2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

Noticed someone post on the results page about UPenn. In case they are on this forum, I looked and historically it doesn't look like UPenn does interviews. I only saw one interview listed. 

Also, one of my LOR writers received a thank you note from UPenn letting them know they would have their decisions in February. No timeframe listed. 

Good luck 

18 hours ago, TheLifeofBrian said:

Noticed someone post on the results page about UPenn. In case they are on this forum, I looked and historically it doesn't look like UPenn does interviews. I only saw one interview listed. 

Also, one of my LOR writers received a thank you note from UPenn letting them know they would have their decisions in February. No timeframe listed. 

Good luck 

Cool! one of my recommenders also told me he got a thank you letter from UPENN.

Can't wait to hear back from them as it's my top choice :)

Good Luck!

On 2/2/2021 at 10:27 AM, jomo said:

Hey! Congrats! They said the “next few weeks” so maybe by mid February. Did you get interviewed by Dr Sharon? 

Thanks!

No, I had the interview with a different professor. Did you mention Dr. Sharon in your SOP?

I wonder how many students they will accept this year. I was told that there are several students who were accepted last year and could not join the class due to COVID-19 so they will be joining this fall instead. 

Anyways, I am happy that I've received an interview offer since it is one of my top choices. For now, I'm *impatiently* waiting to hear back from them.  

Edited by doctoralwannabe

Hey guys, I am still waiting on decisions roll out. Some said mid-feb while some said March and some said April! I am stressed and I am scared. 

I don’t want to get my expectations too high.

How is everyone doing? Really share your feelings!

Edited by Larik001

I was really excited about the program at University of Maryland, but I haven't heard anything. Someone posted on the results page that they were invited for an interview in mid-January, so I'm assuming that I have not been short listed. Would you recommend reaching out to the program director or the department? Would like to hear from you all! Sending positive vibes to everyone!! 

(Still waiting to hear from UPenn and Columbia!)

2 hours ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Thanks!

No, I had the interview with a different professor. Did you mention Dr. Sharon in your SOP?

I wonder how many students they will accept this year. I was told that there are several students who were accepted last year and could not join the class due to COVID-19 so they will be joining this fall instead. 

Anyways, I am happy that I've received an interview offer since it is one of my top choices. For now, I'm *impatiently* waiting to hear back from them.  

Interesting to hear that. Let’s hope for the best. I didn’t mention Sharon but I guess she was there since she’s the grad committee chair. I’ll keep you posted. It’s one of my top choice too :) 

2 hours ago, Larik001 said:

Hey guys, I am still waiting on decisions roll out. Some said mid-feb while some said March and some said April! I am stressed and I am scared. 

I don’t want to get my expectations too high.

How is everyone doing? Really share your feelings!

Stay strong. It’s too early. I’m keeping myself busy and trying to avoid this forum to reduce the anxieties. 

hoping for the best. 

1 hour ago, jen18 said:

I was really excited about the program at University of Maryland, but I haven't heard anything. Someone posted on the results page that they were invited for an interview in mid-January, so I'm assuming that I have not been short listed. Would you recommend reaching out to the program director or the department? Would like to hear from you all! Sending positive vibes to everyone!! 

I wouldn’t recommend that since it’s too early. So long as you haven’t received an explicit rejection, you still got a shot. I’m sure we will get decisions in the next two weeks. 

7 hours ago, jen18 said:

No, I don’t recommend reaching out. I would imagine that they’re receiving a ton of inquiries right now. It’s still early.

Seems we’re all in the UPenn boat. It isn’t my top choice, but are you really a Comms PhD candidate if you didn’t apply to UPenn? ? 

I heard from the director of my top program today (he responded back to a totally unrelated email I sent about legos weeks ago). He mentioned that they’re trying to get decisions out the latter-half of the month.

Last years’ results started rolling in on the first Thursday and Friday of the month (so essentially today and tomorrow). I had my hopes that I would know before next week. Oh well. I’ll continue playing the waiting game.

1 hour ago, MomoTodoroki said:

Seems we’re all in the UPenn boat. It isn’t my top choice, but are you really a Comms PhD candidate if you didn’t apply to UPenn? ? 

I heard from the director of my top program today (he responded back to a totally unrelated email I sent about legos weeks ago). He mentioned that they’re trying to get decisions out the latter-half of the month.

Last years’ results started rolling in on the first Thursday and Friday of the month (so essentially today and tomorrow). I had my hopes that I would know before next week. Oh well. I’ll continue playing the waiting game.

Cruising along with you there! Haha. 

Had the Temple interview today; they said I'd hear back within 1-2 weeks about an admissions decision.

1 hour ago, Larik001 said:

So, Cornell just emailed me and I did not make it. I had 50/50 feelings on this one. I still have 6 more to go. 

I hope it gets better from here

I also got that email! I feel the same and I have a couple options already and some with better fits for me. Keep your head up!

3 minutes ago, LCZ said:

I also got that email! I feel the same and I have a couple options already and some with better fits for me. Keep your head up!

You too! I had really low hopes on that one and few other ones but I am hopeful for the rest. I hope you hear good news soon!

27 minutes ago, NJGrad2025 said:

Update: I have an interview next week at Rutgers. Please send good vibes & any websites you use to help prepare for Ph.D. interviews. Thank you! ?

Questions/themes I prepped for after looking here and Googling a bit:

• Why this program?
  • How am I prepared for this program?
  • Prior research experience - explain what methods and findings
  • Proposed topic
    • Feasibility of research
    • Research questions
    • Logical basis & significance of research
    • Possible difficulties
  • Notes on POI's writings that I had interest in working with
  • What are my plans for the future?
  • What questions do I have about the program, school, or funding?

Hope this helps!

I just saw on the search results of this website that someone got accepted into Arizona state with full funding, it seems they replied to that person on January 31st, 2021. I emailed the department two days ago and they said that they are still going through applications and that i should hear a notification soon. 

I tried to locate the comment on the threads but its seems I cannot find it except on the SEARCH OUR GRADUATE SCHOOL ADMISSION RESULTS page. 

Does that mean the notification that I will receive is a rejection or they are still going through applications?

Edited by Larik001

I am still waiting to hear from Mizzou, Boulder, UPenn, and Nebraska. Has anyone heard a peep from these schools? What do y'all do to deal with impatience? I just want to make my decision and start planning since I will be moving this year.