Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

13 minutes ago, Melissa2021 said:

I did not get a request, which has made me nervous that I'm going to be rejected. Was wondering if anyone else had been asked for their official. 

Oh I understand! I don’t think they’ll ask for officials until they send out the acceptances (which should be coming soon). Don’t worry, I don’t think anyone has been asked for an official transcript yet for the 2-year as a domestic student (as far as I know). 

21 hours ago, S.B.S said:

Hi everyone!

I also just received an acceptance to advanced standing Laurier! My last name starts with an S! Seems like this is the week. Congrats to anyone else also accepted! 

Congrats! Did you apply to the online program or in person? 

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting :) Congrats to all who have been accepted, and fingers crossed for those waiting.

I have been accepted to U of T's and Laurier's advanced standing MSW programs. I am at a bit of a crossroads, and am wondering if anybody has any additional information regarding U of T's funding capabilities.

U of T is my top choice program. However, it is to my understanding that students can only apply for internal funding once already enrolled. Laurier offered me the OGS as well as an entrance scholarship upon admission. I wrote to U of T and asked if they are in a position to match the funding, to which they declined.

Does anybody have any prior experience with these schools? U of T seems to offer everything I am looking for, but it is difficult to turn down that chunk of change. Any information that might be help with tipping the scales in favour of one program over the other would be much appreciated!

Edited by SocialWerkin

8 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Hi!! When do people think we will hear for the 2 year MSW at UofT? Im leaning more towards next week unfortunately. 

Hey! Given that UofT sent out acceptances to the 1y students a few days later than in previous years, I'm expecting next week as well. Maybe late next week? Doesn't stop me from checking Acorn all the time though lol.

3 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey! Given that UofT sent out acceptances to the 1y students a few days later than in previous years, I'm expecting next week as well. Maybe late next week? Doesn't stop me from checking Acorn all the time though lol.

I was really hoping to hear this week but that makes sense. Still holding out hope!!

Edited by MacaroniGirl

15 hours ago, Messy said:

Congratulations!!! When were you notified if you got into York's Post-Degree BSW? I haven't been able to get any information from York about when acceptances go out for that program. I'm very anxiously waiting on the York BSW Post-degree and the 2-year MSW program at UofT, so very similar track!

Oh wow! Honestly, U of T and York (2-year) let me know I was waitlisted in early April (which I was on until September...). I didn't find out about the Post-Degree BSW until the end of April. It was so hard waiting! Sending you love!

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how valuable Education Assistant experience is for social work? I am thinking of jobs to apply for if I do not get into any programs and it is difficult to find social work related experiences without a BSW. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how valuable Education Assistant experience is for social work? I am thinking of jobs to apply for if I do not get into any programs and it is difficult to find social work related experiences without a BSW. Thanks!

So I don't have a BSW and am applying to 2 year programs, but my impression from reading up and going to webinars for a few programs, it seems like any experience where you're directly interacting with people is something (even customer service), and any experience where you're "helping"/teaching/providing support to people is even better. Probably the closer you can get to social work experience, the better, but if you don't have a BSW they're probably not expecting a lot of that, but rather transferable skills and demonstrated competency in similar environments. Education assistant experience seems like it would be great!

I'm probably not the most qualified to comment on this, but that's what I've picked up!

5 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

So someone has heard from UofT 2 year MSW today. They posted on the OISE counselling and psychotherapy forum. They unfortunately were not accepted. I guess they are starting today. Has anyone else heard? 

Interesting that they are sending those out before they've done acceptances and waitlist

5 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

So someone has heard from UofT 2 year MSW today. They posted on the OISE counselling and psychotherapy forum. They unfortunately were not accepted. I guess they are starting today. Has anyone else heard? 

agh I haven’t heard back yet. I applied to the two year MSW last year and was waitlisted. I have applied again this round and the anticipation has been building up! Hope to hear soon! 

3 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

agh I haven’t heard back yet. I applied to the two year MSW last year and was waitlisted. I have applied again this round and the anticipation has been building up! Hope to hear soon! 

I was waitlisted last year too. I think in many ways being waitlisted is worse than rejection! Good luck :)

6 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Interesting that they are sending those out before they've done acceptances and waitlist

5 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Yeah, this seems unusual for UofT

I also think it's very weird. Maybe new way of doing things? 

Just now, Kal008 said:

I was waitlisted last year too. I think in many ways being waitlisted is worse than rejection! Good luck :)

Right! I was (obsessively) checking my email throughout the spring and summer months. Hard to know what next steps to take/whether to start looking for full time jobs when you could receive a spot at any point up to September.  Good luck as well :) 

Just now, MSW2020lm said:

I also think it's very weird. Maybe new way of doing things? 

Honestly it's hard to know other peoples' situations - maybe an accidentally incomplete application, or an app that didn't meet admission requirements? Maybe an international student who's only getting a decision now?

13 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Honestly it's hard to know other peoples' situations - maybe an accidentally incomplete application, or an app that didn't meet admission requirements? Maybe an international student who's only getting a decision now?

For sure. Maybe this does mean we will hear this week? 

18 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

3 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

For sure. Maybe this does mean we will hear this week? 

When they announced the 1 year acceptances a few weeks ago I think it was on a thursday/friday. So we should still be hopeful for this week. I just reached out to the person who got rejected asking if they were international or canadian applicant - hopefully that clarifies a bit. I guess not hearing so far is till a good thing, for now at least!

Just now, Odyssey417 said:

When they announced the 1 year acceptances a few weeks ago I think it was on a thursday/friday. So we should still be hopeful for this week. I just reached out to the person who got rejected asking if they were international or canadian applicant - hopefully that clarifies a bit. I guess not hearing so far is till a good thing, for now at least!

But also ACORN changes like 1-2 days before the SGS notification. Has anyone's ACORN changed?