MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Just now, Niloosi said:

They asked me why graduate? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

and then asked me to talk about one of my works for 1 minute.

Then ask if I had any questions which I had 2. 
thats it

Thank you so much ? Best of luck and hoping you hear some good news!!!

3 minutes ago, Niloosi said:

Really?? i just had mine

and it was sooo friendly and nice

Yah it was so weird. What department did you interview for? I interviewed for photography and had two professors and one grad student and one professor was really grilling me most of the time and it was low key argumentative. I did not expect it at all

11 minutes ago, Reida said:

Has anyone interviewed/is interviewing for art/tech at Saic later?? Also anyone who has been interviewed at Saic today/in the past I would love to hear some of the questions that you were asked

I interviewed for photo but one of the questions I was asked that i didn't expect was which other schools I applied to and had to kind of defend why I applied to them in addition to SAIC. They mostly focused on one project I had submitted as part of my portfolio and asked a lot of really detailed questions about it and proposed hypotheticals and had me respond to them. Thats just for photo so idk what theyll ask for art/tech but Good Luck! Relax and you'll do great!

22 minutes ago, Gorg said:

Yah it was so weird. What department did you interview for? I interviewed for photography and had two professors and one grad student and one professor was really grilling me most of the time and it was low key argumentative. I did not expect it at all

I just had mine with print media and it went well. Super short, 20 minute interview.

At the print media mixer last night, some of the graduate students took a moment to chat with us without the professors. Some of them applied to both photo and print. They all had the same experience with the interview with the photography department, that it felt very much defensive and not supportive of their actual work.

Hope that gives you some piece of mind that it isn't just you, but that they do it to everyone allegedly.

17 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I just had mine with print media and it went well. Super short, 20 minute interview.

At the print media mixer last night, some of the graduate students took a moment to chat with us without the professors. Some of them applied to both photo and print. They all had the same experience with the interview with the photography department, that it felt very much defensive and not supportive of their actual work.

Hope that gives you some piece of mind that it isn't just you, but that they do it to everyone allegedly.

Oh wow, I had never heard that about SAIC before. Definitely puts my mind at ease. Do you happen to know if they were talking about if the department is just like that or if it is like that just for the interview?

29 minutes ago, Thursdayhasnofeel said:

so far I think they haven't even sent out interviews 

Someone on here private messaged me about getting a VCU sculpture interview. If anyone, like me, applied during the deadline extension then I don't think they'll even look at your application until after the first review.

5 minutes ago, katfude said:

Someone on here private messaged me about getting a VCU sculpture interview. If anyone, like me, applied during the deadline extension then I don't think they'll even look at your application until after the first review.

Dang, Guess Im not in this year lol 

I really dont know how my interview with SAIC painting went. Only one out of the two faculty members asked me most of the questions while the other seemed either completely uninterested or distracted. It made me really nervous and I had a hard time concentrating on my answers. It seemed they had not even read my statement or seen my work.
I did get a few student names to connect with, that’s the only “good” sign I think.
Kinda bummed.

Still excited to meet some of you in the student mixer later!

Edited by 3arabiyya
Accuracy

So I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on how much interviews matter depending on the school. My intuition is telling me that for some schools it is not so important, and they are basically just checking to see if you are nut. I say that because I really feel like I bombed my first two interviews and I still got acceptances. 
For Yale, it seems like the interview is way more important. They have a bunch of requirements and the whole process seems very serious. Perhaps some schools like Yale interview far more people than they are accepting and other schools just interview their first choices?  And if they have an awful feeling about a student, at that point they would reach out to a second round of students to interview for that spot?  I don’t know if anyone has any clarity on how much the processes differ. It’s just my hunch that there is a lot of diversity and getting an interview gives you pretty widely different chances of acceptance depending on the school. 

1 hour ago, Scrambledmegs said:

So I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on how much interviews matter depending on the school. My intuition is telling me that for some schools it is not so important, and they are basically just checking to see if you are nut. I say that because I really feel like I bombed my first two interviews and I still got acceptances. 
For Yale, it seems like the interview is way more important. They have a bunch of requirements and the whole process seems very serious. Perhaps some schools like Yale interview far more people than they are accepting and other schools just interview their first choices?  And if they have an awful feeling about a student, at that point they would reach out to a second round of students to interview for that spot?  I don’t know if anyone has any clarity on how much the processes differ. It’s just my hunch that there is a lot of diversity and getting an interview gives you pretty widely different chances of acceptance depending on the school. 

I was thinking the same thing.. it's also interesting to see the vibe shift between the interview request email and the actual interview. In my first interview, the email request tone was VERY nonchalant and perky seeming to guarantee acceptance into the program.. so I thought it was just going to be a quick "make sure I know what art is/not nuts" situation, but then ended up being grilled by monotoned academics on my research priorities and it was a bit jarring. Just a heads up to everyone to be ready for anything!!