Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

13 minutes ago, Lulu21 said:

I got an acceptance on myfile, never got a call.From my understanding Pip calls people of more documentation is needed not to notify people that they got accepted.

Yeah same, no call. I just realized Pip is a person and not a service or system. I didn’t get an email either, I just checked myfile on a whim and saw the acceptance. I’m super curious about scholarship info though and what next steps are. 

9 minutes ago, Blossom22 said:

Yeah same, no call. I just realized Pip is a person and not a service or system. I didn’t get an email either, I just checked myfile on a whim and saw the acceptance. I’m super curious about scholarship info though and what next steps are. 

It’s the weekend so I guess we will get our letters Monday.

Alright guys, here we go into another week!! Let’s hope this is the one for us two yr ppl still waiting anxiously! Fingers crossed we all hear back! Either way, don’t let this define who you are and what you’re capable of achieving! This group has been so supporting and I think no matter what path we take to get there, we’ll all be great social workers some day! Good luck to you all ??

9 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

U of T 2 year applicants, could today be the day people start to see updates on ACORN?!?! Fingers are crossed!! Just want to know they are starting the roll out process 

I hope so!!! I mean it has to be the next couple of days right? I am also thinking they may want to get it done before the holiday? 

12 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

I’m really really hoping so!!!! Definitely hoping we receive some decisions ASAP. 

Was definitely hoping to see some decisions start rolling out this morning. Living your life hanging in limbo and being unable to plan or prepare the next few years properly because it rests on this decision is awful. 

Agree with everyone above. The wait is so so hard. Last year I was waitlisted and then continued waiting until second week of September to know I didn't get a spot. Terrible. Hoping for a different outcome this year. 

And I agree, I'd be shocked if they don't get acceptances out before Easter weekend. 

Edited by SCCPHopeful

10 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

I hope so!!! I mean it has to be the next couple of days right? I am also thinking they may want to get it done before the holiday? 

I was thinking the same thing! Before the weekend might be idea for them/us? Good luck everyone, this has been a really long and arduous journey for a lot of us. Hopefully we are in the final stretch :)  

I want to echo what @coffeegirl20 said earlier about how no matter what happens this year we are all still on our way to becoming future social workers!! Let’s not let 2021 admissions decisions define our worth ??

Edited by MacaroniGirl

1 hour ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Agree with everyone above. The wait is so so hard. Last year I was waitlisted and then continued waiting until second week of September to know I didn't get a spot. Terrible. Hoping for a different outcome this year. 

And I agree, I'd be shocked if they don't get acceptances out before Easter weekend. 

I was waitlisted last year too so I feel like I have been "waiting" since last summer for these decisions! haha

Best of luck to you, I hope we hear back soon and that you get in this year ?

23 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Does anyone know if news for U of T is only sent out in the morning? Just wondering if I should stop looking at Acorn haha 

I feel you on another level, I’ve been checking between here and acorn and SGS today. Being at home, constantly in front of my computer, makes it even harder to resist checking. 

Hey everyone! First time posting and hoping some people can suggest some guidance! 

For background info, I'm in my final year of undergrad doing psych and health sciences and realized around last year I'm interested in social work so I started looking into it and ended up applying to a couple MSW programs this year. I have a couple years experience volunteering and this year I've been working at a homeless shelter. My end goal is to do mental health counselling, hopefully in schools but we'll see where I end up! I chose applying for MSW over doing a Masters in Psych or Counselling because I like that an MSW is more broad and if I end up not liking counselling or want a career change later on I can do so without having to get another degree!

As for my question: this may sound naïve, so my apologies, but how do you know which schools are "better"? I understand looking at diff schools' courses they offer in the MSW program and which "approach" they take, but besides that, what other factors are you looking into when deciding on schools to apply and accept? Also, maybe because I don't have my BSW, so it may be common knowledge to others, but what are each schools known for/ which schools have a "better reputation"? For example, I applied to York, UofT, and Kings (Western), and Windsor's 2 year MSW program. I applied to only these because most other schools required much more experience than I have, I can't afford out of province, or I simply wasn't eligible because I'm applying to non-BSW. Going back to approaches, I understand UofT has a "clinical" approach, Kings has a "direct practice" approach, and York has a focus on social justice and anti-oppression. Can someone clarify the difference between "clinical" and direct practice" please? I like the idea of having applicable knowledge, since that is what I am hoping for in a Masters program. However, I admire York's approach and I enjoy the paper aspect because I am interested in the idea of policy as well if I were to forego the counselling plan, but worry if that means because they have a critical lens, is it less applicable knowledge we'll be receiving? If I don't do a paper in my MSW, will it limit potential opportunities in policy work? Also, when looking at which school is ranked the top, UofT comes on #1 but what are the rankings even based on?

Of course financial factors are considered too. I am having trouble finding what kind of supports the different MSW programs provide on their websites, if anyone can guide me in the right direction or if they just know? I know York gives out 15k to all students in their MSW I believe (it was mentioned in their info session a few months back) which usually goes towards tuition and there's also OSAP and OGS I think. Does anyone know if other schools "give out" sums of financial support like this? Or where to apply for scholarships or are you automatically admitted into potential scholarships when you applied? I like the idea of moving out of London and living in TO if I get in, but I would save much more money staying in London. My apologies for all the questions, and I appreciate any and all input :) 

Personally, I got accepted into Kings MSW 2 year program early March and was given about a week to decide. I haven't received any other acceptances, so I accepted it!!! I am curious still on hearing back from York and UofT though!

*TLDR: How you do know which MSW program is "better" than the other, any "reputations" of schools or programs I should know about, do employers care about which school you graduate from, and how do I find out info for financial support pls :)