Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

1 minute ago, Bela88 said:

Hi all, I got into Laurier 2 year in person MSW but I am declining it as I’m going to UBCO. Hopefully it opens up a spot for someone. Good luck everyone! 

Thanks for the update!! Can you share your initial? 

18 minutes ago, Bela88 said:

Hi all, I got into Laurier 2 year in person MSW but I am declining it as I’m going to UBCO. Hopefully it opens up a spot for someone. Good luck everyone! 

What time did you get the email? Congratulations though!

2 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

For those who were accepted into Laurier, did they happen to mention how many applicants there were and how many they accepted?

No, which is interesting because in my rejection letter last year they did list it. I wonder if they only put it in rejection letters, to give applicants a sense of perspective? Based on what they said at the info session, they have a target for accepting about 70 people, but I don't know if that changed at all with any deferrals from last year.

35 minutes ago, jessjae2021 said:

Is it fair to assume Laurier is done for the evening? And does anyone know how long this process usually drags out for? 

Looks like last year decisions came out from Apr.9th-Apr.16/17th, so this could be a long week. That being said, as we've seen with other schools, things can change drastically year-to-year in how they do things. Last year Laurier started with rejections and then started acceptances on the 13th and those came out over the course of a few days.

Edited by Waiting4AdmissionDecisions

I received offer letters to UBCO and Laurier and am trying to decide between the two. If anyone has any insight or pros and cons of the two programs that would be great to help me with the decision. Thanks!

Edited by MSW 2021

1 minute ago, MSW 2021 said:

@Bela88 Hey there, I also have received offer letters to UBCO and Laurier. I was wondering what made you decide to accept at UBCO? I am looking at the two programs and trying to compare them in order to make a decision. Any insight would be great!

Congrats for getting into both programs. I chose UBCO: 

As it ranks number 2 in Canada for social work. Not sure where Laurier ranks. I applied there as a backup honestly. 
UBCOs program focus is clinical which aligns with my goal. I wanna get into counselling in the future. 

The fee is around $5000 per year which isn’t bad. 
The class size is only 40 to 50 people which is great as you get to know your proffs better. 
Lastly I wanted a change from GTA and heard that the west coast  is beautiful and people are really friendly there. 
All the best and feel free to send me a direct message, happy to help! 

Just now, Bela88 said:

Congrats for getting into both programs. I chose UBCO: 

As it ranks number 2 in Canada for social work. Not sure where Laurier ranks. I applied there as a backup honestly. 
UBCOs program focus is clinical which aligns with my goal. I wanna get into counselling in the future. 

The fee is around $5000 per year which isn’t bad. 
The class size is only 40 to 50 people which is great as you get to know your proffs better. 
Lastly I wanted a change from GTA and heard that the west coast  is beautiful and people are really friendly there. 
All the best and feel free to send me a direct message, happy to help! 

Oh cool! I was wondering where you found rankings? I was looking for that when I first started thinking about applying but couldn't really find anything. Congrats on getting accepted to your first choice!

48 minutes ago, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Oh cool! I was wondering where you found rankings? I was looking for that when I first started thinking about applying but couldn't really find anything. Congrats on getting accepted to your first choice!

I looked at QS world university ranking. My first choice was UofT but I was waitlisted there. 
But honestly all MSW programs in Canada are competitive so if you get in anywhere be proud.
Also for people who didn’t get in this year or havnt heard back yet don’t let that define who you are. Just keep trying and your time will come! 

10 hours ago, Empathymatters said:

Guys.. I just received an email:

"Congratulations - you have been offered admission to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University, and we congratulate you on achieving this next step in your educational goals. Laurier offers a unique graduate experience, including the opportunity to pursue research and scholarly interests in a personalized environment that fosters a high standard of academic excellence." 

I was honestly surprised that they sent out my OGS rejection last week before my acceptance, I thought they would send it out the opposite way. But anyway, I am still pretty lucky to have gotten into the program! For those of you wondering, my last name starts with a C so it's probably going alphabetically. 

U of T is my first choice but I was waitlisted there. Does anyone have insight on Laurier's program compared to U of T?? Is it more or less clinically based or social justice oriented?

Congrats! Did you apply for the regular in person track? I applied for the online part time MSW for working professionals and am still waiting to hear back

Hey everyone! I am new to this page but I was accepted into the MSW program at Western/King's in early March. I am just hoping to connect with anyone who is also starting the program and see if there has been a Facebook group made yet. If so, could someone please send me the link? Thanks so much :) 

17 hours ago, Bela88 said:

Hi, not sure if you are already in it, but a group has been made for UBCO MSW students; its called "UBC-O MSW 2021 Cohort"