Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

29 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

A question to those of you applying to UVic MSW - is working in social policy your primary interest? If not, do you know anyone who has graduated from the UVic MSW recently and has gone on to become a clinical social worker? 

I am asking because I too applied to UVic and would love the chance to live in such a beautiful city! However, after looking at the course offerings in the program they look more policy oriented than clinical. I am currently working in a social policy role and am hoping to switch over to working clinically as a social worker. I love the anti-colonial, anti-oppressive bent of the program but I am worried it won’t give me the clinical skills I am looking for. 

Hey there,

I'm already working with Island Health so the MSW will allow me to move up into a clinical role. The anti-colonial, anti-oppressive focus fits completely with where I am at.

The online offering of the program is another selling point for me as I have four kids and uprooting them for my schooling would be quite an undertaking. 

Good luck to you!

1 minute ago, ChipDip said:

@MSWamyDid you apply to other schools? I am hoping that I might get into the other 3 schools I applied for but this definitely makes me nervous lol

I applied for the 2 year at U of T too, I know Kings is very small so the amount of people they accept and waitlist is much less than other schools as well

5 minutes ago, SocialWork123 said:

Just received an email that I have been waitlisted for King's 2 year MSW. Really hope it works out!!

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted, this forum has been so nice to read through.

It will!! My friend didn’t find out she was wait listed until May and then still got in! So we have hope !!

Just now, MSWamy said:

I applied for the 2 year at U of T too, I know Kings is very small so the amount of people they accept and waitlist is much less than other schools as well

Me too, I also applied to York and Laurier. And yea I completely agree! Its very small, so just gotta be positive and hope for the best. I wish you the best of luck! 

Just now, olivolia said:

It will!! My friend didn’t find out she was wait listed until May and then still got in! So we have hope !!

Ah!!!! It's so hard not to get my hopes up but let me tell ya...they're up lol! Really hope it works out for us :)

I was rejected last year so even being waitlisted is such an honour

Just now, SocialWork123 said:

Ah!!!! It's so hard not to get my hopes up but let me tell ya...they're up lol! Really hope it works out for us :)

I was rejected last year so even being waitlisted is such an honour

I was rejected last year as well lol! But a lot of people deny kings because of the lack of funding they (don’t) provide. So they usually end up sending even a second round of wait list spots in May! So being first round I think is very hopeful!!

3 minutes ago, olivolia said:

I was rejected last year as well lol! But a lot of people deny kings because of the lack of funding they (don’t) provide. So they usually end up sending even a second round of wait list spots in May! So being first round I think is very hopeful!!

That makes sense, it's definitely pretty eye popping to see the numbers Toronto schools offer up for funding! Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing that with me :)

1 minute ago, SocialWork123 said:

That makes sense, it's definitely pretty eye popping to see the numbers Toronto schools offer up for funding! Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing that with me :)

No worries! Best of luck as well :) maybe I will see you in the program!

20 minutes ago, olivolia said:

I also just received an email that I got waitlisted at King’s University... pretty bummed out about it. I read an article on the news that this year Western and Laurier saw an increase in people applying to grad school. Do people on the waitlist usually get a spot? This is my first time applying and new to all of this 

2 minutes ago, avanti321 said:

I also just received an email that I got waitlisted at King’s University... pretty bummed out about it. I read an article on the news that this year Western and Laurier saw an increase in people applying to grad school. Do people on the waitlist usually get a spot? This is my first time applying and new to all of this 

I’ve had 3 friends who were wait listed at King’s and all of them got in! Laurier I was wait listed last year and never moved off the wait list. But kings offers no funding so  a lot more people reject their offer!

1 minute ago, olivolia said:

I’ve had 3 friends who were wait listed at King’s and all of them got in! Laurier I was wait listed last year and never moved off the wait list. But kings offers no funding so  a lot more people reject their offer!

Thank you for the information! I don't have any friends who've applied to social work programs so this forum has been helpful. I guess we just wait and see! I applied to Laurier 2-year program as well but, not getting my hopes up for that since I know a lot of people apply to Laurier's program. 

Hey there,

I see a lot of people in this thread have applied to Laurier's online part-time MSW.

Have any of you had a chance to connect to grads or current students? I had an apt with an advisor and they said the program was fully asynchronous, which is disappointing to me. I asked to be connected to current/past students but they said they don't do that. It's hard to find any information about the program because it's so new.

Anybody know anything about the structure of the program and the asynchronous component? Is it all discussion forum based?

1 hour ago, HeatherCol said:

Hey there,

I'm already working with Island Health so the MSW will allow me to move up into a clinical role. The anti-colonial, anti-oppressive focus fits completely with where I am at.

The online offering of the program is another selling point for me as I have four kids and uprooting them for my schooling would be quite an undertaking. 

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for responding! It sounds like UVic makes perfect sense for you and you sound like a great applicant. Good luck :) 

Hey folks! I've applied to the two-year on-campus MSW program at uWindsor and I noticed today that my Status Change Date says today (March 5th) but my application status still says "In Process." Is this the case for anyone else? 

1 hour ago, amesyall said:

Hey folks! I've applied to the two-year on-campus MSW program at uWindsor and I noticed today that my Status Change Date says today (March 5th) but my application status still says "In Process." Is this the case for anyone else? 

Yes! My status date changed a few days ago as well, not sure what that means though.