Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Just now, amesyall said:

My dad and I made a friendly wager on when decisions will go out. He wagered that yesterday would be the day, so now I get a Starbucks coffee. What drink should I get folks? ?

Omg I love this for you! It's cold brew seasonnnnnn I'm a former barista and my vote is totally for vanilla sweet cream cold brew LOL

37 minutes ago, amesyall said:

My dad and I made a friendly wager on when decisions will go out. He wagered that yesterday would be the day, so now I get a Starbucks coffee. What drink should I get folks? ?

Whatever you order, go for the venti LOL

If no one starts hearing back today, would it be safe to assume they may not start until next week? It seems they need at least 5 days to send out all their acceptances/rejections/waitlist and I can't see them starting on a Thursday and continuing on Monday. Although nothing seems to make sense this year so who knows! 

Edited by Kal008

4 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

If no one starts hearing back today, would it be safe to assume they may not start until next week? It seems they need at least 5 days to send out all their acceptances/rejections/waitlist and I can't see them starting on a Thursday and continuing on Monday. Although nothing seems to make sense this year so who knows! 

I feel like it's still very possible for it to go out on a Thursday or a Friday unless it is a holiday.

5 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Like you said, who knows! But they do seem to start earlier in the week - I think it's usually been Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed. Wouldn't be surprised if they keep people waiting though

1 minute ago, lgoose said:

Has anyone been brave enough to reach out to Laurier and ask for an update? It is taking all of my patience not to bombard all of these poor admissions coordinators. 

My friend heard back from Laurier last year on April 15th (2 year). So I don’t think they’re running late yet or anything! 

1 minute ago, lgoose said:

Has anyone been brave enough to reach out to Laurier and ask for an update? It is taking all of my patience not to bombard all of these poor admissions coordinators. 

Someone posted a little while back that they emailed and it was no use. I doubt they are even picking up phone calls. Their target month is April, but I guess that means it could literally be any time this month or even next month.

4 minutes ago, lgoose said:

1 minute ago, Odyssey417 said:

Someone posted a little while back that they emailed and it was no use. I doubt they are even picking up phone calls. Their target month is April, but I guess that means it could literally be any time this month or even next month.

Yeah, Laurier admissions never offers any information that can't be found on the website. Last year I got my rejection on the 10th, so I would work under the assumption that we probably won't hear anything until at least next week. It's probably safest to even assume that admissions decisions will go out towards the end of the month.

3 minutes ago, soph.tc said:

My friend heard back from Laurier last year on April 15th (2 year). So I don’t think they’re running late yet or anything! 

I figured since it says "April" for target date it was more likely mid-month. Just wishful thinking that they'll let us know early.... ?

Just now, patientlywaiting98 said:

Nah this is so fucked. I can't believe UofT is really doing us like this

As a former U of T student......not surprised. Their response to mental health crises and to the multiple deaths by suicide on campus has made it blatantly obvious that student and professor well being will never be their priority.  

My logic with UofT is that when they give a time frame, they always give themselves more time then needed just in case. So they say mid-April (lets say that's April 15th) next Thursday, but I don't see it coming right on the time frame. Its either coming this week or early next week. This week makes the most sense to give more room for error on their side. But this just all makes me feel better that its hopefully today LOL. 

10 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Yeah, Laurier admissions never offers any information that can't be found on the website. Last year I got my rejection on the 10th, so I would work under the assumption that we probably won't hear anything until at least next week. It's probably safest to even assume that admissions decisions will go out towards the end of the month.

Yeah, I'm seconding this - I really don't expect them to go out before the end of the month. 1y decisions this year were much later than usual, and the email that the person shared honestly made it seem like it could even be into May this year.

15 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

My logic with UofT is that when they give a time frame, they always give themselves more time then needed just in case. So they say mid-April (lets say that's April 15th) next Thursday, but I don't see it coming right on the time frame. Its either coming this week or early next week. This week makes the most sense to give more room for error on their side. But this just all makes me feel better that its hopefully today LOL. 

They've always given mid April as the time when they send out results, but they're sending them out way later this year than in previous years. 

9 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Yeah, I'm seconding this - I really don't expect them to go out before the end of the month. 1y decisions this year were much later than usual, and the email that the person shared honestly made it seem like it could even be into May this year.

Boy, I sure hope it doesn't go into May... I have a couple offers of admission from backups that are due May 1 and I would really hate to accept one and then get into Laurier a few days later, lol.

They did require that we submit our applications for the 2 year substantially earlier, so I wonder if that will impact the difference between when 1-year and 2-year decisions go out. Normally the advanced standing program must apply by Dec 1 and the regular track by Jan 15; this time both were due Dec 1.

I would still strongly encourage to anticipate later-April decisions, but hopefully the change in application deadline means that the two tracks won't be spaced as far apart as usual.

6 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

They've always given mid April as the time when they send out results, but they're sending them out way later this year than in previous years. 

I wish there could be more transparency in this process. It would be nice if U of T could tell us If something went wrong or there are too many apps to process quickly. Even just being able to talk to a human on the phone would be amazing. The unpredictability is quite discouraging.

Edited by MacaroniGirl

Just now, MacaroniGirl said:

I wish there could be more transparency in this process. If something went wrong or there are too many apps to process quickly that is fine but I would just love to know. Even just being able to talk to a human on the phone would be amazing. 

The problem is that admissions handles more than just the MSW program and they only have so many people on staff. If they gave out up-to-date information to everyone who inquires, they would spend all day answering thousands of emails and it would push back their productivity even more. Telling people the same generic boilerplate stuff saves them a ton of time even if its frustrating for the people who want to know.

4 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Boy, I sure hope it doesn't go into May... I have a couple offers of admission from backups that are due May 1 and I would really hate to accept one and then get into Laurier a few days later, lol.

They did require that we submit our applications for the 2 year substantially earlier, so I wonder if that will impact the difference between when 1-year and 2-year decisions go out. Normally the advanced standing program must apply by Dec 1 and the regular track by Jan 15; this time both were due Dec 1.

I would still strongly encourage to anticipate later-April decisions, but hopefully the change in application deadline means that the two tracks won't be spaced as far apart as usual.

Thanks so much for this! All of the digging in past forums I've done and I didn't realize the 2y deadline was earlier this year, that's great news.

I wish York would just reject me and put me out of my misery already ?

The silver lining of kids schools closing yesterday is my household is so busy right now that I don't have as much time to sit, mull and refresh!

Hope everyone is doing well despite the immense frustration and anxiety that waiting for these decisions has caused ?