Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

13 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Boy, I sure hope it doesn't go into May... I have a couple offers of admission from backups that are due May 1 and I would really hate to accept one and then get into Laurier a few days later, lol.

They did require that we submit our applications for the 2 year substantially earlier, so I wonder if that will impact the difference between when 1-year and 2-year decisions go out. Normally the advanced standing program must apply by Dec 1 and the regular track by Jan 15; this time both were due Dec 1.

I would still strongly encourage to anticipate later-April decisions, but hopefully the change in application deadline means that the two tracks won't be spaced as far apart as usual.

Yeah this is the tough part with the dates and all the different schools. For those in positions similar to yours, you don't want to accept from a backup and cut off potential opportunities from schools like Laurier. But then this creates a chain reaction because people in situations similar to mine, being on a waitlist, wait longer. 

I can imagine the tough position and I would feel similarly if I was in your shoes as well. Tough go all around

Just now, scarey said:

Yeah this is the tough part with the dates and all the different schools. For those in positions similar to yours, you don't want to accept from a backup and cut off potential opportunities from schools like Laurier. But then this creates a chain reaction because people in situations similar to mine, being on a waitlist, wait longer. 

I can imagine the tough position and I would feel similarly if I was in your shoes as well. Tough go all around

Absolutely. My backups aren't MSW programs, but I know that at least one of them is a competitive program on its own and it sucks to hold onto a space I may or may not end up taking. I hope more decisions start rolling in soon so that everyone can remove some question marks from their plates.

1 hour ago, klegaul4 said:

My "Status Change Date" in egas for Windsor was last updated today. What does this mean?

I read somewhere that it means it could be transferred to another department for review. I have no idea. My status change date is still the same. ? I need to know so I can move on with my life. ?

I feel as though I am echoing the sentiment of this forum, however, this wait is unbelievable! Even if it is a rejection, I just need to know. Do you guys really think next week is when they will be sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlist? 

Just now, skittleb0t said:

I feel as though I am echoing the sentiment of this forum, however, this wait is unbelievable! Even if it is a rejection, I just need to know. Do you guys really think next week is when they will be sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlist? 

I'm still holding out hope for this week! :) maybe I'm just delusional at this point though haha

I tried to email Angela from UofT a couple days ago with no response just yet. I know they usually send out the cookie cutter copy and paste response from the website but it would be nice to know if they’re experiencing more delays due to COVID-19, surplus of applicants, etc. Some or rather ANY info at this point would be great.

Whether its this week or next, it might be helpful to remember that the frequent changes in COVID protocol means that this year is not necessarily going to follow the usual expectations. I've worked admin jobs before & currently work in a support role at Conestoga College, and I assure you, they want this admissions season wrapped up just as much as we do. I'm sure they're doing the best they can with the resources and limitations they've got.

It might be better for your stress levels to work with the thought that you'll be hearing later rather than sooner. It'll help you divert your attention to other things (which will also help the time go faster). And, if you get an email this week or early next week, it will be a pleasant surprise.

5 minutes ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

I'm still holding out hope for this week! :) maybe I'm just delusional at this point though haha

I agree. In the past they have taken several days to update ACORN, then SGS, then waitlists, then rejections so if they are going to meet the mid April deadline I think they need to start this week. 

4 minutes ago, MSW29 said:

I tried to email Angela from UofT a couple days ago with no response just yet. I know they usually send out the cookie cutter copy and paste response from the website but it would be nice to know if they’re experiencing more delays due to COVID-19, surplus of applicants, etc. Some or rather ANY info at this point would be great.

Totally understand this sentiment, and they might do that if it runs past their posted timelines. Unfortunately, crafting and okay'ing a public message about this also takes time, so it's not in their best interests from an administrative perspective to do that while they're still within the initial window.

Edited by KnitFlamingo

Just now, KnitFlamingo said:

Totally understand this sentiment, and they might do that if it runs past their posted timelines. Unfortunately, crafting and okay'ing a public message about this also takes time, so it's not in their best interests from an administrative perspective to do that while they're still within initial window.

This is true. Haha I’m trying so hard to be empathetic and understanding as I’m sure there are other variables that we haven’t considered but it’s tough! Going to try and follow your lead with your previous post in this forum and just try to entertain myself with other things so I don’t obsess as much as I have been the last few weeks!

5 minutes ago, MSW29 said:

This is true. Haha I’m trying so hard to be empathetic and understanding as I’m sure there are other variables that we haven’t considered but it’s tough! Going to try and follow your lead with your previous post in this forum and just try to entertain myself with other things so I don’t obsess as much as I have been the last few weeks!

The good news is that the weather is getting nice so it's easier to go outside. COVID cabin fever is definitely not helping the waiting game anxiety. I know "time in nature" sounds trite no matter how true it is, but really... your brain really likes fresh air!! ?

Just now, Ihatethissomuch said:

Everyone is freaking out but the U of T MSW website literally says ‘by mid April’ hahaha. So like April 15th.......

Yes, because they say all decisions will be out mid April every year, and usually first decisions come out mid-late March. This seems to be the latest they've ever sent out the first decisions by about a week. I think it is very reasonable that people are wondering about this.

4 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Everyone is freaking out but the U of T MSW website literally says ‘by mid April’ hahaha. So like April 15th.......

Sure, but every year it's been before April, a lot of people had high hopes to hear by now based on the timeline from previous years. The anxiety of waiting to hear is pretty valid. 

This is a funding question for folks going into Carleton's advanced standing MSW: 

I know Carleton gives every student some funding upon offering them a place in their program. Is there a minimum amount of funding that every Carleton MSW student automatically receives? And is additional funding for students with higher grades? Is it attached to TA and RA positions?

I got into York and I'm starting to lean towards it because the tuition is HALF the cost of Carleton (based on fee calculator). York also gives each 1 year MSW student (not sure about 2 year) $10,000 in funding plus extra if they have a higher GPA. Funding is not attached to a Teaching Assistant/ Research Assistant position. 

Any specific info would be much appreciated! 

An update for those awaiting York University advanced standing decisions. I received a letter via email saying I've been waitlisted for the fulltime (funded) program, but it also asked me if I'd be interested in their part-time (unfunded) option. 

I also decided I will not be attending UT. Hope that opens up a spot for someone in the gerontology stream wait list.

Two year applicants - hang in there! The waiting is almost done :) 

I was also legit *just* waitlisted for York's MSW advanced standing full-time program letting me know via email. Some what disappointing because it is a fully-funded program. however, I am extremely lucky to have gotten into uoft's program this year on my second try and will accept that. 

I hope you will all hear soon :) 

11 minutes ago, aspiring-academic said:

An update for those awaiting York University advanced standing decisions. I received a letter via email saying I've been waitlisted for the fulltime (funded) program, but it also asked me if I'd be interested in their part-time (unfunded) option. 

I also decided I will not be attending UT. Hope that opens up a spot for someone in the gerontology stream wait list.

Two year applicants - hang in there! The waiting is almost done :) 

what program did you decide on? or was York your top choice?