School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

2 hours ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

To people waiting to hear from U of Washington, do you think we'll hear sometime this week, or March 19th like the original email said?

I'm hopeful that we will hear back before the 1st of March, since they told us mid-February during interviews. I really hope they notify us sometime this week though!

I believe they will release acceptances/rejections/waitlist decisions at the same time?

9 minutes ago, SchoolPsychProsp said:

I'm hopeful that we will hear back before the 1st of March, since they told us mid-February during interviews. I really hope they notify us sometime this week though!

I believe they will release acceptances/rejections/waitlist decisions at the same time?

I'm guessing they'll release them all at the same time too since they sent out interview rejections unlike most schools that just didn't notify people.

3 minutes ago, frazyfar said:

Hey there! I just heard this afternoon. Interview is on Friday, but I'm going to release my spot. I hope you heard too!

Hi! I did hear this afternoon as well. Thanks for the response. I currently live in Flagstaff, so I am glad to hear about the interview invite! 

18 hours ago, turtlet123 said:

I have an upcoming grad school interview and on the schedule there is a time slot for introduction and writing sample. Has anyone had a writing sample during an interview? What does it entail? 

I haven't had one but the topic might be a School Psychology scenario (if that's what you are applying to) that you may have to write about. I have heard of programs doing that but not many. Maybe you should reach out and ask the school what that entails because I would want to know. They may not give you exactly what you would be writing about but they may have some type of clarification on what it is, if that helps. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Psych98 said:

Has anyone been waitlisted at Wisconsin-Madison?

I still have not heard back. If they don't get back to me by Friday I think I might email my POI and ask if decisions have already been sent out. 

It's my number one choice but the longer it has been since interview day I have been liking my offer from Indiana U. 

I have had several conversations about funding and the program with my POI since the initial offer and the overall program seems heavily aligned with my career goals. My worry about Indiana is that I don't know about funding yet since the fellowships I was nominated for have not been decided. I also still need to interview for assistantships (at places around the campus) as they get posted. 

Hope you hear back soon!

On 2/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, isimsek said:

Has anyone heard from University of Nevada Las Vegas or Northern Arizona University? 

I am actually still waiting to hear back from UNLV for the Ed.S program!

18 hours ago, Schoolzy said:

I haven't had one but the topic might be a School Psychology scenario (if that's what you are applying to) that you may have to write about. I have heard of programs doing that but not many. Maybe you should reach out and ask the school what that entails because I would want to know. They may not give you exactly what you would be writing about but they may have some type of clarification on what it is, if that helps. Good luck! 

Thanks for your reply!!

I have an informal meeting tonight with current graduate students so I am planning on asking to get more information.

1 hour ago, turtlet123 said:

Thanks for your reply!!

I have an informal meeting tonight with current graduate students so I am planning on asking to get more information.

For one of the interviews I attended, there was a "writing sample" section that I was totally freaked out about. It ended up being a silly question (along the lines of "what would your super power be if you could have one?") that they said was just to get a sense of writing style. Not sure if yours will be more serious than that, but I wouldn't over think it too much!

Edited by lexi2003

10 minutes ago, lexi2003 said:

For one of the interviews I attended, there was a "writing sample" section that I was totally freaked out about. It ended up being a silly question (along the lines of "what would your super power be if you could have one?") that they said was just to get a sense of writing style. Not sure if yours will be more serious than that, but I wouldn't over think it too much!

Oh wow, that is great to hear! Hoping mine is similar. Thank you!! 

1 hour ago, coffeenpsych23 said:

Have you heard from Umass boston?

Not yet! I changed the color in my signature because I will be declining an offer if it is made. While I am still working out funding with my other offers I do not think UMass-Boston is a great fit for me. (Program length is longer, funding is low for an expensive area, research interests are not as close as OSU or IU)

I feel like this is more of a vent than an actual question... but how the hell do they make decisions on who to admit? I just had my first masters interview, and while I think I did well, I feel like they didn’t really provide an opportunity for me to show them why I’d be a great fit or what experiences have led me to become a school psychologist....

The interview had a section where the faculty talked for a while, then we did small group exercises with a student, got to ask students some questions, and then a 15 minute individual interview. I also know they’re interviewing around 45 people for 12 spots! 

15 minutes ago, Ashbee said:

I feel like this is more of a vent than an actual question... but how the hell do they make decisions on who to admit? I just had my first masters interview, and while I think I did well, I feel like they didn’t really provide an opportunity for me to show them why I’d be a great fit or what experiences have led me to become a school psychologist....

The interview had a section where the faculty talked for a while, then we did small group exercises with a student, got to ask students some questions, and then a 15 minute individual interview. I also know they’re interviewing around 45 people for 12 spots! 

It's so tough to be able go gauge exactly what they're looking for besides general "fit"! If you felt like you didn't get to say enough about why you'd be a good fit, you could always add a few sentences about it in your thank-you email. I did that for one program because I also didn't have a ton of 1-on-1 time with the Program Director.

1 hour ago, Ashbee said:

I am interviewing for different Ph.D. programs. Honestly, I know how you feel, especially with the short interviews. I felt like a few schools had their minds made up a bit before the interview. I know a lot of people say no they don't, but the short interviews gave me that same feeling, like how can you get to know me the best in a 20-minute interview while I also have to ask questions. However, I do know the decision is based on fit and not just the faculty. Also, the match between the program aims and philosophy is just as important. Your experience should shine in your application, so don't forget about that. When the school's philosophy and faculty, and not just one, fit you in some way, you'll have a higher chance of getting into the schools you chose. Also, you may even communicate better with different schools depending on your interest and that match. They go back to your application, so don't lose hope because I did right after some of my interviews, and I am shook that I've been accepted to four schools so far. Don't think about how short the interview was. You did your best, and I'm sure most students may have felt the same way. (I tried so hard to make this general in a way for both Master and Ph.d interviewees. I hope this helped in someway?)