Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

34 minutes ago, plantlady23 said:

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and have realized that corporate is not for me and I really want to go back to school to get my MSW. I was feeling great about that decision until reading this blog to realize how competitive the programs are (and how amazing all of you are!)

I was hoping for your perspectives on how realistic it might be for me to apply for a MSW in 2022. I went to school for business, have worked in Marketing, Analytics and now HR for a couple of years. My grades are okay (avg ~80%), I've been volunteering with Kids HelpPhone as a Crisis responder for about 2 years now (but only 4 hours a week), and recently started volunteering to call seniors. 

I think I can get pretty good references, but don't have any professional work experience. I was looking to apply at Windsor, Western, UBC-O, University of Manitoba, Carlton and Dal. I was hoping for your thoughts of if it's even worth applying?

Thanks for your help! And best of luck for 2021 admissions :)

I say give it a go! I did my BSW after already having a degree in Communications. I was just accepted into Waterloo's MSW program. I did my BSW at McGill and there was someone else in my cohort who had an undergrad and masters in biology, as well as their MBA. They also did a career change - was working in a pharmaceutical company (I think a rep) and had volunteer experience (a hotline pertaining to grief). So anything is possible! She was also accepted to do her MSW after her BSW. I know at one point, she wished she did a 2 year MSW (1 year foundation and 1 year MSW) vs 3 year BSW and then 1 year MSW. But you're able to get more clinical/practicum experience doing BSW. I also know of someone who graduated from a psych program at U of T, had some related volunteer experience (same help line as you I think), good grades, no work experience and was able to get into a 2 year MSW at Windsor. Doesn't hurt to try!

Good luck!

1 hour ago, plantlady23 said:

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and have realized that corporate is not for me and I really want to go back to school to get my MSW. I was feeling great about that decision until reading this blog to realize how competitive the programs are (and how amazing all of you are!)

I was hoping for your perspectives on how realistic it might be for me to apply for a MSW in 2022. I went to school for business, have worked in Marketing, Analytics and now HR for a couple of years. My grades are okay (avg ~80%), I've been volunteering with Kids HelpPhone as a Crisis responder for about 2 years now (but only 4 hours a week), and recently started volunteering to call seniors. 

I think I can get pretty good references, but don't have any professional work experience. I was looking to apply at Windsor, Western, UBC-O, University of Manitoba, Carlton and Dal. I was hoping for your thoughts of if it's even worth applying?

Hey! 3 things that already stand out are your experience working in HR, the crisis responder role (schools LOVE this since it's direct support to people in crisis), and the senior calls. To help strengthen your application, I'd strongly suggest partaking in online social work/mental health/addictions professional development courses. These are things that will sometimes provide you with a certificate upon completion free of charge, and show the application committee that you have knowledge and skills beyond your volunteering/professional roles. 

I'd suggest looking at the specific application process for each of those schools and weed out the ones that might highlight your "weaknesses" versus strengths. For example, Western makes you break down -- to the hour -- how much direct and indirect experience you have, and they appreciate both. This would give you the chance to highlight some of your less direct work that you've obtained over the years that is relevant but might not shine on other apps. 

Social work applications are incredibly comprehensive and your odds differ completely depending on the year. I think you have a good plan of action in applying to many schools for that reason. I might also suggest applying to a couple of college programs (social service worker, addictions and mental health, etc) to have a good, relevant backup.

All of this being said by a gal who isn't even in an MSW program (yet, hopefully!!), so take it with a grain of salt lol.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, plantlady23 said:

Hi everyone,

I say go for it!

I started at U of T when I was 17 and I had no idea what I wanted to do. I dropped out multiple times, had two kids and worked a variety of jobs. When I was 30 and my kids were a bit older I went back, changed my major and completed my degree. I applied for my MSW for fall of 2020 with a 4.0 GPA but not that much actual experience in the field and was waitlisted. I've spent the last year gaining more experience in the field both volunteer and paid to hopefully tip the scales.

I think as long as your grades are decent I would focus on acquiring as much experience in the field as possible (whether through volunteer or paid work). I noted in my application that volunteering is a privilege not afforded to everyone. If you can get in as a volunteer reseatch assistant somewhere that could also be beneficial....I've made some good contacts through various research opportunities. 

I also believe that there is some luck involved as far as getting in. Whether you acquire your MSW or not just know that there are a ton of different programs and avenues you can still pursue to work successfully in the field! Good luck ?

7 minutes ago, olivolia said:

I was just accepted to Westerns 2 year MSW! I was originally on the wait list and found out about 25 min ago that I am in :)

Congratulations! Did you find out via email or their student centre? Also did you receive your wait list offer in the beginning of March? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just currently on the waitlist and eagerly awaiting to see if I will get off  

Just now, jessjae2021 said:

Congratulations! Did you find out via email or their student centre? Also did you receive your wait list offer in the beginning of March? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just currently on the waitlist and eagerly awaiting to see if I will get off  

I got an email and student center updated! I got my wait list offer on March 5th!

Definitely be hopeful :) I heard the first round of wait list almost always moves to a spot!! 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:25 AM, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Thanks so much for this, your perspective is super helpful! I think maybe clinical skills wasn't the right wording. While I have a decent amount of experience that could be considered human services/social work related, I think I could benefit from the BSW practicums, to get more direct experience and have a better general baseline. I think I'm also someone who wouldn't mind a break b/w BSW & MSW if I don't get in - I feel like I'll have done a lot of years of postsecondary by that point. Realistically at this point I just have to wait and see what happens - at least if I don't get into any MSWs I've made peace with the BSW route already!

Yes, that's great that you're open to both routes! 

One more thing I thought of on this... one thing I appreciate about having taken the BSW then advanced MSW route myself is that I will have the opportunity to learn at two different schools, and therefore under two different styles of social work pedagogy. For example, I was at UVic for my BSW which is very anti-oppressive/ critical social work focused, and I will probably be going to an MSW program which is more clinically focused and kind of at the other end of the spectrum. I don't think it would have been possible to get that kind of variety in what I'm learning in a 2 year MSW program.

Best of luck with whatever route you take!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, JMW89 said:

I know UBC Vancouver isn’t talked much about here, but I got an offer for the Advanced program today. Just for anyone who applied & is wondering 

May I ask how long they gave you to accept/ decline your UBC offer?

I still haven't heard back and the admissions coordinator told me that "first round" decisions went out in the past two weeks... Which makes me think that the second round may go out after the accept/ decline deadline has passed for those in the first round. And I am super eager to get an idea of when that might be! TIA

27 minutes ago, afk612 said:

May I ask how long they gave you to accept/ decline your UBC offer?

I still haven't heard back and the admissions coordinator told me that "first round" decisions went out in the past two weeks... Which makes me think that the second round may go out after the accept/ decline deadline has passed for those in the first round. And I am super eager to get an idea of when that might be! TIA

For me it was April 2. I know that if a student is offered admission but the school needs additional documents (for example official copies of transcripts), they will give you a longer grace period so you have time to give them whatever they need. I would guess sometime first week of April? Wishing you the very best :) 

5 minutes ago, JMW89 said:

For me it was April 2. I know that if a student is offered admission but the school needs additional documents (for example official copies of transcripts), they will give you a longer grace period so you have time to give them whatever they need. I would guess sometime first week of April? Wishing you the very best :) 

Thanks so much for the info!

Wishing you the best in whatever path you choose as well :)

I have to accept or decline my uWindsor two-year offer by Monday. I was hoping to hear back from UofT before then so that I could take time to weigh my options, but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen! I wonder if any decisions will come out over the weekend or if decisions only come out on business days. I'm definitely going to be checking Acorn/SGS all weekend anyways haha. Anyone else also facing expiring offers before hearing from other schools? 

15 minutes ago, amesyall said:

I have to accept or decline my uWindsor two-year offer by Monday. I was hoping to hear back from UofT before then so that I could take time to weigh my options, but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen! I wonder if any decisions will come out over the weekend or if decisions only come out on business days. I'm definitely going to be checking Acorn/SGS all weekend anyways haha. Anyone else also facing expiring offers before hearing from other schools? 

Yes, I'm in the same boat as you! My uWindsor 2-year offer expires on April 1, so I too have to make a decision by then. I am waiting for UofT, York, and Laurier still but I guess their responses will be coming in after April 1. ?

2 minutes ago, Lulu21 said:

Just checked my file and received my acceptance from York. I can’t seem to find the admissions letter it self. Does anyone who got accepted find it ? Thanks and good luck to everyone 

Congrats!! This was for the advanced standing program right?

3 minutes ago, Lulu21 said:

Just checked my file and received my acceptance from York. I can’t seem to find the admissions letter it self. Does anyone who got accepted find it ? Thanks and good luck to everyone 

I emailed admissions and they say the letter Will be on my file shortly after the status changes