Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

17 hours ago, AlexaS said:

Not entirely sure, I am currently on their waitlist and I have about an 84% average and over 2,000 hours of experience in the field.

Sorry to bother again, if you don't mind me asking was that the average for all of your undergraduate degree? Also are you aware if they consider all four years or just the last two years? 

7 minutes ago, coffeegirl20 said:

Does anyone know if Waterloo generally takes a deposit for their BSW/MSW program? I'm going through crisis mode trying to figure out what I should do. Any advice? 

It should say in your acceptance letter, no? If not my assumption would be that there isn't and if that's the case you can always accept and decline later, that's what waitlists are for! Best thing would be to call/email if you haven't already though

2 hours ago, Sofiaofspace said:

I just got accepted to u of t 2 year! Last name starts with B so I do think its alphabetical! Just crying at work casually lol

If you don't mind me asking, how much experience did you have in the field? And what were some of your experiences? I am planning to apply this coming fall and need any information I can get. Also are you aware if they look at grades from all four years or just the last year? 

Just now, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

It should say in your acceptance letter, no? If not my assumption would be that there isn't and if that's the case you can always accept and decline later, that's what waitlists are for! Best thing would be to call/email if you haven't already though

It doesn't mention anything about a deposit, it just says I have until "end of day" April 9th to accept. But I'm afraid that "end of day" could mean a wide range of things. I tried emailing and calling, but no response as yet. I'm just kind of insecure about going back and being like oh jk i don't actually want your offer lol 

Just now, coffeegirl20 said:

It doesn't mention anything about a deposit, it just says I have until "end of day" April 9th to accept. But I'm afraid that "end of day" could mean a wide range of things. I tried emailing and calling, but no response as yet. I'm just kind of insecure about going back and being like oh jk i don't actually want your offer lol 

A friend of mine accepted her Waterloo post-grad BSW offer yesterday, so I can ask her if she paid a deposit and get back to you! 

1 minute ago, coffeegirl20 said:

I don't want to give you the wrong advice because i don't know if there's a deposit (although it doesn't sound like it), but if we figure out that there's not, you definitely shouldn't feel guilty about accepting and then declining after. Since they send out decisions so early I'm sure they must get that all the time. It's about choosing a school/program that's right for you too, not just about them choosing you!

I don't want to give you the wrong advice because i don't know if there's a deposit (although it doesn't sound like it), but if we figure out that there's not, you definitely shouldn't feel guilty about accepting and then declining after. Since they send out decisions so early I'm sure they must get that all the time. It's about choosing a school/program that's right for you too, not just about them choosing you!

That’s really great advice, thank you ??. I really appreciate it ?

2 minutes ago, coffeegirl20 said:

That’d be great, thank you so much!! 

I just called her and she actually accepted two or three days ago and after she accepted on Quest she didn't have to pay a deposit! So it's up to you girl! 

Just now, amesyall said:

I just called her and she actually accepted two or three days ago and after she accepted on Quest she didn't have to pay a deposit! So it's up to you girl! 

That's great news and a relief! Thank you so much for reaching out, I truly appreciate it ?

1 minute ago, coffeegirl20 said:

That's great news and a relief! Thank you so much for reaching out, I truly appreciate it ?

No problem! And if you end up going to Waterloo I can put y'all in touch, she's the sweetest human LOL 

10 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Anyone else hear recently? Are they done for the day....this is the worst!!

well, if it was two letters per day...I mean, it looks like it is.

I am bit hopeless at this point about the speed, as someone with a surname starting T I guess I need to prepare myself that I will probably hear next week...

Just now, ChipDip said:

Just a question, does anyone know how to go about improving your grades after you’ve already graduated? I want to have a few back up plans if I don’t get into my msw this year. Any info is helpful!

You can often just pick up courses as a non-degree student at most universities - I actually did that last fall. It's probably easiest at the school you went to for your undergrad but I went to a different one and it was fine. If you're just wanting to upgrade your research course grade then I've heard of people doing a stats course online at Athabasca I think

Just now, ChipDip said:

Just a question, does anyone know how to go about improving your grades after you’ve already graduated? I want to have a few back up plans if I don’t get into my msw this year. Any info is helpful!

I took an online course through Athabasca University to improve my research course! 

You can often just pick up courses as a non-degree student at most universities - I actually did that last fall. It's probably easiest at the school you went to for your undergrad but I went to a different one and it was fine. If you're just wanting to upgrade your research course grade then I've heard of people doing a stats course online at Athabasca I think

Just now, caffeinegirl1 said:

I took an online course through Athabasca University to improve my research course! 

Thank you!! I just want to take general courses because in my last year of my undergrad I went abroad and then i got sent home because of covid so I was doing Swedish school online in Canada in Swedish time lol not fun. Thank you for this info!

59 minutes ago, Unicornfrrf said:

Sorry to bother again, if you don't mind me asking was that the average for all of your undergraduate degree? Also are you aware if they consider all four years or just the last two years? 

No problem! My school does a 12.0 gpa scale so it's a little different, but I had about a 82% since first year and in my last 10 credits it's about an 84%, however I am not done my undergrad degree until the end of this month. I am not sure if they look at all. Also, if you are looking at 2 year programs, I would also look into Lakehead's HBSW which is a 1 year program and then you can apply to advanced standing MSW's!

7 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

So it may depend on the school, but I know York for example allow graduated students to apply to be "Non-degree status" and take courses to go on their transcripts etc.