Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

57 minutes ago, sarun said:

Hi I was accepted to the MSW Advanced Standing Gerontology. I downloaded the acceptance form and the other two mandatory form, signed scanned and emailed them to the admissionsfsw email. Angela acknowledged that they have received them. I hope that helps. I have not got a physical copy.

Thank you :) 

I'm really curious to know when U of T's regular track decisions will come out. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that admissions said they would be releasing decisions mid-April, but I've also heard folks saying that previous years have heard in the last half of March. This waiting game is rough! My fingers are crossed for everyone :) 

16 minutes ago, amesyall said:

I'm really curious to know when U of T's regular track decisions will come out. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that admissions said they would be releasing decisions mid-April, but I've also heard folks saying that previous years have heard in the last half of March. This waiting game is rough! My fingers are crossed for everyone :) 

We should definitely start getting results from UofT somewhere between March 22nd and April 2nd. In my experience I received results way before mid-April. 

3 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

Anyone on the Kings 2 year waitlist hear anything? Or does anyone who has been accepted know that they will be declining the spot? 

Makes me nervous to think we could commit elsewhere and then find out months from now that we got off the list!

I'm on the waitlist for King's University 2-YR MSW program and haven't heard anything :(

17 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

We should definitely start getting results from UofT somewhere between March 22nd and April 2nd. In my experience I received results way before mid-April. 

Thanks for your reply! I hope that's the case again this year :)

Edited by amesyall

6 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

Anyone on the Kings 2 year waitlist hear anything? Or does anyone who has been accepted know that they will be declining the spot? 

Makes me nervous to think we could commit elsewhere and then find out months from now that we got off the list!

I was accepted into the program and they have given me until March 18th to accept/decline the offer. So I assume you will hear back after then? My decision also depends on responses from other universities (like UofT) so when other offers go out, the waitlist will probably move faster. Good luck!

Edited by shehra

1 hour ago, InfoMSW2021 said:

Hi! 

1. Has any heard from Laurier advance standing MSW yet?

2. What are the odds of getting off UofT waitlist?

3. Has anyone got off the waitlist yet (UofT)? 

It’s probably too early for anyone to have gotten off the U of T waitlist. I believe students who are offered admission are given about a month to accept or decline. After that date they will assess the waitlist. 

In terms of the odds of getting off the waitlist, I don’t think anyone can really predict that. From what I’ve read in previous forums the waitlist is quite long. 

3 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

It’s probably too early for anyone to have gotten off the U of T waitlist. I believe students who are offered admission are given about a month to accept or decline. After that date they will assess the waitlist. 

In terms of the odds of getting off the waitlist, I don’t think anyone can really predict that. From what I’ve read in previous forums the waitlist is quite long. 

Thank you for responding! Yes, I was wondering how long the waitlist was, since they don't provide a number as to where you are on the list. So, I guess the waiting game continues ... :P

Hey everyone, I'm a 2-year MSW hopeful who's been lurking here since last summer, so I thought it was finally time to post something. It's helpful to hear what kind of gpas and work experience other folks have, but I think it can be really easy to compare yourself to others when really it's just so hard to tell what exact combination of grades/experience will get you in. I know I've gotten pretty intense about checking this forum a lot, and I wanted to hopefully bring a little bit of positivity and hear what you're doing to keep your mind off of waiting for admissions decisions (especially the 2 year folks who might still have a ways to go). 

It's finally getting a little warmer and sunnier here in southeastern ON, so I'm trying to take advantage of it and get outside a bit more! I also joined a zoom book club to try and rekindle my love of reading outside of just constantly reading for school. Admissions season can be intense - what're you all doing?

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey everyone, I'm a 2-year MSW hopeful who's been lurking here since last summer, so I thought it was finally time to post something. It's helpful to hear what kind of gpas and work experience other folks have, but I think it can be really easy to compare yourself to others when really it's just so hard to tell what exact combination of grades/experience will get you in. I know I've gotten pretty intense about checking this forum a lot, and I wanted to hopefully bring a little bit of positivity and hear what you're doing to keep your mind off of waiting for admissions decisions (especially the 2 year folks who might still have a ways to go). 

It's finally getting a little warmer and sunnier here in southeastern ON, so I'm trying to take advantage of it and get outside a bit more! I also joined a zoom book club to try and rekindle my love of reading outside of just constantly reading for school. Admissions season can be intense - what're you all doing?

I love this idea! I hope the waiting game hasn't been too stressful and you hear some good news soon!

I've personally been soaking up the beautiful sunshine we've been having in southern Ontario, and trying to limit how much I get caught up in worrying about what's to come. Trusting the process here :)

Something I've found helpful is to engage regularly with my friends, but either explicitly or subtly directing the conversation away from those scary "have you heard anything yet?"/"what's your plan for school next year" style questions. I was getting stressed with always having to say "not yet!", so I've made it a goal of mine to keep my life updates away from school and instead update people directly once I know something. 

It's been really nice to go through this with you folks. Wishing you all the best!

2 hours ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

I got in too! Found out yesterday- yippie! :) 

Congratulation! Did they happen to say when the deadline to accept is? I am on the waitlist so I was just curious about when it may start to move. 

24 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

Congratulation! Did they happen to say when the deadline to accept is? I am on the waitlist so I was just curious about when it may start to move. 

Hi! I got accepted yesterday as well to uWindsor and my deadline is April 1 - they give 21 days after the invitation is made :)

Hey everyone! I know this is a stressful time so I hope you’re all prioritizing self care and giving your mind a break (always, but especially now). I thought I’d share an article about managing stress while waiting for acceptances. It’s meant for undergrad acceptances but it can be generalized to grad school apps as well :) Take care, folks. 

https://www.psychalive.org/wait-acceptance-letter-cope-stress/ 

As I try and figure out the Plan B after not getting into UVIC's MSW program for September; I'm wondering if there is a place to look to see the size of the MSW classes for Canadian universities? I realized after the fact, that UVIC's MSW program only takes about 20 students a year and they had over 150 applications. 

I'm applying at Laurier right now for the part time MSW program but would love to know how likely it is to be accepted before all of the stress of waiting it out again. 

2 hours ago, HeatherCol said:

As I try and figure out the Plan B after not getting into UVIC's MSW program for September; I'm wondering if there is a place to look to see the size of the MSW classes for Canadian universities? I realized after the fact, that UVIC's MSW program only takes about 20 students a year and they had over 150 applications. 

I'm applying at Laurier right now for the part time MSW program but would love to know how likely it is to be accepted before all of the stress of waiting it out again. 

Hey! I don't think there's a specific place with all of them listed, but I went to Q&As/webinars for Laurier and UofT, and Laurier said they take 78 students and usually get around 400 apps, and UofT takes 140 students and usually gets around 700 apps. I can't remember if that was overall or for just the 2y program, but my guess is that it's for overall/for both programs. I know that the online program for Laurier has lower acceptance rates, but I can't speak to the specifics of that, I was mostly just listening for fall 2021 2y admissions.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey! I don't think there's a specific place with all of them listed, but I went to Q&As/webinars for Laurier and UofT, and Laurier said they take 78 students and usually get around 400 apps, and UofT takes 140 students and usually gets around 700 apps. I can't remember if that was overall or for just the 2y program, but my guess is that it's for overall/for both programs. I know that the online program for Laurier has lower acceptance rates, but I can't speak to the specifics of that, I was mostly just listening for fall 2021 2y admissions.

In York's info session they said last year they got 300 applicants for 20 spots in their two year program, and 250-300 applicants for 40 spots in their advanced standing program. 

Laurier was 400 applicants for 78 spots in their two year program and 200 applicants for 28 spots in advanced. 

Lakehead's MSW takes 10-12 people per campus per year.

I believe Ryerson has about 40 spots in their program, not sure how many applications they get. 

3 hours ago, HeatherCol said:

From what I've heard Laurier is the most competitive online MSW program to get into. I have heard from multiple people who have emailed the advisor directly about admission rates and been informed that the admission rate is 10% or lower, with average applicants holding 7+ years of experience. Here is one thread I could find with people talking about it, I'm sure if you dig in the gradcafe site or contact the admissions advisor directly you could get more info. And emailing admissions advisors for other schools to ask if they can share the acceptance rates with you may be a good strategy for figuring this kind of stuff out too. 

Edited by afk612

On 3/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, bettyWhite said:

Hey! So this was from two former students and someone from ryersons msw department mentioned how uoft throws money at hospitals. I get their cohorts are huge but it’s shady lol. That makes it more difficult for universities that don’t have enough funding to compete on the same level which puts them at a disadvantage. I will definitely explore Waterloo as an option. Thanks :) 

My Ryerson professor (who went to uoft) used to say this also but It felt like a deterrent to get some of us not to go. I also heard that from msw Sw who did their schooling elsewhere. Uoft is affiliated with many of the Toronto hospitals because they are also teaching hospitals and uoft is a clinical school. 

I agree with the advice given. Consider Waterloo because Ryerson is very social justice oriented and I have never seen someone get placed at a hospital there. 

Edited by mswCan2021

I am just responding to the inquiries about admissions and numbers in regard to MSW programs - a couple of connections I have at York (field placement coordinator, two tenure professors who review applications) shared with me that applications have substantially increased this year across the board (MSW and PhD applications) and the staff are associating it with the pandemic (e.g., job loss, upgrading, stay-at-home orders etc.)

Edited by tjo

@bettyWhite If you are set on a clinical practicum, I would definitely recommend choosing Waterloo. I was a Research Assistant for Ryerson's MSW last year and I can confirm that there are ZERO clinical placements with Ryerson's MSW. Moreover, they have zero clinically-focussed classes. 

On 3/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, bettyWhite said:

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to come online and vent a bit. I applied to three MSW programs - Waterloo, Ryerson and U of T. I was waitlisted for U of T and I'm kind of disappointed. Although I got into the other two schools and I am leaning toward Ryerson I was just told by the graduate office that U of T pretty much throws money at hospitals to secure placements for their students. I want to get into clinical work and work in a hospital setting so it's disappointing to know that other universities are at a disadvantage because U of T has a bigger budget - which is not only elitist but very unfair, which definitely is a contradiction to social work ethics. I'm surprised OCSWSSW doesn't intervene to level the playing field. Don't get me wrong I am so grateful to even be accepted into an MSW program but it's alarming to me that U of T can get away with monopolizing placement opportunities. 

3 hours ago, mswCan2021 said:

My Ryerson professor (who went to uoft) used to say this also but It felt like a deterrent to get some of us not to go. I also heard that from msw Sw who did their schooling elsewhere. Uoft is affiliated with many of the Toronto hospitals because they are also teaching hospitals and uoft is a clinical school. 

I agree with the advice given. Consider Waterloo because Ryerson is very social justice oriented and I have never seen someone get placed at a hospital there.