Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

3 minutes ago, SocialWork123 said:

Western seems to have a larger waitlist than I expected (based on replies to this forum) for such a small program!! So many of us here twiddling our thumbs waiting to hear if we got off it lol. STRESS!!

I didn't apply to Western, but I'd venture to guess it's because they're expecting a lot of offers declined in favor of other, bigger programs. Like a waitlist for a waitlist, maybe? Hope it works out in your favor!

Edited by KnitFlamingo

39 minutes ago, ashleyym said:

Hello everyone!!!

My friend told me about this and I cant believe I haven't check out until now.

I legit have been so anxious from February until now while awaiting decisions.

I wanted to first congrats those who got waitlisted and accepted- such a great accomplishment!!!!

I have applied to the 2-year MSW program at Windsor, Western, Toronto and Laurier. So far I have only heard back from Windsor (accepted) and Western (waitlisted). I am still anxiously waiting to hear back from UofT (status still says "under review") and Laurier.

My last name starts with M.

Welcome to the communal anxiety club ?

Just now, KnitFlamingo said:

I didn't apply to Western, but I'd venture to guess it's because they're expecting a lot of offers declined in favor of other, bigger programs. A waitlist for a waitlist?

Well in that case...Listen people, by all means, decline your offers to Western LOL 

(just kidding - I bet you're right, it is a pretty expensive program compared to some other ones given the lack of funding, so I can see that being a deterrent)

Just now, patientlywaitinggg said:

Hi i’m kinda freaking out right now and don’t want to get my hopes up: on my Acorn I see that I now have invited status but have not yet received an email... does this mean I have been accepted, and if so when should I be expecting email confirmation or a change on SGS?

I believe you're in! Congrats! There's been a common trend with people like yourself. Seems SGS and email confirmations don't update at the same time if you're on ACORN as well.

8 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

Hi i’m kinda freaking out right now and don’t want to get my hopes up: on my Acorn I see that I now have invited status but have not yet received an email... does this mean I have been accepted, and if so when should I be expecting email confirmation or a change on SGS?

Where do you see this? I hope it means you got in :)

3 hours ago, MMSW said:

Hi Kal008,

I am waiting to hear from York as well. If I hear anything about my application status I will let you know!

Still waiting on York as well! Also Laurier... ? Does anyone know if the Loris portal will change in some way to let us know our application has been reviewed? I don't see anything that says "submitted" or "decision pending" like York. I know it's been submitted though because I can see all my actions and I have a receipt email.

2 minutes ago, kouklah said:

Still waiting on York as well! Also Laurier... ? Does anyone know if the Loris portal will change in some way to let us know our application has been reviewed? I don't see anything that says "submitted" or "decision pending" like York. I know it's been submitted though because I can see all my actions and I have a receipt email.

Just now, ashleyym said:

No. When I checked their sties it said they aim to start sending out decisions by mid-April ?

Urggggg the waiting!!

I think we're just supposed to receive an email when a decision is made, I feel like nothing will change on Loris.... 

And ugh I just read where it says "April" as their target date so was hoping we might get lucky with earlier. 

Just now, lgoose said:

I think we're just supposed to receive an email when a decision is made, I feel like nothing will change on Loris.... 

And ugh I just read where it says "April" as their target date so was hoping we might get lucky with earlier. 

Yeah! A friend of mine that is currently in that program said you receive no updates about the process just an email when the decision is made. She also told me she got her email last year on April 15th. So hopefully we are close!!!

22 minutes ago, SocialWork123 said:

Western seems to have a larger waitlist than I expected (based on replies to this forum) for such a small program!! So many of us here twiddling our thumbs waiting to hear if we got off it lol. STRESS!!

Is there anywhere that states how many people often get waitlisted? I know there was a post a while back saying they often do 2 rounds of waitlists due to people opting to attend MSW programs with funding but I haven’t seen anything other then that. 

LORIS will change when a decision is made, but it doesn't show you anything like "updated status" or "decision pending". Last year when I got my rejection email, I checked LORIS and it had updated from the application checklist to reflect the final decision.

I got my email on April 9 last year, but I expect this year will be later because of the pandemic delays.

Edited by KnitFlamingo

Just now, jessjae2021 said:

Is there anywhere that states how many people often get waitlisted? I know there was a post a while back saying they often do 2 rounds of waitlists due to people opting to attend MSW programs with funding but I haven’t seen anything other then that. 

I haven't been able to find anything. In my mind I was thinking maybe 10-15 spots total given that the entire program is only 20 people, but it seems like we have about 10 people just on this forum alone!

I think UoT and Laurier decisions will be the thing that gets the ball moving for Western, so fingers crossed we'll see some more movement this month!

2 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

LORIS will change when a decision is made, but it doesn't show you anything like "updated status" or "decision pending". Last year when I got my rejection email, I checked LORIS and it had updated from the application checklist to reflect the final decision.

I got my email on April 9 last year, but I expect this year will be later because of the pandemic delays.

Thank you! Assuming they'll start to notify us next week then (fingers crossed)

Hey yall, 

Congrats to everyone! I am also waiting on MSW applications. I was waitlisted at Western, and accepted to the BSW 10 month program at Waterloo. Currently waiting for UofT, York, Laurentian, and Laurier. I havent seen anyone who has applied to Laurentian... is there anyone on here? 

I have lost hope in UofT with everyone else getting acceptances its so stressful! 

Good Luck Everyone! 

2 hours ago, scarey said:

Last name starting with C just received U of T rejection. 

On that note, curious if there is anyone accepting U of T and rejecting an offer from Windsor or Western? On the waitlist for those schools and looking for some hope after another rejection

Hey there... my last name is C too so I am anxiously hoping to get into U of T, and then as soon as I do (if I do) I will reject my offer to Western. 

Just now, Empathymatters said:

Hey there... my last name is C too so I am anxiously hoping to get into U of T, and then as soon as I do (if I do) I will reject my offer to Western. 

Last name P and i'm in the same position. Losing hope but if by some miracle I get into UofT (or York) i would reject my Western offer. Still waiting on that to decide my future.