Guest intstudent

best US cities without a car

7 hours ago, WilliG said:

I just returned from trip to Seattle, Washington. I found cheap flights and decided to explore this city.  I think it's easiest to live without car in this city. I think in the U.S., there are two categories of cities for carless travel. First, there are the larger, older U.S. cities like New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, and San Francisco, and second are cities such as Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and even Los Angeles, which have begun building or enhancing public transportation systems and bike lane networks in the last decade

FWIW, Los Angeles was established in 1781 (before Chicago), is the second largest city in the U.S., had an electric streetcar system three years before New York opened its subway system, and L.A. has been enhancing its public transit system since 1993.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, samiamslp said:

Does anyone know anything about living without a car in Milwaukee, Urbana-Champaign, or Memphis?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Champaign-Urbana, you probably need a car unless you live on campus or in downtown Champaign. Public transit is decent for a smaller city (by U.S. standards, at least), but I'd still recommend bringing a car.

Chicago is excellent without a car -- lots of buses, trains and car-sharing options. I moved here with a car and eventually got rid of it, because the transit system is so high quality. 

Which UC schools are the most accessible without a car? I'm specifically thinking of applying to UCLA and UC-Irvine this coming year, but wanted to get a sense of how realistic it would be for me to live there without having a car...

15 hours ago, anthrobserver said:

Which UC schools are the most accessible without a car? I'm specifically thinking of applying to UCLA and UC-Irvine this coming year, but wanted to get a sense of how realistic it would be for me to live there without having a car...

Depends on what you want to do in Irvine/OC. IIRC, there aren't any trains like LA. Buses are crappy in Irvine. Wanna go to Newport Beach from UCI? Takes the same time to get there if you rode a bike. 

UCLA and the surrounding areas (West LA, Santa Monica, Hollywood) are pretty accessible without a car though. Still a slog to get anywhere though (hope you're aware of the traffic down there). You'll be taking a bus and then transferring to the Metro Orange Line usually.

Edited by trollsloot

16 hours ago, anthrobserver said:

I grew up in Sacramento, so UC Davis for sure--even if you live in Sacramento. UC Berkeley as well for nearly all of the Bay.  For UCLA, not sure, but imagine it will depend on how close to campus you live and/or how close to a transit line.  Not sure about Irvine. 

Hello!! I have aspirations to attend grad school next Fall in Boston. I wanted to hear from other car-less folks what it is like to navigate that city (especially in the winter). I visited Boston this past summer and I did not have too much trouble navigating. 

On 12/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, futcounspsych said:

Hello!! I have aspirations to attend grad school next Fall in Boston. I wanted to hear from other car-less folks what it is like to navigate that city (especially in the winter). I visited Boston this past summer and I did not have too much trouble navigating. 

It is the same as the summer. The only trouble --and that was major!-- was during the historic winter with absurd accumulation of snow. The metro and the system in general is most probably the best in the US, but perhaps a bit poorer that most western European areas. People use the bike a lot here too, even in the winter. 

On 12/13/2018 at 11:27 PM, anthrobserver said:

Idk about any of the other UCs, but I’m currently completing my undergrad at UCI & have commuted to school by bus & train all 4 years. If I want to go off campus in Irvine, I’ll use the buses, & it works out fine.  The buses usually come every 1/2 hour - 1 hour, & the buses vary in which time they stop running. Also, UCI actually has their own free buses on campus, & they even have special ones that go to the Irvine Spectrum & the beach (I think these off-campus buses you pay for), but idk if grad students have to pay for these buses. Overall, I’ve gotten really used to public transport, so I do think it’s doable. Certainly, life would be easier with your own car, & perhaps the other UCs have better public transport. Hope that helped!

Who knows how many of them are just hanging around this forum, but worth a shot: People who have lived/are living car-free at Stanford: How do you get by? 

How useful do you find public transit?

How easy is it to get to/from a reasonably-priced grocery store?

How trapped do you feel in the Palo Alto bubble (and how do you deal)?

How often do you get out of the city - by public transit or by bumming rides off friends?

etc..

I am heavily considering accepting an offer from Stanford but am not a huge fan of Palo Alto. I also don't drive now and would like to keep that up in grad school, but as great as Stanford itself if, I imagine that Palo Alto gets real bubble-like if you don't have a car to escape now and then. Would love to hear perspective from people already getting by without a car.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, DevoLevo said:

I am heavily considering accepting an offer from Stanford but am not a huge fan of Palo Alto. I also don't drive now and would like to keep that up in grad school, but as great as Stanford itself if, I imagine that Palo Alto gets real bubble-like if you don't have a car to escape now and then. Would love to hear perspective from people already getting by without a car.

My sister went to Stanford for undergrad without a car. She got around just fine, but highly recommends investing in a bike at the very least just to get around campus. For any needs involving getting out of Palo Alto (or really campus) she relied on friends that had cars, sucked it up and Uber/Lyft’d, or if she had to, navigated the public transit system to get into town.