Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

15 minutes ago, scarey said:

I'm also curious what peoples thoughts are for the possibility of in-person learning for September. I know there were some articles written that the universities in Ontario were hoping to have more of an in-person presence on campus for the fall but with things constantly evolving I'm curious what peoples thoughts are

I believe that this is going to solely depend on how the vaccine rollout progresses and whether we are able to vaccinate essential workers and vulnerable populations in hot spot areas (regardless of age) and get a handle on community spread. Right now we are obviously in a horrible position here in Ontario and unless stricter measures are implemented soon I think it is going to take awhile to recover from this

1 hour ago, scarey said:

I'm also curious what peoples thoughts are for the possibility of in-person learning for September. I know there were some articles written that the universities in Ontario were hoping to have more of an in-person presence on campus for the fall but with things constantly evolving I'm curious what peoples thoughts are

I've heard from the grapevine that Ryerson is doing everything completely online and even placements are remote. As for York, they did send out an email that they are going to try and do in-person learning so what I am guessing is that smaller graduate programs might have in person? I seriously can't even imagine any 1st/2nd/3rd year undergrads going in person when class sizes are 300 plus. Or even the BSW program - we had about 30-40 students per course and classes were already so crammed with no space to "social distance."

Personally, I really struggle with virtual learning vs in the classroom and didn't get to experience an in-person placement but the virtual aspect has had some conveniences for me, such as I am able to walk my daughter to and from school everyday without doing a before/after program. 

If Ontario is still in this same position (which I'm presuming it will be) I feel like it'll most likely be virtual classes with the option for in-person placements (for York anyway). Sending everyone love and balance ❤️

5 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

No kidding. This is getting painful!!

So painful.....I'm trying to decide on a placement right now to do for the summer and whether I got into the program would change which placement option I would pursue...but running out of time 

2 hours ago, scarey said:

I know a lot of universities have said they are preparing to have some in person classes/activities in the Fall but it will be mainly dependent on how the vaccine rollout goes prior to this. 

Right now it’s obviously not going so well - so here’s hoping things start to improve soon!

So basically no one knows what’s going to happen! 

For everyone curious regarding UofT's plan regarding COVID and virtual/in-person learning, on March 17th they posted the 1-year and 2-year course timetables for Fall 2021. As of right now, it appears that everything is listed as in-person. I've linked the 2-year timetable for Fall 2021 here: https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/programs/all-timetables/year-1-of-the-2-year-msw-full-time-program-fall-2021-and-winter-2022/ 

However, they've basically stated that this is all subject to change: "Ontario’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve. Changes will likely occur as the province and its municipalities adjust to new data about the virus. In these circumstances, please be advised that the manner of delivery of courses, co-curricular opportunities, programs, and services is subject to change, in accordance with university policies. The University thanks its students, faculty, and staff for their flexibility during these challenging times as we work together to maintain the standards of excellence that are the hallmark of the University." 

For those who have accepted the two year MSW at Windsor - have you had any correspondence from the university since accepting? Not sure when we should to expect to receive more information about registration and such.

19 minutes ago, caffeinegirl1 said:

For those who have accepted the two year MSW at Windsor - have you had any correspondence from the university since accepting? Not sure when we should to expect to receive more information about registration and such.

I havn't recieved any info since accepting as well. I know when I accepted the offer, I got a confirmation email and it said at the bottom, "For information about registering in your program, please contact your program for details." But I've just been hanging tight assuming an adminsitrator will touch base. I do get those basic UWindsor updates and I went on a virtual campus tour which was pretty neat! 

I’m shook that nobody seems to have heard anything about waitlist/acceptance to the 2-year UofT program..... mid-April is next week....?......  even if the news isn’t what I want to hear i’m READY FOR IT! As someone who wants to work in the field of mental health, this surely has been a test of my own ability to cope. 

Just now, patientlywaitinggg said:

I’m shook that nobody seems to have heard anything about waitlist/acceptance to the 2-year UofT program..... mid-April is next week....?......  even if the news isn’t what I want to hear i’m READY FOR IT! As someone who wants to work in the field of mental health, this surely has been a test of my own ability to cope. 

Yeah at this point I'm almost fine with a rejection, i would just reallyyyy like to move on (to checking Laurier constantly lol)

1 minute ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Yeah at this point I'm almost fine with a rejection, i would just reallyyyy like to move on (to checking Laurier constantly lol)

4 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

I agree! I find it so frustrating though at the same time because I just want to move on. Like do I need to start applying for jobs for a year? Do I need to plan out how I’m going to pay for tuition? As much as this is an exciting time it’s also super stressful and I (like everyone else) just want some answers!!!

34 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

I know this is the MSW thread, but did anyone apply to BSW programs? Which ones? I'm waiting on Carleton & McMaster. I figure it's relevant since it's likely a backup plan for lots of other folks

I applied to York's BSW post-degree! It only just changed to "under consideration" on Thursday. I'm not feeling too anxious about it yet, all my energy is being spent on UofT haha

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

I know this is the MSW thread, but did anyone apply to BSW programs? Which ones? I'm waiting on Carleton & McMaster. I figure it's relevant since it's likely a backup plan for lots of other folks

I have applied to the post-degree online BSW at Dalhousie! I will hear in May.