Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

7 minutes ago, CE_Shenanigans said:

I applied last year for uoft's MSW (2 year stream) and I found out I was waitlisted on April 1st. I remember reading this form last year with folks getting accepted mid-March and feeling totally bummed. Seems like it's about the same timeline this year (Order of acceptance goes: International students, 1 year then 2 year) Hang in there everyone♥️ 

Also, has anyone heard from the University of Windsor? 

I heard back from Windsor and I am on the waitlist. Not sure if they gave out their acceptances yet.

2 hours ago, cathySW said:

Same here, I did get an email notification, and I checked the SGS portal and found my acceptance! Congratulations to everyone!!

and hoping everyone hears soon :) 

Congrats!!! What stream did you get accepted for?

2 hours ago, cathySW said:

Same here, I did get an email notification, and I checked the SGS portal and found my acceptance! Congratulations to everyone!!

and hoping everyone hears soon :) 

Are you an international student? 

Anyone admitted to UofT gerontology? I’m seeing most are from the mental health stream. I got my acceptance this morning and so happy. Congrats to everyone and stay optimistic everyone still waiting.

21 minutes ago, HeatherCol said:

Has anyone else applied to UVIC's Advanced Standing MSW program? Anxiously awaiting a decision over here!

I applied to the Foundation 2-year program at UVIC and also anxiously awaiting a decision! Based on the forums from previous years, first week or two of March is when they send out decisions!!

2 hours ago, tjo said:

Same here! But Acorn is also blank for me. I applied to the 1-Year Social Justice stream.

Same here girl. I applied to that stream as well, and acorn is blank for me and SGS says under review. Hopefully we hear soon!

18 minutes ago, hopefulMSW21 said:

I applied to the Foundation 2-year program at UVIC and also anxiously awaiting a decision! Based on the forums from previous years, first week or two of March is when they send out decisions!!

Fingers crossed for both of us! Are you in BC as well? I finished my BSW at UVIC last spring and would love to continue there. 

4 hours ago, m.to said:

Congrats on getting in! This is my second year applying to u of t advanced standing mental health and health stream and it is looking as if I'm not getting in, I am wondering what you have done to enhance your application this year if you don't mind sharing? Dreading reapplying and going through all of this again aha

I totally get what you mean, the thought of reapplying is dreadful, it's such a gruelling process. I had applied multiple times to the two-year program without any success, so I decided to do a BSW first and try for the advanced standing. This was the best path in my opinion, it gave me a better foundation (I had been out of school for a couple of years so it was a good way to ease back into it), and it boosted my average by A LOT. 

But it sounds like you already have a BSW, so my only suggestion would be to pad it with more relevant experience. I only have research / practicum experience so nothing too field-intensive, but my experience aligned with the stream I applied for.

Also, I just feel lucky. It really depends on what they're looking for that year, the experience of other candidates, and probably a lot of factors we don't know. Don't feel discouraged and I hope you get into other programs (if you applied)! :) 

Hi guys,

Waiting on UofT 2-year and Laurier part-time online for September. 

I last applied to UofT in 2018 and received a response (waitlist) on March 26th 2019.

I took a year off from applying and this year my application had ~4500 hours of work experience (research assistant in various psychology labs, worked full-time in a clinic/lab for past 2.5 years and was able to do clinical/psychiatric assessments and code counselling sessions for treatment fidelity), ~1500 hours of volunteer experience (Kids Help Phone mostly for past 3 years), 1 research publication, 2 conferences/abstracts, a couple blog posts on a research/advocacy website, and several other manuscripts in progress. My GPA for the last 10 credits honestly wasn't great (~78%) so I went back and took a few courses as a non-degree student and got 4.0s - apparently they won't count into my GPA but hopefully they make an impact. I also put a lot of work into my personal statement and had one of the social workers at my current work review it, I talked a lot about my own experiences with mental health and tied it back to my work and volunteer history. 

The waiting game is so hard and I just want to find out the result either way lol. 

Edited by DD2021

5 minutes ago, HeatherCol said:

Fingers crossed for both of us! Are you in BC as well? I finished my BSW at UVIC last spring and would love to continue there. 

Yes fingers and toes crossed for us both haha! I am actually in Ontario, completing an HBSc at UofT in Psychology and Medical Anthropology! I also applied to the foundation programs at UNBC, UofT, King's, and York however I would love to pursue an MSW at UVIC as well :) 

1 hour ago, HeatherCol said:

Has anyone else applied to UVIC's Advanced Standing MSW program? Anxiously awaiting a decision over here!

Haven’t heard yet. However I am accepting another offer. Best of luck to you! I also did the BSW at UVic and had a great experience at the school.

Edited by JMW89

A question to those of you applying to UVic MSW - is working in social policy your primary interest? If not, do you know anyone who has graduated from the UVic MSW recently and has gone on to become a clinical social worker? 

I am asking because I too applied to UVic and would love the chance to live in such a beautiful city! However, after looking at the course offerings in the program they look more policy oriented than clinical. I am currently working in a social policy role and am hoping to switch over to working clinically as a social worker. I love the anti-colonial, anti-oppressive bent of the program but I am worried it won’t give me the clinical skills I am looking for. 

Edited by MacaroniGirl