Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

It's the not knowing that's killing me. I'd rather they pierce my heart with a "Rejected" than go on in my ignorance.

I'm right there with you. I feel like I can't get the rest of my life-after-college started until I find out. I've applied for other things (like jobs, ugh) but it has been disappointing and done half-heartedly at best. As much as I hate to admit it, I put all my eggs in one basket. This basket. 

Jeez, it really seems like the flood gates have been opened!  Congrats to everyone who go great news today, and condolences to those who got less than favorable answers.

Today has been SUCH a crazy roller coaster of emotions between finding out about Fulbright and then Boston...I felt really terrible posting my news on facebook when I felt like I should just be giving this tragedy at least a little time.  And it really hits me hard when I feel like my life is really taking off, and this senseless act is stopping so many short :(

I was wondering the same thing!  I'm so curious to know the cities we are placed in and the grade levels!  Also, do you know how housing works at all?  We don't live with families do we?  I wonder how we find apartments...

Same! Maybe they'll send us all that info in the mail? I know that they will help us find housing, but we can find apartments ourselves or families. 

By the way, I made a Facebook group for us!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/472442839503233/

I actually know one another girl who is going, so we don't have many members yet haha

It's the not knowing that's killing me. I'd rather they pierce my heart with a "Rejected" than go on in my ignorance.

Boo! Rejected is Boo! 

I'd rather hear Accepted than go on with my naivety. 

Edited by daisusaikoro

HOLY SHITAKE MUSHROOMS, I'M GOING TO CROATIA!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 

eh hem

yeah, I got it!!!!!!

OH EM GEEE!!

I miss ONE day and so many announcements!!

I am SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

I'm so glad that you don't have to try and decide whether or not to go - your decision has pretty much been made for you, right?!

Agggh! So happy!! CONGRATS!

Where in Croatia will you be?

Woah, I can't believe how many people received news yesterday. In an effort to NOT spam the board, I will try and get you all in one post!!

Congrats to the recipients!!!

Avos32

ICE_88

ArkansasJabali

Naomarie4

gotoghana

MRB15

GlamLeo

Frenchvanilla935

Books2Readme

PHDH20

Guiri4life

SocpsychPHD

So sorry for those who didn't receive it this year.. Apply again next year!!! And hang in there to the alts, you  never know!! But seriously, apply again, I this was my second attempt, so sometimes it just takes a little extra work! But it's worth it in the end!!  I'm not gonna list you guys off because I feel like that would maybe just be putting salt to your wounds? But my heart goes out to every one of you, but gosh darn it, try again!!! BIG BIG Hugs to you guys!!

I share in your disappointment. I also looked into the auxiliary program, but after reading countless blogs, I did not think it was worth it to go through the application. I hope you find something! If it's meant to be, it will be. I suppose that this year just was not our time. 

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your news too... what do you think you will do instead? 

So I have been driving back from Coachella so I wasn't able to post, but I got it!!! Full grant to Lesotho!!!

Hey HUGE congrats on Lesotho! It would be great to connect offline... Not sure the best way to share contacts details. Bravo to you!

OH EM GEEE!!

I miss ONE day and so many announcements!!

I am SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

I'm so glad that you don't have to try and decide whether or not to go - your decision has pretty much been made for you, right?!

Agggh! So happy!! CONGRATS!

Where in Croatia will you be?

Thanks so much girl! Yep, I'm going for sure, and doing the PhD at MD Anderson when I get back!  I'll be in Zagreb most of the time with short trips to Osijek, Rijeka, and Split, prob abt a month each, and you'll be coming to visit me, yeah?!  So are the full grants and ETAs all at the same orientation in DC?  I want to meet you all!!!!!!

Glad to hear that you have Zumba-d your way into Croatia. Success!

haha actually sort of true...in my application I talked about how Zumba was a cross-cultural activity and how I wanted to lead zumbathon fundraisers showcasing some classic American and Cajun music, I think that's what won it for me!! :)

Question for those who have heard: In the subject line of your emails, did it tell you your status? For example, last year in the subject line they put something like, "Status of your fulbright application" and then after in parentheses had one of the three following letters: P (Principle), A (Alternate), and NS (Not Selected).  So... you know where you stood before even opening the email (which is both good and bad). Just wondering how it works this year...

WHOA!  I am just getting caught up with the boards.  Looks like yesterday was a big day.  Congrats to everyone who made it!  :D

Now I wish that Switzerland would get their shit in gear and announce soon...

Thanks so much girl! Yep, I'm going for sure, and doing the PhD at MD Anderson when I get back!  I'll be in Zagreb most of the time with short trips to Osijek, Rijeka, and Split, prob abt a month each, and you'll be coming to visit me, yeah?!  So are the full grants and ETAs all at the same orientation in DC?  I want to meet you all!!!!!!

Sweet! That's awesome that you are going to be in Zagreb! My family lives about twenty minutes from there. We should definitely try and meet up! have you been to Plitvice? Maybe we could take a trip there! Or Dubrovnik.. I have never been there!!

ETA's don't go to the orientation in DC, unfortunately. I was kind of excited about that, but oh well! German ETA's get one in Köln!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

haha actually sort of true...in my application I talked about how Zumba was a cross-cultural activity and how I wanted to lead zumbathon fundraisers showcasing some classic American and Cajun music, I think that's what won it for me!! :)

Um. Whomever is downvoting her, stop being a jerk. There's no reason to downvote that. <_<

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Hello, everyone!

I have not seen any posts about Central Asia. Has anybody applied to conduct research or teach English there? I was recommended for a Fulbright Research Grant to Tajikistan and am waiting to hear a final decision.

Um. Whomever is downvoting her, stop being a jerk. There's no reason to downvote that. <_<

Yeah for real, although I'm willing to give this forum the benefit of the doubt and blame it on touchscreen phone mishaps. What kind of maniac would dislike Zumba enthusiasm?