Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

To those worried about your decision coming in the physical mail and not by email, I received an email today confirming my acceptance received in the physical mail on Friday. Same kind of email as everyone else. They must send the physical copies out a little early and figure the email usually gets sent first?

Hi all,

I'm a Fulbright Germany Full Grant grantee and I'm wondering if the fulbright Germany ETA facebook group can be open to all Germany fulbrighters (including Full grant). I'm not sure if there is a general one, but it would be nice to connect with anyone going to Germany...

Sure why not! Go ahead and join. I'm the admin for the group. If you want to post about that in the group, that'll remind me to change the group description next time I log in. :)  Incidentally do you know how many full grants there are to Germany this year?

Edited by crthrasher

Sure why not! Go ahead and join. I'm the admin for the group. If you want to post about that in the group, that'll remind me to change the group description next time I log in. :)  Incidentally do you know how many full grants there are to Germany this year?

Yeah, I am not an ETA either. So, I hesitated in asking to join the General group. Lol! 

Ha.  That is fine.  I may be applying to Georgia, but I feel that I can still say something about Russia.  Mainly, you just have to be mindful of what you research and say.  There is not reason to be paranoid.  When I went to Russia, I did not bring up Russian politics myself - although there were plenty of Russian students who would bring up the topic. They would also ask me about American politics, especially since at the time I was there it was during our Primaries. There is not the same level of paranoia that was present during the Stalinist era, that's for sure, or even what was present during the Soviet times in general.  I cannot speak for China as I don't quite know the situation, but the advice I have is just be mindful.  Someone else on here had a good point is that you should wait and see with whom you are dealing first before you engage in any political or other sensitive discussions. 

Thanks. I guess I didn't mean just to draw attention to the fact that one should be careful when discussing politically sensitive topics in certain places...maybe I just wanted to complain about it. I know not to visit certain sites, not to express certain things, not to trust right off the bat the guy who claims to be my new friend. But that bothers me. That's all, and I am not looking forward to having to tacitly accept the official media position on, for example, Syria - a place I care and worry a lot about. That's what I meant about being ambivalent - I know my own thoughts have been constructed in an environment with its own political agenda, and so I will appreciate being in a setting where my own notions are challenged. But not to be able to be openly critical of state power will be difficult. Last time I was in China I pretty much kept my mouth shut about Xinjiang etc. and I know that that is necessary, but for how long? I mean in my own writing do I just accept that I can only write about China with caution and restraint for fear of joining the list of researchers who can't go back anymore? But on the other hand, there's the "tyranny of choice" where you can say whatever you want since it just gets swallowed up in all the other crazy opinions out there, and that alone renders it sort of impotent. I guess what I really want to say is, man oh man I could go for four or five steamed pork baozi right about now. 

Someone came up to me at church and said, "Awww...you still haven't heard about your thing, have you?" Like my skin has the dull hue of someone wrought with anxiety. Weekends are not really better at this point. Lol!!

Haha...oh but once you do hear then people will all see the radiant glow emanating from your face, and they'll all say oh! you heard about your thing! and then you can tell them about your triumphant news.

Someone came up to me at church and said, "Awww...you still haven't heard about your thing, have you?" Like my skin has the dull hue of someone wrought with anxiety. Weekends are not really better at this point. Lol!!

Sure sure... But after you get accepted (hopefully soon) you're going to show up at church looking all hot and energized and everyone will just know why. No explanation necessary!

Sure sure... But after you get accepted (hopefully soon) you're going to show up at church looking all hot and energized and everyone will just know why. No explanation necessary!

Haha...oh but once you do hear then people will all see the radiant glow emanating from your face, and they'll all say oh! you heard about your thing! and then you can tell them about your triumphant news.

Yep, I am ready for the glow of victory! LOL!! I said to one of them: I am not ready to lose, but I am ready to know.

Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum and haven't been participating in this discussion (wasn't even aware of this site/thread until I google showed me the path yesterday).

But, I made an account to announce that I am a recipient of a ETA to Taiwan. Hoping to connect with some people who may have also won (not sure how to search this thread for Taiwan winners). Anyway, I thought it could be helpful to get to know some of the people who also won, and perhaps to keep up on relevant information. Any idea when we will get assigned to a location in Taiwan? Any one have any preferences on which one they get?

Anyway, just signing in. Nice to meet everyone here. Congratulations to all the winners and good luck to those still waiting!

Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum and haven't been participating in this discussion (wasn't even aware of this site/thread until I google showed me the path yesterday).

But, I made an account to announce that I am a recipient of a ETA to Taiwan. Hoping to connect with some people who may have also won (not sure how to search this thread for Taiwan winners). Anyway, I thought it could be helpful to get to know some of the people who also won, and perhaps to keep up on relevant information. Any idea when we will get assigned to a location in Taiwan? Any one have any preferences on which one they get?

Anyway, just signing in. Nice to meet everyone here. Congratulations to all the winners and good luck to those still waiting!

Thanks for joining us! :)

I know that feeling, haha. Basically, after I made it to the final round, people had 1 of 2 reactions.

They either 

A) Acted like it wasn't that big of a deal, and that I was sorta silly for not starting a career while I waited.

or

B ) Acted like I already got it, which was annoying because then I would have to basically let them down if I didn't get it (I also felt like they were jinxing it, lol).

Either way, I ended up winning so all worked out. But, I honestly wish I hadn't told anyone I was in the running. The people stressed me out.

Edited by TheMixer

I know that feeling, haha. Basically, after I made it to the final round, people had 1 of 2 reactions.

They either 

A) Acted like it wasn't that big of a deal, and that I was sorta silly for not starting a career while I waited.

or

B ) Acted like I already got it, which was annoying because then I would have to basically let them down if I didn't get it (I also felt like they were jinxing it, lol).

Either way, I ended up winning so all worked out. But, I honestly wish I hadn't told anyone I was in the running. The people stressed me out.

I get that a lot. The "it's in the bag" sort of reaction. In the back of my mind I am thinking, there are only 3 spots. :)

I get that a lot. The "it's in the bag" sort of reaction. In the back of my mind I am thinking, there are only 3 spots. :)

I'm the SAME WAY!  and I also sort of feel like people are jinxing it when they talk so confidently about it...I'm all like dude, keep your voice down!  cuz you know it's only jinxed if other people hear it...I'm very weirdly superstitious in a lot of ways...and yes I'm a physicist, it makes 0 sense...

They either 

or

I'm the SAME WAY!  and I also sort of feel like people are jinxing it when they talk so confidently about it...I'm all like dude, keep your voice down!  cuz you know it's only jinxed if other people hear it...I'm very weirdly superstitious in a lot of ways...and yes I'm a physicist, it makes 0 sense...

Is it just me or is anyone else paranoid that you are going to accidentally delete the decision email? And/or everyone will find out but not update the spreadsheet?

That said, Latin America is still waiting right?

...subject to the sequester! (Couldn't resist).

And SO agree re: superstition. I didn't add my info to the spreadsheet for the longest time because of some strange superstitious (ir)rationale.

One approach to bridging the gap between positivity and possibly false predictions of the future is just to add inshallah, "if God wills." "You are really smart and awesome!! You are sooo getting it, inshallah," meaning "yep you are smart but so are other people, so who knows...good luck!"

I know this isn't specifically about Fulbright, but who was the other poster here who was also applying to Whitaker? I cannot for the life of me remember what page it was on.

Swiss Update: someone I'm in contact with called the IIE. Response was, "Unfortunately we will not be in a position to inform Swiss applicants until mid-May of the outcome. If anything changes in the interim we will let applicants know."

Edited by lunita

Swiss Update: someone I'm in contact with called the IIE. Response was, "Unfortunately we will not be in a position to inform Swiss applicants until mid-May of the outcome. If anything changes in the interim we will let applicants know."
Oy! Do you think this applies to the rest of Europe or just Switzerland?

Is it just me or is anyone else paranoid that you are going to accidentally delete the decision email? And/or everyone will find out but not update the spreadsheet?

Most countries in Latin America are still waiting sadly. I think Brazil has heard and a few others...check the google doc. 

Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  And here I thought maybe this was the week.  I hope that is worst case scenario, and we'll find out before May.

Central America and the Caribbean will probably be waiting until mid-May (somebody got in contact with the director of the region, and that's what the director said). What country did you apply for? ETA or Full grant? I'm hoping for an ETA to Panama

...subject to the sequester! (Couldn't resist).

And SO agree re: superstition. I didn't add my info to the spreadsheet for the longest time because of some strange superstitious (ir)rationale.

Lol!! Stupid Sequester!! Now I have that out of my system for today.

Actually, they cut down the spots from 4 to 3 a few years ago. I am not sure why.

Oy! Do you think this applies to the rest of Europe or just Switzerland?

Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  And here I thought maybe this was the week.  I hope that is worst case scenario, and we'll find out before May.

Say it ain't so! People have to find places to stay, and plans need to be made. Oy! is right!

Central America and the Caribbean will probably be waiting until mid-May (somebody got in contact with the director of the region, and that's what the director said). What country did you apply for? ETA or Full grant? I'm hoping for an ETA to Panama

Full to El Salvador