Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

22 hours ago, aspiring-academic said:

I decided to attend Waterloo since it is clinical in nature and it's online. The way things are going in Ontario with COVID restrictions, I needed some certainty about what classrooms will be like in September. 

Welcome to the Waterloo club! Have you any ideas in terms of placement? I know some schools have offered online alternatives to placements due to covid but since for Waterloo puts so much emphasis on students finding their own, I'm not too sure. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find a placement on our own with the pandemic going on, burnout, etc. I've heard from a colleague who places paramedic students that she's having a really hard time finding placements.

1 minute ago, coffeegirl20 said:

I'm stressing because my last name starts with K, and I have until the end of the day tomorrow to accept my BSW offer for Waterloo. I really hope they speed it up ?

Ahh I feel that, my last name starts with L! For letters in the middle of the alphabet, it's usually a toss up if they'll be a part of the first group or second group (if they're doing one half of the alphabet today and the other tomorrow). 

5 minutes ago, amesyall said:

Ahh I feel that, my last name starts with L! For letters in the middle of the alphabet, it's usually a toss up if they'll be a part of the first group or second group (if they're doing one half of the alphabet today and the other tomorrow). 

They seem to be going painfully slow if they’re only at B ??

Just now, coffeegirl20 said:

They seem to be going painfully slow if they’re only at B ??

If it’s through an automated system, there’s a chance we may receive responses overnight. But if it’s being done manually by the admissions team I would assume that they would stop this evening and start again tomorrow? I could be totally wrong, I’m just thinking out loud at this point LOL 

8 minutes ago, amesyall said:

If it’s through an automated system, there’s a chance we may receive responses overnight. But if it’s being done manually by the admissions team I would assume that they would stop this evening and start again tomorrow? I could be totally wrong, I’m just thinking out loud at this point LOL 

Yeah I have a feeling they're doing it manually, just given how long it is between each one. It's slightly annoying, but at least they're getting started. Just slightly frustrating and stressful if they don't get it done tomorrow and then stop over the weekend. 

12 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

This is painfully slow. If they truly wanted to get this done, they would sit down (in the comfort on their own home) to finish. It's April... UofT sucks man.

I totally understand the anxiety and impatience, but blaming the staff for not working overtime isn't fair. For all we know, they already are. We should all know, understand, and respect the importance of having boundaries between home and work-- not to mention the ways that staff in academic settings are already often overworked and underpaid. They're people going through a pandemic, too.

2 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

I totally understand the anxiety and impatience, but blaming the staff for not working overtime isn't fair. For all we know, they already are. We should all know, understand, and respect the importance of having boundaries between home and work-- not to mention the ways that staff in academic settings are already often overworked and underpaid. They're people going through a pandemic, too.

I get it's a complex situation but as UofT alumna, the staff are generally pretty inconsiderate towards its students never mind applicants. There are people waiting to hear back so they can decide whether to move houses, whether to accept programs elsewhere. It's pretty much mid-April and our applications were sent in over 4 months ago and all we can get is a copy and paste response? Idk, sounds pretty insensitive to me.

1 minute ago, DD2021 said:

I think all of our frustrations and emotions are valid right now considering the unexpected changes in timelines for results compared to last year. We should keep this a safe space to vent for people who need it. 

I completely agree. Let’s hold space for people to feel their feelings. It is valid to be upset right now. This is hard

Edited by MacaroniGirl