Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

1 hour ago, tjo said:

I am just responding to the inquiries about admissions and numbers in regard to MSW programs - a couple of connections I have at York (field placement coordinator, two tenure professors who review applications) shared with me that applications have substantially increased this year across the board (MSW and PhD applications) and the staff are associating it with the pandemic (e.g., job loss, upgrading, stay-at-home orders etc.)

Honestly, knowing that it was an extra competitive application cycle makes me feel slightly less discouraged by the waiting. I hope York releases their decisions soooooooon. 

1 hour ago, tjo said:

I am just responding to the inquiries about admissions and numbers in regard to MSW programs - a couple of connections I have at York (field placement coordinator, two tenure professors who review applications) shared with me that applications have substantially increased this year across the board (MSW and PhD applications) and the staff are associating it with the pandemic (e.g., job loss, upgrading, stay-at-home orders etc.)

Looking at the forum from last year, it seems like there might also be fewer spots from people deferring their acceptance to this year.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, SCCPHopeful said:

is the message I received from Angela at admission when I asked last week: "We anticipate MSW applications will be moved to under review by the end of January. Decisions will be out by mid-April." Which matches the timeline last year. Though some admission star

Last year York did not respond to me (2 year stream) until JUNE 15th. It was absurd 

11 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Last year York did not respond to me (2 year stream) until JUNE 15th. It was absurd 

Yikes. I was hoping for a bday miracle today--that somehow York would sense it's my bday and release admission decisions. Hahaha, clearly not. 

I'm not 100% but I think other folks have posted late march to mid april??? Please someone correct me on this. I applied for advanced standing. 

Were you on the waitlist? I'm just trying to wrap my head around June 15th. 

6 minutes ago, fatnrad said:

Yikes. I was hoping for a bday miracle today--that somehow York would sense it's my bday and release admission decisions. Hahaha, clearly not. 

I'm not 100% but I think other folks have posted late march to mid april??? Please someone correct me on this. I applied for advanced standing. 

Were you on the waitlist? I'm just trying to wrap my head around June 15th. 

Happy Birthday!!! :)

Don't quote me on this but my understanding was that York doesn't let people know if they are on a wait list. That if you aren't immediately rejected you can assume you are on their wait list? It never made sense to me. I would have rather been rejected right away than to hear crickets until mid summer (although obviously I knew I had not gotten in, it would have been nice to have that confirmation given that I was on U of T's wait list). 

Sending hope and support to everyone waiting.

I have only applied to the pt online Laurier program, so I have a lot of time before I hear back. 

I graduated from the SSW program in 2008. I am finishing up my undergrad with Guelph Humber in the Family and Community Social Service program with a 4.0. I have 13 years of experience in the field but very little volunteer experience. Based on the high competition, I am already preparing myself for rejection lol. 

I reached out to York Msw admissions for an update on the processing for the 2- year program and this is what they said: 

We have received a record number of applications this year (especially in our most competitive program, the MSW 2 years program), which has unfortunately delayed our Review process - we apologize for this.

Applicants for the MSW 2 years program can expect a Decision by mid to late April 2021. Once a Decision is made, it will be updated on your MFYILE portal; therefore, please keep monitoring your myfile account. You are also welcome to contact us if you don’t hear from us by the end April.” 

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!!!

Edited by MacaroniGirl

3 hours ago, fatnrad said:

@bettyWhite If you are set on a clinical practicum, I would definitely recommend choosing Waterloo. I was a Research Assistant for Ryerson's MSW last year and I can confirm that there are ZERO clinical placements with Ryerson's MSW. Moreover, they have zero clinically-focussed classes. 

So I spoke to a rep at Waterloo and they informed me that students would have to do the leg work to find hospital placements. And unfortunately I have zero connections at hospitals to improve my chances of securing a placement. And with covid a lot of hospitals aren’t taking on volunteers so not sure how to make those connections from now to September. 

37 minutes ago, bettyWhite said:

So I spoke to a rep at Waterloo and they informed me that students would have to do the leg work to find hospital placements. And unfortunately I have zero connections at hospitals to improve my chances of securing a placement. And with covid a lot of hospitals aren’t taking on volunteers so not sure how to make those connections from now to September. 

I would try reaching out to the Grand River Hospital in KW and let them know that you will be completing your Masters at UW and that you would be interested in doing your placement there to see what they recommend :)  

54 minutes ago, edz77 said:

has anyone heard anything from Angela about when 2 year acceptances might be coming out?

Some people posted last week about it. It seems her response right now is the same as the website - by mid-April. She probably cannot tell us an exact date. Past years seemed to find out the end of March or early April. But it is so hard to wait.

1 hour ago, canadabc123 said:

I just received my offer from UBC Okanagan for the MSW foundational program. I hope those of you who applied to this program, will hear soon from UBCO.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Well, if that’s the case, I shall await for my rejection letter soon

I was accepted to uWindsor for the 2 year program today! Since I live really far away from Windsor and already got in somewhere else, I'll be rejecting the offer so hopefully someone on the waitlist will hear back soon! Was informed by email to check eGAS today around 4pm. My 'Status Change Date' was changed 3 times before they sent me a decision (once in Jan and twice in the beginning of March).

Hello lovely people ?

I feel the waiting game struggle... I applied last year to two-year MSW programs at various schools with no luck of getting off any waitlist. I applied again this year and am actually on the waitlist for Carleton University’s two-year MSW, which I’m feeling hopeful about since I hadn’t previously applied to that school . To anyone who received an offer of admission for the Carleton  two-year MSW: I’m wondering if you could share how long you have to make a decision to accept or decline. 

Thanks!

Sincerely, a worried gal?

So I started a count down till the 25th of March. According to previous threads U of T 2-year acceptances come out between the 25th and early April. Even though this is pure conjecture it’s still nice for me to feel like I have some idea of what is going on even if I don’t get in haha 

That being said...9 days till the 25th! 

Maybe this can add some fun to a stressful and uncertain time for others that are waiting too 

Just now, MacaroniGirl said:

So I started a count down till the 25th of March. According to previous threads U of T 2-year acceptances come out between the 25th and early April. Even though this is pure conjecture it’s still nice for me to feel like I have some idea of what is going on even if I don’t get in haha 

That being said...9 days till the 25th! 

Maybe this can add some fun to a stressful and uncertain time for others that are waiting too 

Woohoo 9 more days! ? I love this idea haha!

It definitely is super stressful as I just sit by my computer constantly checking ACORN and my email. Hopefully we all hear back from UofT and the rest of universities soon :) 

54 minutes ago, nyc_brooklyn_ said:

I tried to call them about it but I can't find a phone number that works.

Has anyone who have not been accepted, heard back about this interview glitch?

Hey , contact them on their online chat . I’m still awaiting a response . 

Hey guys, so I just got a letter from that I chose this program as my top choice and that they look forward to meeting me. Uwinsdor that says Recruitment letter. Nothing has changed on OUAC for the post-BSW program. It just in the letter that they look forward to meeting me. Did anyone else get this letter? I emailed them to ask, as they did not clearly state I got in. I have to wait for a response. 

5 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

Hey guys, so I just got a letter from that I chose this program as my top choice and that they look forward to meeting me. Uwinsdor that says Recruitment letter. Nothing has changed on OUAC for the post-BSW program. It just in the letter that they look forward to meeting me. Did anyone else get this letter? I emailed them to ask, as they did not clearly state I got in. I have to wait for a response. 

Hey! It sounds like UWin has been sending emails instructing people to check eGAS when they've been accepted. Are you able to check your status there?