Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

4 hours ago, thatcoffeelover said:

So sorry to hear that but thank you for sharing!

Just wanted to know, did you get an email about this or did you just happen to check Myfile for this? Wondering if I should be constantly checking MyFile today or not...

I also got rejected. I got an email though. MyFile there changed for me. 

Since we are going to have to wait for UoT, and because I'm feeling really pessimistic, I thought I'd share my background with you all. Would be cool to know, once we get our letters, what kind of profiles they went for. 

I am not from a SW background. I'm 31 with a BA in Political Science and a Gr. Dip in Economics. I got pretty varied grades in my first degree but smashed the Gr Dip.

I have worked for a decade in various activist and non-profit environments, having built myself into an not-for-profit operations leader in the climate justice space. 

I'm also a certified trauma-sensitive yoga facilitator, which represents about 550 hours of cumulative training. This allows me to facilitate a yoga-based therapy for people with PTSD and other forms of complex trauma.

So, like I said, not a social work background. I applied on the basis of wanting to transition my career to support people through the climate crisis. Ha. I promise it sounded better than that in my statement!

I chose UoT because they seemed to be open to a range of different backgrounds and professional trajectories. I don't think I will get an offer, but it's been a good time of reflection for me on how to move my career in a direction that feels right. 

Edited by Melissa2021

8 hours ago, klegaul4 said:

Did anyone get rejected from the 2 year MSW at Windsor or were all of those not admitted put on the waitlist? How long do you think the waitlist would be?

I got waitlisted by Windsor for the 2 year MSW and am waiting to hear if I'll get off it.

8 hours ago, klegaul4 said:

Did anyone get rejected from the 2 year MSW at Windsor or were all of those not admitted put on the waitlist? How long do you think the waitlist would be?

I got waitlisted too! Did your status on eGAS change? Mine hasn't changed since January.

10 hours ago, Melissa2021 said:

Since we are going to have to wait for UoT, and because I'm feeling really pessimistic, I thought I'd share my background with you all. Would be cool to know, once we get our letters, what kind of profiles they went for. 

I am not from a SW background. I'm 31 with a BA in Political Science and a Gr. Dip in Economics. I got pretty varied grades in my first degree but smashed the Gr Dip.

I have worked for a decade in various activist and non-profit environments, having built myself into an not-for-profit operations leader in the climate justice space. 

I'm also a certified trauma-sensitive yoga facilitator, which represents about 550 hours of cumulative training. This allows me to facilitate a yoga-based therapy for people with PTSD and other forms of complex trauma.

So, like I said, not a social work background. I applied on the basis of wanting to transition my career to support people through the climate crisis. Ha. I promise it sounded better than that in my statement!

I chose UoT because they seemed to be open to a range of different backgrounds and professional trajectories. I don't think I will get an offer, but it's been a good time of reflection for me on how to move my career in a direction that feels right. 

Glad to not be one of the only over 30's here! (I'm 34). I think your background and experiences are absolutely relevant and exceptionally valuable. Wishing you the best and hoping you get an offer this year :)

23 minutes ago, amesyall said:

I have a feeling today will be our last chance to hear from UofT before next week because of the holiday this weekend. Fingers crossed! 

I have decided that GradCafe and I are in an unhealthy dual relationship and that at this point the forum is violating my boundaries. Counter-transference is occurring as I have inappropriate emotional reactions directed at the website which should actually be directed at U of T ?? Over the weekend I am going to re-establish clear and rigid boundaries and check in only a few times a day to preserve my sanity haha Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend of relaxation in light of the circumstances and hoping we are all put out of our misery early next week :)

19 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

I have decided that GradCafe and I are in an unhealthy dual relationship and that at this point the forum is violating my boundaries. Counter-transference is occurring as I have inappropriate emotional reactions directed at the website which should actually be directed at U of T ?? Over the weekend I am going to re-establish clear and rigid boundaries and check in only a few times a day to preserve my sanity haha Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend of relaxation in light of the circumstances and hoping we are all put out of our misery early next week :)

Take care please ❤️

Ahh another day of not knowing for UofT 2 year :( I've actually felt a little better as the week has gone on just kinda putting myself into the mindset that I won't hear anything until mid April (aka April 10 at the earliest is what I'm telling myself). I don't work as i'm currently writing a big literature review (similar to a thesis) as part of my final year and it's my week off so i'm trying to grab at anything to find something productive to do with my time. I know someone in their final year of the 2 year program and they got waitlisted in April then got accepted June 14, so you just never know.. pretty much we're just waiting to hear if it'll be more waiting.. :(

13 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

Ahh another day of not knowing for UofT 2 year :( I've actually felt a little better as the week has gone on just kinda putting myself into the mindset that I won't hear anything until mid April (aka April 10 at the earliest is what I'm telling myself). I don't work as i'm currently writing a big literature review (similar to a thesis) as part of my final year and it's my week off so i'm trying to grab at anything to find something productive to do with my time. I know someone in their final year of the 2 year program and they got waitlisted in April then got accepted June 14, so you just never know.. pretty much we're just waiting to hear if it'll be more waiting.. :(

Hey, I'm doing a similar sort of thing! My only course this semester is independent research (which is the worst for having lots of unstructured time to check this forum). But I agree, I'd rather hope for later and then have it be a nice surprise when decisions do come out!

2 hours ago, Kal008 said:

this is a MOOD, I too have a rather unhealthy relationship with the forum. ? We deserve a break from thinking about decisions ; we’ve got this! 

So, I need some insight! I applied at Windsor's MSW Working Professionals for Advanced Standing. On March 26th, my status change changed to "in process."  I checked again today and.. my application is blank. It says no new rows found. What does this mean? ? No emails for a decision yet. 

Edited by SocialWerkIt

8 minutes ago, SocialWerkIt said:

So, I need some insight! I applied at Windsor's MSW Working Professionals for Advanced Standing. On March 26th, my status change changed to "in process."  I checked again today and.. my application is blank. It says no new rows found. What does this mean? ? No emails for a decision yet. 

Hey I just checked mine too (2 year MSW) and it did that too! I checked it on a different browser (went from chrome to safari) and it was normal. Just checked again on chrome, back to normal. Maybe a glitch in the system

13 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Is there anyone on this forum planning on attending Carleton’s 2-year MSW (or has it as a backup option to U of T)? 

I’m currently on Carleton waitlist for the two-year at a spot really close to receiving admission ( as they tell you what spot you’re on). Feels so close yet so far away!

50 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

I’m currently on Carleton waitlist for the two-year at a spot really close to receiving admission ( as they tell you what spot you’re on). Feels so close yet so far away!

Wishing you best of luck on this!! I hope that things start moving faster once we hear from U of T 

2 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Wishing you best of luck on this!! I hope that things start moving faster once we hear from U of T 

Thank you , yes me too.  I’m waiting to hear back from U of T as well, so hoping that there’s positive news on either end, whether it be an offer of acceptance to U of T or moving off the Carleton waitlist.

*sigh* yet another week with nothing from uoft. I really did not expect it to take this long. Makes me feel better knowing I’m not alone though. I swear I just sit here alternating between acorn & the sgs portal. I really hope to get an answer before next Friday. I got accepted to the BSW at Waterloo and they want an answer by April 9th. They sent an email out yesterday saying they aren’t gonna be giving extensions this year so that stresses me out even more ?

Hey there everyone, I have been checking out this form for a bit and thought I would make an account to chat with you all. I saw a few people posted yesterday about rejections from the York 2-year program. I was wondering if anyone has heard if they have been accepted in the 2-year stream? Thanks everyone and best of luck as we wait for U of T ?.

Edited by MMSW

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into becoming a registered psychotherapist vs. a registered social worker. I just got accepted into Laurier's MA in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy and was wondering how much job opportunities differ with the two degrees?