Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

2 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

Hi there, thanks for sharing this! I was wondering how much experience majority of the people in the program have? I applied this year for the program and am waiting to hear back!

hey! Honestly, some people had no experience! It definitely is better to have at least some experience. Personally, I tried to get a lot of volunteer experience in the field, and I had one job in the field as well. I don't think you need too much experience, but having some will make your application stand out more! good luck, hope you hear back soon! :)

Hi Folks! There are a lot of questions on this platform around what the msw programs are looking for and a lot of stat sharing. I just want to give an overview on my experience applying this round for the msw advanced stream. 

Waterloo: Waitlisted 

Toronto: Waitlisted

Laurier: Declined (got the e-mail this morning)

Ryerson: Accepted

McMaster: Accepted

York: No fucking clue yet ?!!!

Honestly, I applied to as many schools as possible because I just wanted to be accepted into ONE but Ryerson, McMaster and York are the social work schools that align most with my values and the schools where I was waitlisted/rejected are more clinical focused. I was whole heartedly myself throughout all the letters and my insight around my experience during all of this is that it really depends on the school's ideology and how that align's with your own views. I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I guess my point is that I hope everyone get's into the school that most speaks to their heart ❤️. This process is gruelling and inaccessible to so many phenomenal candidates so I feel incredibly grateful. I hope we are all taking care of ourselves in whatever capacity fits best, and maybe I'll be meeting some of you in the classroom in September!

Edited by tjo

For the folks waiting for UofT: 

I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW program last year and I was notifed on April 1st 2020 (I went back and found the document so I thought I'd share here too) I hope the acceptances start to roll out soon, very stressful time for sure! I hope this helps as I know other schools are needing a response back soon. Good luck to everyone :) 

2020_uoft_waitlist.PNG

16 minutes ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW program last year and I was notifed on April 1st 2020 (I went back and found the document so I thought I'd share here too) I hope the acceptances start to roll out soon, very stressful time for sure! I hope this helps as I know other schools are needing a response back soon. Good luck to everyone :) 

2020_uoft_waitlist.PNG

I just checked and I was waitlisted on April 2nd last year. Just for anyone wondering if they send them all out in one day 

18 hours ago, ULSW123 said:

hey! Honestly, some people had no experience! It definitely is better to have at least some experience. Personally, I tried to get a lot of volunteer experience in the field, and I had one job in the field as well. I don't think you need too much experience, but having some will make your application stand out more! good luck, hope you hear back soon! :)

I know a few people who got accepted into MSW with little to no work or volunteer experience. It really depends on the grades and the overall application. 

Impatiently waiting for York’s response. I was accepted into Ryerson’s MSW but still want to hear from York.

Hi folks! I've been chatting with a few folks who received their U of T two-year decisions in different ways last year. For some Acorn changed first, and for others SGS changed first. I'd recommend checking both daily just in case! :) 

8 hours ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

2020_uoft_waitlist.PNG

I find it interesting that last year's letter included the # of applicants and # of spots available. I applied to the advanced standing program this year and there were no such figures on my wait-list letter. 

12 minutes ago, msw26 said:

I find it interesting that last year's letter included the # of applicants and # of spots available. I applied to the advanced standing program this year and there were no such figures on my wait-list letter. 

That's interesting. I am really curious to the # of applicants and I wonder why the change to hiding it.image.thumb.png.afa056a270d018249f76a7d985a59241.png

Has anyone on this forum applied to a MSW last year and was able to defer their acceptance to start this coming September? I wonder if the universities are allowed to do that and if they cap it to a certain amount? If so, then would it affect the amount of students that are admitted that have applied for this year? 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, StressedToTheMax said:

Yes, 3 of them! 2 yesterday, 1 today! I have one other who is also still waiting.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, S.B.S said:

Hi everyone!

I also just received an acceptance to advanced standing Laurier! My last name starts with an S! Seems like this is the week. Congrats to anyone else also accepted! 

Wondering if either of you could share details about the accepted applications? Gpa / experience?

Just now, StressedToTheMax said:

Tbh, I had a higher GPA than my friends but was placed on the waitlist. I plan to ask them what about my application didn't grant me admission depending on whether I get in or not.

Ive heard they look for a lot of experience so maybe there was a difference there? ? That’s a good idea though and I hope you end up getting accepted!! 

1 hour ago, Empathymatters said:

Has anyone on this forum applied to a MSW last year and was able to defer their acceptance to start this coming September? I wonder if the universities are allowed to do that and if they cap it to a certain amount? If so, then would it affect the amount of students that are admitted that have applied for this year? 

I didn't apply last year but I attended one of U of T's info sessions for advanced standing in the summer and they said that a number of people deferred last year because of covid. They weren't sure if they'd let people defer like that again this upcoming year. I'm not sure if they're taking less students on this year because of all of the deferrals or how that's working out. My understanding is that Waterloo doesn't let you defer. Not sure about other schools.

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and have realized that corporate is not for me and I really want to go back to school to get my MSW. I was feeling great about that decision until reading this blog to realize how competitive the programs are (and how amazing all of you are!)

I was hoping for your perspectives on how realistic it might be for me to apply for a MSW in 2022. I went to school for business, have worked in Marketing, Analytics and now HR for a couple of years. My grades are okay (avg ~80%), I've been volunteering with Kids HelpPhone as a Crisis responder for about 2 years now (but only 4 hours a week), and recently started volunteering to call seniors. 

I think I can get pretty good references, but don't have any professional work experience. I was looking to apply at Windsor, Western, UBC-O, University of Manitoba, Carlton and Dal. I was hoping for your thoughts of if it's even worth applying?

Thanks for your help! And best of luck for 2021 admissions :)

Edited by plantlady23

7 minutes ago, plantlady23 said:

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and have realized that corporate is not for me and I really want to go back to school to get my MSW. I was feeling great about that decision until reading this blog to realize how competitive the programs are (and how amazing all of you are!)

I was hoping for your perspectives on how realistic it might be for me to apply for a MSW in 2022. I went to school for business, have worked in Marketing, Analytics and now HR for a couple of years. My grades are okay (avg ~80%), I've been volunteering with Kids HelpPhone as a Crisis responder for about 2 years now (but only 4 hours a week), and recently started volunteering to call seniors. 

I think I can get pretty good references, but don't have any professional work experience. I was looking to apply at Windsor, Western, UBC-O, University of Manitoba, Carlton and Dal. I was hoping for your thoughts of if it's even worth applying?

Thanks for your help! And best of luck for 2021 admissions :)

Always worth applying mate. The alternative to not applying (i.e. Hating the work that you do / stuck in a job you hate) is much worse than not taking the chance at something better. Plus, the cool thing about most MSWs is they look at your application as a whole. A strong personal statement along with the experience you have can go a long way. 

Rooting for you (and maybe even us if I don't get in this year) for 2022