Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

43 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

In my previous applications I received the results around those times (March 26th), and if you look back to previous years' threads people received their results at the end of March/first week of April. 

Ahhh I can’t believe it’s only the 8th :( I’m waiting for U of T and it’s starting to eat at me 

1 minute ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Ahhh I can’t believe it’s only the 8th :( I’m waiting for U of T and it’s starting to eat at me 

me too.. I am thinking about calling or emailing them tomorrow to ask when they will give offers out.

15 hours ago, amesyall said:

Just found out that I've been accepted to the University of Windsor's two-year MSW :) Best of luck to everyone as we begin to hear back! 

Congrats on your acceptance! How did they notify you? (email, mail or did you check your application status?) Thank you for your insight! :) 

12 minutes ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

Congrats on your acceptance! How did they notify you? (email, mail or did you check your application status?) Thank you for your insight! :) 

Thank you! I got an email from uWin saying that a decision had been made and they directed me to check eGAS :) 

14 hours ago, Odyssey417 said:

Please let us know if you do!

Yes, I just tried calling this number: 416 978 6314 and it went to Angela's voicemail. Email might be the better option to reach them, I will update you again when I hear back.  

Dear All,

I have just signed in to this forum, which seems very informative and useful for the prospective social work applicants. I do not think this is right time to put my story in, as we all have already done with the applications and waiting for the results. Good Luck to all!!!

Since I have gone through the posts and it gave me both solace and worried at some point that how would I get through. 

A bit about my profile: 

1- Master in Globalization and International Development from UK ( Merit)

2- Master in Public Administration ( First Div)

3- Almost 10-years of practical work experience in both Not-for-profits and governmental sectors (USAID, Oxfam International+ Govt).

4- 22000 hrs work experience 

5- New comer in Canada as a Permanent Resident

6- Applied to Dal and UofT for MSW ( non-BSW) entry and MA Educational Administration at McGill. and have not heard back anything except from McGill where I am on waitlist. 

What are the chances???

Regards

2 hours ago, Sunny Khan said:

Dear All,

I have just signed in to this forum, which seems very informative and useful for the prospective social work applicants. I do not think this is right time to put my story in, as we all have already done with the applications and waiting for the results. Good Luck to all!!!

Since I have gone through the posts and it gave me both solace and worried at some point that how would I get through. 

A bit about my profile: 

3- Almost 10-years of practical work experience in both Not-for-profits and governmental sectors (USAID, Oxfam International+ Govt).

6- Applied to Dal and UofT for MSW ( non-BSW) entry and MA Educational Administration at McGill. and have not heard back anything except from McGill where I am on waitlist. 

What are the chances???

Regards

Hey! It sounds like you have some great experience and would be a fantastic and highly experienced candidate.

I think it's so hard to say what the chances are for these kinds of programs because it's so situational year-by-year with who applies. I saw in past threads that some people with a lot of direct service hours were denied, while others with fewer hours were admitted, making it really difficult to compare yourself to the people here on these threads. I think your grades, references, and personal statement in particular make a huge difference (in addition to the hours worked). If you feel good about those other aspects of your applications, they will compliment the amazing amount of hours you have really well!

I'd say keep checking the Dal and UoT portals and best of luck with your applications!! I hope it all works out for you :)

Edited by SocialWork123

2 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

Hey! It sounds like you have some great experience and would be a fantastic and highly experienced candidate.

I think it's so hard to say what the chances are for these kinds of programs because it's so situational year-by-year with who applies. I saw in past threads that some people with a lot of direct service hours were denied, while others with fewer hours were admitted, making it really difficult to compare yourself to the people here on these threads. I think your grades, references, and personal statement in particular make a huge difference (in addition to the hours worked). If you feel good about those other aspects of your applications, they will compliment the amazing amount of hours you have really well!

I'd say keep checking the Dal and UoT portals and best of luck with your applications!! I hope it all works out for you :)

Thanks for your encouraging reply?. Yes, when l see my resume it has everything what they need but on the other side, when l check the threads and comments by different applicants it seems like ..."you dnt know what would be the end result". So no one is sure. 

I hope they will consider my work in INGOs as Master Trainer and Social Organizer. Btw what does experience mean to them? Some people mentioned that they worked in restaurants, bars and university cafes. Does this type of work experience count?

7 minutes ago, Sunny Khan said:

Thanks for your encouraging reply?. Yes, when l see my resume it has everything what they need but on the other side, when l check the threads and comments by different applicants it seems like ..."you dnt know what would be the end result". So no one is sure. 

I hope they will consider my work in INGOs as Master Trainer and Social Organizer. Btw what does experience mean to them? Some people mentioned that they worked in restaurants, bars and university cafes. Does this type of work experience count?

From the UofT MSW admissions requirements, they are ideally looking for this:

https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/admissions/msw/admission-requirements/

"Experience (voluntary or paid) in the social services and knowledge of critical social issues are recommended. Suitability for professional practice will also be considered."

I just got my rejection from UVic. I am at peace with it but I just wanted to post here for those who are waiting on UVic to get back to them...I think this must mean admissions have started!!! Best of luck everyone :)

Edited by MacaroniGirl

On 3/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, m.to said:

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how the U of T Advanced Standing Wait-List works? It said on my letter that the list isn't ranked, which makes me wonder how they choose who gets admitted? I was waitlisted last year and it seems like from reading these forums in past years that it is quite rare to get in off the waitlist ?

Ya I found it a bit strange to be honest. I emailed asking for clarification. They would not provide much detail. 

5 hours ago, Sunny Khan said:

Dear All,

A bit about my profile: 

What are the chances???

Regards

I’m not sure why you haven’t heard from Dal yet - I heard from them last month. Maybe there is a certain order in which they notify applicants, ie. Canadian citizens first? You seem like a strong applicant. My understanding of what they are looking for experience wise is directly related to social work/social services. Wishing you all the best :) 

18 minutes ago, JMW89 said:

I’m not sure why you haven’t heard from Dal yet - I heard from them last month. Maybe there is a certain order in which they notify applicants, ie. Canadian citizens first? You seem like a strong applicant. My understanding of what they are looking for experience wise is directly related to social work/social services. Wishing you all the best :) 

Thanks for your comment. Well, am also a permanent resident and so be treated likewise but l still haven't heard back from them. I think the reason why l haven't heard back soon, was receiving of my material to the school of social work, l actually sent them to the registrar office instead. I think around three weeks ago, they sent me a regret email saying that since school of social work did not receive my documents on due date. In reply, l sent them my postal receipt as a proof that l sent my docum

That l sent my documents on time. They accepted my plea and asked me to resend the documents via email. I sent it on same day. After that l have not heard anything from Dal so far. 

So that might be the on of the reasons that l haven't heard back, l guess. Did anyone from this group with non-BSW entry heard back yet?

23 hours ago, starnugget said:

is it for foundational or advanced?

advanced!

14 hours ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

email with the subject line "Admission Offer," with a link to the official letter on the portal. good luck!

21 hours ago, Kal008 said:

Angela is pretty good at promptly responding to emails but I imagine we will hear back from U of T (2 year) at the end of March as we did last year

Yes she said we will know by mid-April....(I am hoping in March though) 

11 hours ago, fingers_crossed_2021 said:

Just got my acceptance into Carleton’s 2-Yr program! 

anyone else is also going to this program/school? I would love to know more about the school/city before I make a decision :) 

I did my undergrad at Carleton and from Ottawa- it's a great city and always something happening (pre-COVID times). Most people live off-campus and commute into school. 1st year undergrads usually party on the Quebec side and other than The Panda Game, not a big party school. Lots of clubs and communities to get involved in and most social science profs I had were awesome. Ottawa has some really great community centers, hospitals, not-for-profits and placement oppurtunities too, take a look at those as well! I hope that helps and congrats on your acceptance! 

17 hours ago, Sunny Khan said:

That l sent my documents on time. They accepted my plea and asked me to resend the documents via email. I sent it on same day. After that l have not heard anything from Dal so far. 

So that might be the on of the reasons that l haven't heard back, l guess. Did anyone from this group with non-BSW entry heard back yet?

I do not have a BSW and I got accepted to Dal on February 23rd via e-mail. I got a letter in the mail from them first on February 9th saying that I was "recommended for acceptance" but the final decision would be made by the Dean.