Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hi everyone - long time lurker of this forum, I applied last year as well - but I thought I would give a bit of a non-update to the other two(?) Morocco applicants in the forum.

I just called Jermaine Jones about when we could be expecting to hear from Morocco (I heard from them last year on the 25th of April, and the year before that was I believe April 15th?) and Jones has basically said that he (and/or his office) are just as much in the dark as we are: he hasn't heard back from the DC or Rabat offices. He estimated maybe this or next week, but reiterated that it was complete guesswork for him as well.

I don't know what is going on with this whole process, but I hope I'm not alone in believing that Fulbright (and/or IIE) really need to get their sh*t together.

Edited by cessiemasque

For everyone still waiting, you have T-19 Arrested Development episodes to the close of business. You can watch all of Season 2 before IIE closes for business today! Start soon!

I saw where the sequestration wrt air traffic controllers is being lifted. Maybe Fulbright is next? or has our Annie-like optimism just infected me deeply? ; )

Hi everyone - long time lurker of this forum, I applied last year as well - but I thought I would give a bit of a non-update to the other two(?) Morocco applicants in the forum.

I just called Jermaine Jones about when we could be expecting to hear from Morocco (I heard from them last year on the 25th of April, and the year before that was I believe April 15th?) and Jones has basically said that he (and/or his office) are just as much in the dark as we are: he hasn't heard back from the DC or Rabat offices. He estimated maybe this or next week, but reiterated that it was complete guesswork for him as well.

I don't know what is going on with this whole process, but I hope I'm not alone in believing that Fulbright (and/or IIE) really need to get their sh*t together.

Wow! You're brave....

Any China applicants feeling brave enough to contact Johnathan Akeley? 

Thanks, cessiemasque.  I just emailed the head of the MACECE office in Rabat.  Keep your fingers crossed for a response... 

Thanks reb and cessiemasque for the info!...also waiting for my Moroccan ETA notification...it just gets harder and harder to have patience as the days tick by.

Edited by sarah888

I was reading on the information for recommended candidates page a few minutes ago, and I noticed that ETA's to Central America/Caribbean don't have to attend an orientation in DC. Is it just me, or did it earlier say that we would have to attend one?! Perhaps I'm losing my marbles after all this time, but I could have sworn that it said we had to attend one earlier in the process....

Last year I don't think they did...

For the China applicants, I talked to someone at IIE and they said:

Should be by the end of the week or on Monday!

Thank you so much for calling! Hmmm...it's the already the "middle" of the week...

For those of you in limbo: I signed a lease on a apartment yesterday, but negotiated a deal with my landlord that if I get a Fulbright, I will only lose my security deposit. It's been difficult waiting, but sometimes you just have to keep working on your plan B....

I got the same one today! LOL. I read the whole thing before I even realized it was a Fulbright email. End of May...hmm...I'll take the challenge Fulbright, I know you're simply testing my psychological strength. Watch me rock this month of May. I will show you a whole new level of staying busy. Bring it on!!!

I was wondering if you got the same note, Lunita!  I am sort of kind of tempted to email Eileen back.  You know, to thank her for the status update.  And also ask WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

I haven't ever really heard much news about Japan Fulbrighters, but I have heard stories about Japan Foundation alternates getting bumped up. good luck and hang in there (much easier said than done...). something will work out in the end, and there is always next year too.

Thanks Mims

I was wondering if you got the same note, Lunita!  I am sort of kind of tempted to email Eileen back.  You know, to thank her for the status update.  And also ask WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

I just lol'ed when I read the last sentence there... I think we're all considering that for our region directors!

I just lol'ed when I read the last sentence there... I think we're all considering that for our region directors!

:D

The only thing stopping me is that I know whatever information I receive, it won't make the wait any shorter or any more bearable.

:D

The only thing stopping me is that I know whatever information I receive, it won't make the wait any shorter or any more bearable.

True, but at least we'd have a better idea of what's going on!  I'm tired of my life being in limbo... time to get other applications going!

I am trying to decide if I should email my contact in Estonia and see if he has heard anything. Probably not. I am sure he would email me if he had, but still considering it. Arg! Waiting is so gross!

It's so quiet today. No news from any part of the world? Come on IIE, you can do it!

Look's like you're at the bargaining stage of grief...

I'm still stuck at the anger stage.  Might just jump right to depression though.  Clearly none of us have made it to acceptance yet....

I'm still stuck at the anger stage.  Might just jump right to depression though.  Clearly none of us have made it to acceptance yet....

Nice. My son is telling me this is the beginning of a horror story. "One time I applied for a Fulbright...and the answer never came."

He says it needs to be on "creepypasta" I have no idea.

I was at depression, but I have regressed.

Edited by CrystalDee

I am at the anger stage. Is that before or after depression? I move all over the spectrum, regularly!

I definitely swing between denial and anger. One minute I'm certain the email will come at any second, the next I'm angry it didn't... Then I transition into full scale panic mode where I'm like "seriously!? Where is it!? It has to come!! Why isn't it here!?"

Last time around I was SO much worse though... This time I at least have some ability to talk myself down and am comparatively functional at work. Ugh...

I lol'd. Acceptance feels so far away. Good thing Egypt is N/A this year or else some applicants might end up spending all their time in de Nile, nyuk nyuk nyuk

I think this might be the longest any group of people has gotten along with each other on teh internet, probably, like, ever. I just remembered this gem from a long long time ago on the board: when we were speculating about whether the fulbright application committees read this forum, someone who was on some kind of college admissions board said she used to check College Confidential and that it was just full of people saying "WHATS YOU'RE GPA BRAH?!?!" That phrase has since become a joke between some friends and me at school, kind of like a greeting. So instead of "what's up dude?" we'll say "what's your gpa brah?"

ah the myriad benefits I have accessed through you fine people.

I didn't ask her that, but I did respond and thank her for the update. I also CC'd my contact in Switzerland, so that he'd be up to speed.

I definitely swing between denial and anger. One minute I'm certain the email will come at any second, the next I'm angry it didn't... Then I transition into full scale panic mode where I'm like "seriously!? Where is it!? It has to come!! Why isn't it here!?"

Last time around I was SO much worse though... This time I at least have some ability to talk myself down and am comparatively functional at work. Ugh...

LOL. I was quite angry before I got my email. And the first time around was much, much easier. I blame this forum for the increase in anxiety. That's okay though, because I got to meet and talk to such cool folks ;) It's worth it.

I didn't ask her that, but I did respond and thank her for the update. I also CC'd my contact in Switzerland, so that he'd be up to speed.

I did end up responding just to say thanks, too.  Good idea to CC your contact in Switzerland though.  I should probably send mine a note as well...