Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone else has heard back from Laurier’s online advanced standing MSW for September 2021 start? I vaguely remember reading something about May 2021 being the decisions month but can’t find that anywhere anymore. Good luck to everyone that applied! For reference I have 10 years BSW experience working in mainly hospitals/mental health but have a very low GPA (barely 69%). Studied my last 2 years in Australia and grading there is very different so the advisor said to still apply because my GPA might be considered higher when translated to canadian GPA. So really who knows what’s going to happen?!?

9 hours ago, VictoriaMSWhopeful said:

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone else has heard back from Laurier’s online advanced standing MSW for September 2021 start? I vaguely remember reading something about May 2021 being the decisions month but can’t find that anywhere anymore. Good luck to everyone that applied! For reference I have 10 years BSW experience working in mainly hospitals/mental health but have a very low GPA (barely 69%). Studied my last 2 years in Australia and grading there is very different so the advisor said to still apply because my GPA might be considered higher when translated to canadian GPA. So really who knows what’s going to happen?!?

Looks like they've already updated their site for next year, but they do say May for 2022 Fall online decisions, so you're probably right about it being May this year as well!

https://www.wlu.ca/programs/social-work/graduate/social-work-msw/application-checklist/index.html

Just now, ChipDip said:

Last week people were saying that from previous experience it could change at 9am, 6pm, and anywhere in between. Sorry I can’t be more helpful!

Thanks for this! I also just figured out how to see what time things were posted. Looks like last year was around 9pm on a Sunday. Why're they like thissssss

Just now, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Thanks for this! I also just figured out how to see what time things were posted. Looks like last year was around 9pm on a Sunday. Why're they like thissssss

9pm on a Sunday!?! Omg. I’m also curious about when Laurier sends their stuff out..at this point it could be any day and any time

2 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

9pm on a Sunday!?! Omg. I’m also curious about when Laurier sends their stuff out..at this point it could be any day and any time

I emailed Laurier last week and their response for when to hear back was, "Decisions may be made earlier or later than expected". So the website does say the target month is April so I'm guessing that it could come any time and day in April or perhaps even after April.

Just now, thatcoffeelover said:

I emailed Laurier last week and their response for when to hear back was, "Decisions may be made earlier or later than expected". So the website does say the target month is April so I'm guessing that it could come any time and day in April or perhaps even after April.

How useless lmao

1 minute ago, thatcoffeelover said:

That’s helpful LOL thank you though for letting us know!

29 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

So, based on when people first posted in the forum in the last 3 years + this year's 1y (so only 7 data points), you're totally right about acorn. Earliest it came out was 9am, latest was 9pm, and all the others seemed pretty randomly in between. I'll probably go look into Laurier now ?

Edit: Hard to find it in the 2018 forum, but for 2019/20/21 it seems like they were all late afternoon (3-4pm) except for 2019 1y decisions which seems to have come out at around 10am. But again, these are just the first forum posts, and it seems like Laurier really drags their decisions out over the course of days.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

29 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

So, based on when people first posted in the forum in the last 3 years + this year's 1y (so only 7 data points), you're totally right about acorn. Earliest it came out was 9am, latest was 9pm, and all the others seemed pretty randomly in between. I'll probably go look into Laurier now ?

Edit: Hard to find it in the 2018 forum, but for 2019/20/21 it seems like they were all late afternoon (3-4pm) except for 2019 1y decisions which seems to have come out at around 10am. But again, these are just the first forum posts, and it seems like Laurier really drags their decisions out over the course of days.

Thank you for the update!

44 minutes ago, thatcoffeelover said:

On last year's forum, it seemed like Laurier sent out rejections on the 9th and acceptances on the 14th, but you never know!

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Do we have any idea what time of day acorn tends to change?

UofT office is open 9am-5pm so nothing before 9am or after 5pm.. I am only allowing myself to check at 12pm and 5pm now (instead of literally every hour). I almost feel like it'll be next week tbh :(

15 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

UofT office is open 9am-5pm so nothing before 9am or after 5pm.. I am only allowing myself to check at 12pm and 5pm now (instead of literally every hour). I almost feel like it'll be next week tbh :(

They don't seem to go by office hours, last year ACORN was updated at 9pm on a Sunday. They really have no predictability it seems 

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any insights on which MSW programs are the considered the most well rounded? I have read through all of the posts here and some of you mention particular programs being known for their micro/clinical emphasis. I also read through a forum for the 2018 application year and others mentioned York's program being more focused on macro social work and structural perspective. Does anyone have any insight on if any of the programs strike a balance on their approach being micro and macro? As well has anyone talked to current or past students of any programs? Did they like their experience? Sorry if these questions are a bit jumbled, it is starting to get late here. I hope you all are keeping well and thanks for contributing so much to this forum, it's very helpful ?

I wonder when the schools would announce if they are going back to in-person learning...My guess for Ontario at least is that it would probably be online for the Fall and regular, in-person for the winter. Does anyone else have some insight on this? This uncertainty around the situation of being accepted or not is one thing, but if and when I would have to move to a new city and find a place is another anxiety-provoking aspect of this process.

24 minutes ago, MMSW said:

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any insights on which MSW programs are the considered the most well rounded? I have read through all of the posts here and some of you mention particular programs being known for their micro/clinical emphasis. I also read through a forum for the 2018 application year and others mentioned York's program being more focused on macro social work and structural perspective. Does anyone have any insight on if any of the programs strike a balance on their approach being micro and macro? As well has anyone talked to current or past students of any programs? Did they like their experience? Sorry if these questions are a bit jumbled, it is starting to get late here. I hope you all are keeping well and thanks for contributing so much to this forum, it's very helpful ?

From what I have heard, Laurier offers a decent balance as you learn clinical skills, but they also take a social justice approach. I could be wrong though

6 minutes ago, Empathymatters said:

I wonder when the schools would announce if they are going back to in-person learning...My guess for Ontario at least is that it would probably be online for the Fall and regular, in-person for the winter. Does anyone else have some insight on this? This uncertainty around the situation of being accepted or not is one thing, but if and when I would have to move to a new city and find a place is another anxiety-provoking aspect of this process.

I go to Laurier right now and they have sent emails out that they are planning on returning back to campus in the fall. I am assuming that would mean the faculty of social work as well.

7 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

From what I have heard, Laurier offers a decent balance as you learn clinical skills, but they also take a social justice approach. I could be wrong though

I see. I didn't apply to that program, but maybe I will read over their course structure and compare it to the other schools I applied to. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Looks like they've already updated their site for next year, but they do say May for 2022 Fall online decisions, so you're probably right about it being May this year as well!

https://www.wlu.ca/programs/social-work/graduate/social-work-msw/application-checklist/index.html

I called WLU today and they’ve said admission decisions for the online Msw program will be end of May/early June!

9 hours ago, Empathymatters said:

I'm also curious what peoples thoughts are for the possibility of in-person learning for September. I know there were some articles written that the universities in Ontario were hoping to have more of an in-person presence on campus for the fall but with things constantly evolving I'm curious what peoples thoughts are