Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

13 hours ago, fingers_crossed_2021 said:

Just got my acceptance into Carleton’s 2-Yr program! 

anyone else is also going to this program/school? I would love to know more about the school/city before I make a decision :) 

Congratulations! I was recently accepted too Carleton and am so excited. It’s clinical specialization has a very good reputation and like others have mentioned, they seem pretty good at matching people with placement opportunities. There is a large community of hospital social workers and psychotherapists in Ottawa who graduated from Carleton’s MSW which I will also interpret as a good sign haha 

28 minutes ago, sammyk said:

I do not have a BSW and I got accepted to Dal on February 23rd via e-mail. I got a letter in the mail from them first on February 9th saying that I was "recommended for acceptance" but the final decision would be made by the Dean. 

Congrats!!! Are you a domestic applicant? I do not know why they are taking that long even they have received all my details three weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Sunny Khan said:

Congrats!!! Are you a domestic applicant? I do not know why they are taking that long even they have received all my details three weeks ago.

Thank you! Yes I am a domestic applicant. 

2 minutes ago, sammyk said:

Thank you! Yes I am a domestic applicant. 

Great! As I have shared all my story above, that probably is the cause of delay in my case. Did you receive the acceptance letter via postal? By the way, I got an email from the department yesterday that they wanted me to confirm my current mailing address.  My application portal still says:

Decision: Written notification to follow

Do not know what does this imply for?

Just now, Sunny Khan said:

Great! As I have shared all my story above, that probably is the cause of delay in my case. Did you receive the acceptance letter via postal? By the way, I got an email from the department yesterday that they wanted me to confirm my current mailing address.  My application portal still says:

Decision: Written notification to follow

Do not know what does this imply for?

I received the initial letter about being "recommended for acceptance" by mail, and then the acceptance letter by email. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that means for you. If they are still contacting you to get more information on your address, I would continue waiting.

Have you tried reaching out to the department about your concerns? I tried contacting them to ask some questions about accepting their offer, and it took them over a week to get back to me. They did not answer the phone or return calls after leaving voicemails, and I tried to email different people. In the end, Lisa Parsons (social.work@dal.ca) got back to me via email the day after I sent a follow-up email. Maybe try emailing her? 

8 minutes ago, sammyk said:

I received the initial letter about being "recommended for acceptance" by mail, and then the acceptance letter by email. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that means for you. If they are still contacting you to get more information on your address, I would continue waiting.

Have you tried reaching out to the department about your concerns? I tried contacting them to ask some questions about accepting their offer, and it took them over a week to get back to me. They did not answer the phone or return calls after leaving voicemails, and I tried to email different people. In the end, Lisa Parsons (social.work@dal.ca) got back to me via email the day after I sent a follow-up email. Maybe try emailing her? 

Got you. Hoping that they will send something positive via mail as they reconfirm my mailing address. 

Yes, l tried calling them several times but no response. Lisa asked me for mailing address yesterday. Let's see ?

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to come online and vent a bit. I applied to three MSW programs - Waterloo, Ryerson and U of T. I was waitlisted for U of T and I'm kind of disappointed. Although I got into the other two schools and I am leaning toward Ryerson I was just told by the graduate office that U of T pretty much throws money at hospitals to secure placements for their students. I want to get into clinical work and work in a hospital setting so it's disappointing to know that other universities are at a disadvantage because U of T has a bigger budget - which is not only elitist but very unfair, which definitely is a contradiction to social work ethics. I'm surprised OCSWSSW doesn't intervene to level the playing field. Don't get me wrong I am so grateful to even be accepted into an MSW program but it's alarming to me that U of T can get away with monopolizing placement opportunities. 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, Hailey0707 said:

Ya I found it a bit strange to be honest. I emailed asking for clarification. They would not provide much detail. 

Hey!!! so although they say the waitlist isn't ranked, it 100% is. UofT doesn't disclose that because they don't want applicants calling in to hound them about where they are on the list. Shady to make such a statement in the letter, I know but with Ryerson they told me today that scholarships are given out based on ranked and three faculty members provide a score and then that score is combined to determine your place on the list so maybe U of T has a similar method. AND... apparently UofT outsources the interest statements to third parties to review so... who knows if actual profs are reading the applications. 

36 minutes ago, bettyWhite said:

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to come online and vent a bit. I applied to three MSW programs - Waterloo, Ryerson and U of T. I was waitlisted for U of T and I'm kind of disappointed. Although I got into the other two schools and I am leaning toward Ryerson I was just told by the graduate office that U of T pretty much throws money at hospitals to secure placements for their students. I want to get into clinical work and work in a hospital setting so it's disappointing to know that other universities are at a disadvantage because U of T has a bigger budget - which is not only elitist but very unfair, which definitely is a contradiction to social work ethics. I'm surprised OCSWSSW doesn't intervene to level the playing field. Don't get me wrong I am so grateful to even be accepted into an MSW program but it's alarming to me that U of T can get away with monopolizing placement opportunities. 

30 minutes ago, bettyWhite said:

Hey!!! so although they say the waitlist isn't ranked, it 100% is. UofT doesn't disclose that because they don't want applicants calling in to hound them about where they are on the list. Shady to make such a statement in the letter, I know but with Ryerson they told me today that scholarships are given out based on ranked and three faculty members provide a score and then that score is combined to determine your place on the list so maybe U of T has a similar method. AND... apparently UofT outsources the interest statements to third parties to review so... who knows if actual profs are reading the applications. 

Is this speculation on your end or from a credible source within UofT (e.g., current students, faculty, hospital staff)? UofT's program is incredibly huge (possibly the largest MSW cohorts in Canada), so it wouldn't surprise me if they need to operate much differently to ensure placements for all their students than UWaterloo or Ryerson. Certainly would be shocking if they could "throw money at hospitals" given the little funding they have for incoming students.

Side note if you're looking to get into clinical/hospital work, UWaterloo's program has a much stronger emphasis on healthcare than Ryerson's. I would recommend looking into the coursework of the 2 programs, as Ryerson seems to focus much more on critical practice rather than clinical skills. 

1 minute ago, BBQPork said:

Is this speculation on your end or from a credible source within UofT (e.g., current students, faculty, hospital staff)? UofT's program is incredibly huge (possibly the largest MSW cohorts in Canada), so it wouldn't surprise me if they need to operate much differently to ensure placements for all their students than UWaterloo or Ryerson. Certainly would be shocking if they could "throw money at hospitals" given the little funding they have for incoming students.

Side note if you're looking to get into clinical/hospital work, UWaterloo's program has a much stronger emphasis on healthcare than Ryerson's. I would recommend looking into the coursework of the 2 programs, as Ryerson seems to focus much more on critical practice rather than clinical skills. 

Hey! So this was from two former students and someone from ryersons msw department mentioned how uoft throws money at hospitals. I get their cohorts are huge but it’s shady lol. That makes it more difficult for universities that don’t have enough funding to compete on the same level which puts them at a disadvantage. I will definitely explore Waterloo as an option. Thanks :) 

4 hours ago, bettyWhite said:

Hey! So this was from two former students and someone from ryersons msw department mentioned how uoft throws money at hospitals. I get their cohorts are huge but it’s shady lol. That makes it more difficult for universities that don’t have enough funding to compete on the same level which puts them at a disadvantage. I will definitely explore Waterloo as an option. Thanks :) 

I understand what you’re saying but it’s kinda on the school to decide where they place their funding. UofT has the oldest MSW program in Ontario so it’s fair for them to have more established community connections. Waterloo is a good school though. A much newer MSW program but I completed my BSW there and enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, bettyWhite said:

Hi everyone, 

Ryerson is also very focused on anti-oppressive practise and not remotely interested in clinical social work. 

I did my BSW there. 

Anyone apply to Universite de Montreal or Universite Laval?   The deadline dates were much later than other programs -wondering if anyone has any experience as to when they make decisions? 

Applied for 1 year MSW, have BSW, lots of experience, grades were B+ish

7 hours ago, Liv95 said:

I understand what you’re saying but it’s kinda on the school to decide where they place their funding. UofT has the oldest MSW program in Ontario so it’s fair for them to have more established community connections. Waterloo is a good school though. A much newer MSW program but I completed my BSW there and enjoyed it.

Agreed. I wouldn’t call it “throwing money at”. It’s where they allocate their funding. Ryerson could do so as well, but they dont. 

12 hours ago, bettyWhite said:

Thanks for sharing this! I think it might also be because UofT has a medical school so it has a stronger relationship with hospitals/provides more funding to hospitals due to that.

Has anyone received a physical/mailed copy of their UofT acceptance? I’m not sure if we need to mail our decision into the graduate office or is there an email/online option? (I’m nervous it won’t arrive on time by mail)

33 minutes ago, Liv95 said:

Has anyone received a physical/mailed copy of their UofT acceptance? I’m not sure if we need to mail our decision into the graduate office or is there an email/online option? (I’m nervous it won’t arrive on time by mail)

UPDATE: Angela said to email the signed form to admissions.fsw@utoronto.ca. Sorry if this was already discussed/known.

Anyone on the Kings 2 year waitlist hear anything? Or does anyone who has been accepted know that they will be declining the spot? 

Makes me nervous to think we could commit elsewhere and then find out months from now that we got off the list!

48 minutes ago, Liv95 said:

Hi I was accepted to the MSW Advanced Standing Gerontology. I downloaded the acceptance form and the other two mandatory form, signed scanned and emailed them to the admissionsfsw email. Angela acknowledged that they have received them. I hope that helps. I have not got a physical copy.