Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

8 minutes ago, Jamithy said:

Does anyone know of MSW programs in Canada that don’t require a BSW and allow you to study part time and online?? I only know of Laurier.

Dal and Carleton are some other one's without a BSW but they are not online sadly :(

Edited by teaandSW21

14 minutes ago, icedmatchalatte said:

Just got waitlisted for the UofT 2 year MSW. This is my second year getting waitlisted and honestly, I'm hurt and surprised at the decision. I have almost exactly the same grade/amount of experience as someone who got in. I understand it's a lot of work for them to give individual feedback, but I really wish I knew what could've made the difference between me getting in or getting waitlisted.

Yeah, its frustrating to not know what it is you can improve upon, or if it was entirely subjective and had more to do with "luck of the draw" when it came to who was reviewing the file. Sometimes it really is just whose hands your particular application was in, what they like in a candidate, and what they think of your writing style. Sometimes it's got something to do with how they're rounding out the program (i.e., you don't want a cohort that's nothing but therapists or seniors-focused). But yeah, it would be so helpful to know if you were specifically lacking something fixable or if it was a general try-again-next-year.

1 minute ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Yeah, its frustrating to not know what it is you can improve upon, or if it was entirely subjective and had more to do with "luck of the draw" when it came to who was reviewing the file. Sometimes it really is just whose hands your particular application was in, what they like in a candidate, and what they think of your writing style. Sometimes it's got something to do with how they're rounding out the program (i.e., you don't want a cohort that's nothing but therapists or seniors-focused). But yeah, it would be so helpful to know if you were specifically lacking something fixable or if it was a general try-again-next-year.

Yup, I've actually talked a lot with my therapist and other social workers, and they all agree the process is very frustrating, exclusionary and can be arbitrary/subjective. I'm super happy for everyone who got in, but I wish there were more spots and they were kinder to people who, for example, can't volunteer as much because they need to earn money, or had a bad school year due to mental health, etc.

50 minutes ago, canmsw2021 said:

Has anyone here accepted their offer to Western? Just wondering if they've sent you any more information as my acceptance letter said they would send out more info in a couple weeks but that was like a month ago lol

I accepted and haven’t heard anything! All I’ve received is my two letters. 

1 hour ago, Bela88 said:

Yes I am in the same boat as you, I’m moving from Toronto as well. I believe there is one more person here who is going to UBCO. I will send you a private message. 

Hi! I'm also accepting UBCO! Let me know if you both make a fb group or anything :) I'd be happy to share my social media accounts to chat! 

1 hour ago, girlwithecurls said:

Last name A and got waitlisted at UofT 2 year MSW today around 4:30pm! I already accepted my previous offer at Western but am curious what is the likelihood of getting off the waitlist at UofT because if I do get in later i may reject my western offer? If anyone who was waitlisted for UofT MSW 2 year could like this comment please, I am curious to how many of us there are! 

Also congrats to those accepted that's soo amazing!! Just curious, what was your experience and final year avgs like? :) 

I am in the same position as you!! I was accepted to Western but really want to get off the waitlist and accepted to UofT!

Waitlisted UofT 2 year, last name H. This is the 3rd time being waitlisted, I'm not hopeful. I added over a year and a half of paid work experience in the field, and in progress doing a post-grad certificate, and still only waitlisted.

3 minutes ago, sofiahats said:

Waitlisted UofT 2 year, last name H. This is the 3rd time being waitlisted, I'm not hopeful. I added over a year and a half of paid work experience in the field, and in progress doing a post-grad certificate, and still only waitlisted.

I'm so sorry :(

Are you at Humber? 

3 hours ago, hopefulMSW21 said:

Waitlisted at UofT (last name B), and rejected from UNBC - complete double whammy today lol 

Just out of curiosity, given that there were over 890 applicants for 140 spots at UofT - what are the chances of getting off the waitlist?? 

If it helps, I was waitlisted the last two years at UofT and ultimately got reject both times just after the beginning of September.

5 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Hello fellow classmate ;) This is my second time being waitlisted. Won't be pursuing this anymore 

Haha hello! I figured there had to be a few people from the program here! I'm tempted to stop too but for the career I want for myself, I have to keep at it. Motivation is not easy to keep after 3 waitlists though.

Just now, AlexaS said:

Has anyone with a last name starting with an S been put on the waitlist? I just want to hear anything at this point, it's so draining

It's totally draining. Just wanted to say last year I was waitlisted on April 2nd which was 4-5 days after most acceptances went out......not sure why they drag it out. Hang in there 

17 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

Hello fellow classmate ;) This is my second time being waitlisted. Won't be pursuing this anymore 

8 minutes ago, sofiahats said:

Haha hello! I figured there had to be a few people from the program here! I'm tempted to stop too but for the career I want for myself, I have to keep at it. Motivation is not easy to keep after 3 waitlists though.

I totally feel the frustration. Second time being waitlisted as well, but like sofia this is the only career I want to pursue so I have to keep at it! Best of luck to you both, I hope we get some good news

Just now, icedmatchalatte said:

I totally feel the frustration. Second time being waitlisted as well, but like sofia this is the only career I want to pursue so I have to keep at it! Best of luck to you both, I hope we get some good news

Best of luck to you. I'm 34 and I have two children so I don't know that I can justify switching back to only working part time for two years once I start working fulltime again in September. At this rate my daughter and I will be in University at the same time ? Maybe once I've fully processed i'll change my mind. Hope you hear some good news over the coming months. 

6 minutes ago, icedmatchalatte said:

Same to you! Hopefully, we'll all get some good news before the start of the school year.

54 minutes ago, sofiahats said:

Have you tried to have someone look over your application who is either a professor in the program or reached out to U of T? Right now is a busy time, but in the summer you could reach out to them for advice. 

It is also very helpful to talk to professors who teach in the program!