but they're definitely one of the schools who would best align with my interests. Ryerson as well but I don't have my BSW. 

11 minutes ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

Still haven't heard from UofT, really hard not having any closure going into the weekend...preparing myself for a rejection. Going to be a tough weekend

Hello fellow O! Crossing my fingers and praying to any God who might exist that they aren't assholes who leave you hanging over the weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Hello fellow O! Crossing my fingers and praying to any God who might exist that they aren't assholes who leave you hanging over the weekend. 

I'm heartbroken, I can't believe they're going to let the rest of us who haven't heard agonize over this all weekend, just to most likely receive a rejection. I can't see any good news coming out after tonight. not very hopeful, thanks for the best wishes

3 minutes ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

I'm heartbroken, I can't believe they're going to let the rest of us who haven't heard agonize over this all weekend, just to most likely receive a rejection. I can't see any good news coming out after tonight. not very hopeful, thanks for the best wishes

I feel the exact same way. It's very frustrating, I also don't get it because they did send out some rejections already, so why not just send out them all. 

1 hour ago, sofiahats said:

Hi there, if you don't mind me asking, but do you mind sharing which 1 year post-degree BSW programs you're referring to? Thank you!

9 hours ago, kouklah said:

Still waiting on York as well! Also Laurier... ? Does anyone know if the Loris portal will change in some way to let us know our application has been reviewed? I don't see anything that says "submitted" or "decision pending" like York. I know it's been submitted though because I can see all my actions and I have a receipt email.

From reading previous threads it doesn’t change..... but I didn’t get a receipt email ?? it does say on the loris page that everything was submitted though 

39 minutes ago, hopefulMSW21 said:

Hi there, if you don't mind me asking, but do you mind sharing which 1 year post-degree BSW programs you're referring to? Thank you!

Hey! The program I was looking at specifically is through Waterloo! Here's the link to their website: https://uwaterloo.ca/school-of-social-work/future-students-bsw-ft 

7 hours ago, hopefulMSW21 said:

Waitlisted at UofT (last name B), and rejected from UNBC - complete double whammy today lol 

Just out of curiosity, given that there were over 890 applicants for 140 spots at UofT - what are the chances of getting off the waitlist?? 

How do you know that 890 people applied?

51 minutes ago, hopefulMSW21 said:

9 minutes ago, sofiahats said:

Hey! The program I was looking at specifically is through Waterloo! Here's the link to their website: https://uwaterloo.ca/school-of-social-work/future-students-bsw-ft 

I have a couple of friends in the BSW program at Waterloo and have heard great things! I currently am finishing up my social development studies degree at waterloo & got accepted to BSW (accepted my offer last night) + I got waitlisted for Uoft's 2 yr msw. It's a great option because it makes you eligible for the 1 yr advanced standing program which is really nice. You also get to do a practicum for all 10 months which is really nice because you get your hours to become registered with the CSWSSW. I'd take a close look at their prerequisite courses because you either need a Social Service Worker Diploma or you have to take 10 of their prerequisite courses - I've taken them throughout my undergrad at Waterloo which is what allowed me to become eligible to apply. I've heard great things about it, and it's definitely worth checking out!! Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help out in any way! ?

Just now, msw26 said:

How do you know that 890 people applied?

nvm lol I see someone else posted it was included in the decision letter. I wonder why they tell 2 yr students the number of applicants and not advanced standing