Vee

Since I stalk this forum, I thought I might as well contribute my info. Successful! Applied through school. 90% average, several minor undergraduate awards, two symposiums, grading gig. Will be attending the University of Western Ontario's Theory and Criticism program in September of 2012.

Edited by ProbisPateo

Congrats to all of those who were successful! I applied directly to SSHRC, and unfortunately did not get accepted, although I was "wait listed". Does any one know exactly what this might mean? Do I still have a shred of hope to hang onto? Or should I just stop torturing myself? LOL.Thanks and congrats again.

There is still hope. I know a guy who was put on the wait-list and ended up getting the award about 2 months later.

Odd that they haven't said that results were released on the SSHRC twitter page, yet are tweeting about other random stuff. I'm in Victoria BC and I imagine that my letter won't get here until Friday or early next week (though it would be super great if it got here sooner!) I've applied through a university and my only real concern is that my research topic is sex work and with that being controversial and very much not conservative that if there were cuts to the number of awards that I would be a good candidate for it based on topic alone (grades, references, etc. all very strong).

Odd that they haven't said that results were released on the SSHRC twitter page, yet are tweeting about other random stuff. I'm in Victoria BC and I imagine that my letter won't get here until Friday or early next week (though it would be super great if it got here sooner!) I've applied through a university and my only real concern is that my research topic is sex work and with that being controversial and very much not conservative that if there were cuts to the number of awards that I would be a good candidate for it based on topic alone (grades, references, etc. all very strong).

This is what made me question the results being disseminated in the first place. SSHRC has been regularly updating their twitter with result information.

I would, personally, not put too much stress on the relationship between topic and government. It seems that it has a lot to do with simply being forwarded by your University. I have yet to hear of anyone who has been unsuccessful after being forwarded.

Checked mailbox yesterday. I'm in Kingston. It was empty (I don't think we get a drop off on Monday though). Will check today. Anyone else in Ontario not get theirs? Also, anyone who was forwarded from their school get a rejection?

I really don't think that would be a reason to cut you out of the funding competition! What discipline are you in? I think it would really come down to your federal adjudication committee - remember that it's academics, not politicians, who evaluate your application. There are some disciplines that might tend to have some wonky and conservative members, but they'd still have to justify why they marked your application the way they did to a committee of their peers. If it gives you hope, one of my colleagues does research in this area and she has been very successful with awards.

We need more people doing research in this area, so I hope you get an award!

Recieved a nofitication in the mail today. It was mailed out May 17th. Successful!

Ps. I live in Ontario

In order to avoid Users thinking "why was it mailed on the 17th and I still haven't heard anything". The date on the letter is May 17th, however, the letters were post-marked on May 24th.

Okay, I'm getting worried. I just checked my mailbox and nothing! I'm in Ontario. On the one hand, I'm worried that this suggests that "rejection" letters come a little later than acceptance letters. On the other hand, I'm hoping that this is just the local mail not delivering to my box yet (i.e., there was no other mail in there). Are there other "via university" applicants out there - from Ontario - who haven't received anything yet? Please let me know! Ahhhh!

I just got news up here north of Toronto. So relieved--I was successful!

I'm an independent applicant.

Good luck to those still waiting; hang in there.

Congrats Vee!

It is definitely more difficult to get a SSHRC being an independent. Last year there were only 50 awarded and I can only assume that there were many more applications.

Received my letter today in Winnipeg.

Successful applicant

Forwarded by university

Entering second year

GPA - 4.3

Awards and Scholarships

Faculty Entrance scholarship

Students' Union scholarship

3 Faculty Awards

Manitoba Graduate Scholarship

Faculty Gold Medal Recipient

Publications

None

2 TA positions

Congrats to all and to those still waiting, hope you get good news soon.

Okay, I'm getting worried. I just checked my mailbox and nothing! I'm in Ontario. On the one hand, I'm worried that this suggests that "rejection" letters come a little later than acceptance letters. On the other hand, I'm hoping that this is just the local mail not delivering to my box yet (i.e., there was no other mail in there). Are there other "via university" applicants out there - from Ontario - who haven't received anything yet? Please let me know! Ahhhh!

I'm from Kingston as well and also haven't received my letter. I hope it gets here tomorrow because I'm tired of waiting! Oh, I was also forwarded by a university.

Hey Spinrah, I just got an e-mail from my university telling me that I was successful, perhaps you should try and contact the university you applied through. I am also in BC and from what I understand they have a website which notifies them when their applicants are chosen. It might be worth a shot? Good luck!!

Nothing in Edmonton today. I'm a direct applicant, So I'm waiting for a rejection.

I'm in Edmonton too. I was really hoping for today... but I guess another day of mailbox stalking is in order for tomorrow.

And no rejection talk! Keep those hopes high!

Hey Spinrah, I just got an e-mail from my university telling me that I was successful, perhaps you should try and contact the university you applied through. I am also in BC and from what I understand they have a website which notifies them when their applicants are chosen. It might be worth a shot? Good luck!!

Thanks edm88, did you hear from your area's department or from your school's graduate department?

Thanks Bentharbour--congrats to you too!

It would be interesting to see how many direct applicants there were this year; I'm sure, however, that there can't be too many direct applicants.

My fingers are crossed for all those still waiting.

Congrats Vee!

It is definitely more difficult to get a SSHRC being an independent. Last year there were only 50 awarded and I can only assume that there were many more applications.

Does anyone out there know the answer to this question.

I have already emailed SSHRC to acknowledge acceptance of the award. I have also sent both Form I and II to my host university. Is there anything else that I am required to do to activate payment?

Edited by bentharbour

I received my letter in southwestern Ontario today - to my surprise, successful! I'm still very much in shock.

It's hard to say my stats because of my school's wonky grading system, but I will:

Applied as a fourth year undergrad for the first (and only) year of my masters

GPA when applying: 11.9/13 (about 86%, although most of my marks after first year were in the 86-92 range)

No publications

No teaching assistantships

A renewable entrance scholarship that I maintained for the four years

On the Dean's List and President's Roll all six semesters that they considered (I can't remember if I included this in the awards section, but it would have been on my transcript)

My reference letters and letter of intent must have been better than I thought. Congratulations to everyone who's been successful!