Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Just now, 1996Msw2021 said:

Do they just keep you waiting instead of actually establishing a wait list? Or is there also a wait list? 

Yeah I’m wondering that too. Like on their page it says they review results and “continue until the program is full” which makes it seem like they have some form of list, wish we could know more. 

Just now, 1996Msw2021 said:

Do they just keep you waiting instead of actually establishing a wait list? Or is there also a wait list? 

They don't have an established wait list as far as I know. I've never heard of anyone being wait listed by York. So perhaps if one is not rejected right away and all acceptances have gone out, one can assume they are on the waitlist. It would be nice if they communicated this to applicants 

7 minutes ago, patientlywaitinggg said:

Yes last year for York 2 year I didn’t hear anything until June 15th, when they told me that I didn’t receive an offer of admission. So hoping it’s not like that again!

York rolls out their admissions in “waves” the first wave has a better chance of getting in. Once people make a decision in the first wave they move on to the second wave of people. This is what I was told my admissions when they called me. Stay as positive as you can, I know this is a stressful time but nobody need to be beating themselves up about it. If it’s not meant to be then people get a chance to gain work experience or volunteering done while applying for next year.

13 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Just saw my rejection from York on Myfile! So happy to at least know now, the odds weren’t great haha

So sorry to hear that but thank you for sharing!

Just wanted to know, did you get an email about this or did you just happen to check Myfile for this? Wondering if I should be constantly checking MyFile today or not...

2 minutes ago, Lulu21 said:

At least you know now and can plan for the future. Hopefully you get in at another school or next year. 

Yes exactly! Thank you. I was accepted to the 2-year program at Carleton last month which is more closely aligned with my career aspirations in clinical social work so it’s all good. Best of luck to you as well!! 

13 minutes ago, thatcoffeelover said:

So sorry to hear that but thank you for sharing!

Just wanted to know, did you get an email about this or did you just happen to check Myfile for this? Wondering if I should be constantly checking MyFile today or not...

I saw it on Myfile! I haven’t received an email yet

Edited by MacaroniGirl

Also in reference to the 1 known person who was rejected, maybe they hadn’t submitted all their files on time or there was an issue with their application? Because I can’t understand how they would just send out 1 decision and have all other applicants waiting days/weeks. 

2 hours ago, 1996Msw2021 said:

This is exactly what they do. They put out offers of admission, and maybe reject a few people here and there. Otherwise everyone else is left in limbo on their ‘unannounced wait-list’. 
I’ve never applied to York but I think this method is torturous. 

Hi everyone! I'm also waiting to hear back from U of T 2 year program but have been accepted to UBC Okanagan and the deadline to accept is April 14th... if closer to that date I still haven't heard back from U of T would I be able to accept UBC, and then later decline if I were to hear back that I was accepted to U of T? U of T is my top choice so if I was accepted, I would choose there instead. 

Hey guys! 

Like many of you, I've been constantly refreshing this forum and my SGS portal for the UofT 2-year MSW program. I was waitlisted 2 years ago but then removed my name from the list to take a full-time job at Sunnybrook. It's been really tough waiting as I have received an offer to Ryerson (MA Psychology), and the deadline to accept is April 15th. I just e-mailed Angela telling her my situation and hoping she'd give me more insight about admission but she replied with the same copy and paste e-mail about mid-April LOL (you just have to laugh). Anyway, I hope we hear some news soon! Feeling so very confused about what it is that I want to do as a career and I don't have too much time on my hands. Praying we don't have to wait until next week..

Edited by xtrahotlatte

3 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

Hi All!

Long time viewer- first time posting :) I applied to the two year MSW program at UofT so I FEEL your pain (I used to live right around the corner from the SW building so I'd wave to it and just manifest my energy haha). I don't have a degree in SW but i'm in my last year studying a related field. I also applied to yorkville for the MACP program but judging by how much money it is i'm not really interested in moving forward with that.. so all my eggs are in one basket- it's a lot less selection not having a BSW background. Fingers crossed for us all! you have all been making me smile the last few days I feel like we're all in this together.

To pass the time, I have been going on trail walks and baking lots. I feel stressed out and on edge ALL the time.. I had hope thinking that we'd here about the 2 year program a couple days ago.. fingers crossed for this week, no news is good news since no one has heard! hang in there folks 

Can I just say your post radiated such great energy ?  Honestly, everyone in this forum gives off social worker vibes so I have all the faith in each and every one of y'all ❤️

1 hour ago, mdsnmm said:

Hi everyone! I'm also waiting to hear back from U of T 2 year program but have been accepted to UBC Okanagan and the deadline to accept is April 14th... if closer to that date I still haven't heard back from U of T would I be able to accept UBC, and then later decline if I were to hear back that I was accepted to U of T? U of T is my top choice so if I was accepted, I would choose there instead. 

You can definitely change your mind. You’re not locked in at all. I initially accepted the offer to Dal, then got accepted to UBC (Vancouver), and changed my mind. I just emailed Dal saying I changed my decision and would no longer be attending. I just lost my deposit, it was no issue.

31 minutes ago, matty16 said:

Hey everyone! Our time is near :)

Does anyone have any idea how many people were given a spot last year for UofT's 2 year MSW?

When I was wailisted the letter stated that they accepted 130) and I believe there were 700 or 900 total applications (I can't remember which one sorry!) :) 

Edited by Kal008

I think for anyone who has an offer that’s about to expire but is still waiting for another offer, it’s best to accept the first offer just to be safe. I got Ryerson’s offer beginning of March and accepted it because it was about to expire and now I got an offer from York I’m accepting. There’s definitely no penalty for rejecting an offer after accepting it, you just email the school to let them know!

7 minutes ago, MSWQuestions said:

I think for anyone who has an offer that’s about to expire but is still waiting for another offer, it’s best to accept the first offer just to be safe. I got Ryerson’s offer beginning of March and accepted it because it was about to expire and now I got an offer from York I’m accepting. There’s definitely no penalty for rejecting an offer after accepting it, you just email the school to let them know!

Did you get an offer from York’s 2 year or advance standing?