Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

12 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

So from what ive heard about 2 year programs, UofT tends to be one of the most clinical focused, whereas somewhere like York has a reputation for being a lot more theory focused. Other programs tend to fall somewhere in between. No matter where you end up though, you can always pursue further courses/training specific to counselling afterwards

Thank you! Do you know the difference between Clinical and Direct Practice?? I know Kings/Western is a "direct practice" and it's one I got accepted into! 

1 hour ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

First of all, congrats! Just curious - does your admission letter say how many people applied vs how many spots there were this year?

No it didn’t! But I was waitlisted last year and they shared that information. Maybe they’ll share it with those waitlisted this yet? 

3 minutes ago, 1996Msw2021 said:

Also for those who accepted their advanced standing at uoft. Did you print it out and mail it to them or did you sign it online? Some help would be appropriated ?

Signed it and scanned it and emailed it back to them

25 minutes ago, girlwithecurls said:

Thank you! Do you know the difference between Clinical and Direct Practice?? I know Kings/Western is a "direct practice" and it's one I got accepted into! 

Kings is more so general social work. You can take I think 1-2 elective courses that focus on mental health, trauma etc. That is kind of more “clinical”. Overall though, the program is not known to be clinical at all.

like the other person said, at the end of the day you can register with the college and that automatically gives you the opportunity to be able to do counselling. You may need extra workshops, or training opportunities in the clinical aspect. Either way, most people work somewhere like the hospital before going into something like private counselling, so you’d get experience there!

As decisions roll out, please be mindful of your thinking patterns. It can be so easy to tie all of your worth to a decision that is now out of your control, so please remember to practice self care. Your worth is not defined by this decision. Each and every one of y'all in this forum will become outstanding professionals in the field regardless of what decision you receive in the coming days/weeks. Please take care of yourselves. ❤️

1 hour ago, girlwithecurls said:

Also, anyone know which program is best for people who want to later pursue counselling? Does any school have an advantage over the other for this type of thing or are they all generally equal? 

Part of this has to do with your personal values and approach to counselling. For example, just because a school is more clinically focused, it doesn't mean it will mesh with a holistic/integrative counselling hopeful's ideas about what effective counselling looks like or the values that a counsellor should bring to their practice. By the same token, an anti-oppressive and social justice-oriented program may not offer you the same kind of exposure to the DSM5, if that's what you're craving. In either case, you'll end up feeling ill-prepared upon graduation.

As others have said, there's lots of specific counselling training and development available outside of the MSW to flesh out your "practical skills". In fact, you'll want to pursue at least some of these extra training opportunities to become certified in specific therapies like CBT, DBT, ACT, EMDR, etc. There's enough burnout in this line of work as it is, so it's important for you to understand who you want to be as a counsellor so that you can pick a program that aligns with the values and practices you want to bring to your work overall.

1 minute ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Has anyone else heard? 

Not I.....? This is going to be a painfully long day or two so I've decided i'm going to TRY not checking at all until later this evening. My poor kids have to deal with me until then ?

8 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Has anyone else heard? 

no :(  but trying to be realistic knowing that people with B and C last names have not heard yet and my last name is G... also realizing that I can only control so much I think that is helpful to keep in mind during this process.. congrats to those who have heard ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, Sofiaofspace said:

I just got accepted to u of t 2 year! Last name starts with B so I do think its alphabetical! Just crying at work casually lol

Oo we could be entering the B's now. I'm a C so maybe it is alphabetically.