Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

Hi Porkman,

Welcome to the club of being without scholarship.

Same conditions for me, but here is the solution:

I called them for the same questions and they told me, that you can send the documents you fill out, but if you can't, just send the acceptance.

So if you want to accept, then do it and do all medical and financial matters afterwards.

They are aware that it is a challenge to cope all those matters and honestly, I also need to organize the finances first, so we can relax.

No problem, but yeah....expensive exercise.

Cheers

Did you receive clarification on whether the international fees for students that didn't receive scholarship funding would at least be at the subsidized rate? It seems as though applicants from Western countries were less lucky with getting in with funding...

As you can see, the table shows three different fees: Singaporeans, International and then "all nationalities"

This seems to be complicated but it is not: unless you have already received subsidized tuition fees in Singapore (which leads to the simple question: have you already studied there?), you will get the subsidized tuition fees, but for international students, so 8,625 SGD.  

The 22k something tuition fees are only for people (and that means SIngaporeans and all others) who have already received subsidized tuition fees in previous studies, for example undergrad.

So in other words: don't worry, it is "only" 8,625 per semester.

Dear All 

Firstly congratulations to all who have got the admission to LKY - MPP and good luck to those who are awaiting the response from the admissions committee. While I have recently received the letter of confirmation from LKY School, can anyone in this trail help me with a small information. Are we supposed to submit any supporting financial document explicating a threshold level of funds, given the fact the letter mentions  scholarship on tuition fees (+stipend and accommodation). 

I will appreciate a reply on the same. TIA and look forward to meeting the cohort joining MPP Programme 2015. 

Best Wishes

Hey guys!

Nice to meet you all. My name is Aselle.

I'm an applicant from Kazakhstan, got in with a full scholarship. Are there any girls out here or am I the only one? :)

Also, sar17's your question is great, I'd really like to know the answer to that. Got zilch on my bank account at the moment :)

Hello Aselle 

Great to connect with you. I hope it will be a balanced batch  :)

I will be calling the admissions office, and shall update on any information that I receive.  

Cheers! 

Sarthak 

Reply from NUS -

"I believe you have not been contacted for interview so far, and hence it implies that your application for 2015 intake has not been successful.

Appreciate your kind understanding. "

I guess this is it for me and NUS

Edited by yeskay

So for those who recieve a sfull scholarship, I got an email from LKYSPP that we still have to submit the financial means form because we need to sign it. The school prefers that we send a copy of the bank statement as well.

Hello everybody,

the math test was really really fair and somehow easy. There were 12 questions and 50 minutes time to do it. You will receive a word document with the questions.

It is really high school level, although some questions were tricky. You can picture the questions like:

"a worker can produce 50 pieces of something in 2 weeks, how many pieces he can produce in 6 weeks", this is really simple. 

But you have also cross-multiplication like 60,000 is so XX%, how much is 100%.

Or you have diagrams to read the significant information.

So all in all, it was very ok. I was able to answer 10 questions, since 2 questions were really out of my memory and I was so honest to tell that, hehe.

So I guess I get certain refreshing, but I think this is good for me.

I would recommend, that nobody should trying to solve it with any help except the calculator since you can also find out, where are your weaknesses and then you can work on that.

So far so good...

Hello everybody,

the math test was really really fair and somehow easy. There were 12 questions and 50 minutes time to do it. You will receive a word document with the questions.

It is really high school level, although some questions were tricky. You can picture the questions like:

"a worker can produce 50 pieces of something in 2 weeks, how many pieces he can produce in 6 weeks", this is really simple. 

But you have also cross-multiplication like 60,000 is so XX%, how much is 100%.

Or you have diagrams to read the significant information.

So all in all, it was very ok. I was able to answer 10 questions, since 2 questions were really out of my memory and I was so honest to tell that, hehe.

So I guess I get certain refreshing, but I think this is good for me.

I would recommend, that nobody should trying to solve it with any help except the calculator since you can also find out, where are your weaknesses and then you can work on that.

So far so good...

Thanks namir for the info on the tests.. if the test was on Microsoft word, did you have to type out your calculations or just the final answer? have you done the verbal/English test?

@mark31
I do not know yet.
Have an offer from hertie and waiting for georgetown.

should decide in a week .

But really disappointed for not getting into LKY

Hi guys my name is Carlos and I was accepted to the MPP at Lee Kwan Yew. I am from Venezuela and I want to know at first glance how is life in Singapore for a student as I am from a really far away country. I have never been in Asia but I am excited to meet you all!

Thank You!

Edited by veneman

Hi Carlos, welcome to Asia :). I have send my acceptance letter, along with salary slip and my bank statement (very little money in there). I will have to send the medical tests later. My place of working is in quite a remote place in Central India and when I met the doctor yesterday at the Community Health Center, the doctor said that the X-ray machine was not working properly and after inspecting my form advised me to go to a more flashy clinic in the nearby city :(

Have you guys mailed your forms? 

I've sent in my acceptance materials (minus the medical stuff which I'm getting next week).  I haven't received a  confirmation of receipt and I sent it two days ago.  

Hi guys my name is Carlos and I was accepted to the MPP at Lee Kwan Yew. I am from Venezuela and I want to know at first glance how is life in Singapore for a student as I am from a really far away country. I have never been in Asia but I am excited to meet you all!

Thank You!

Hi Carlos! I go to Singapore several times a year.. this is what I can tell you:

1. Singapore is incredibly clean
  2. There are shopping malls. everywhere. literally. December is the best time for shopping, very good sales! women be warned!
  3. Public transportation, the police, the government ... all very efficient. Trains (very extensive network throughout the city state) and buses come exactly on the dot. Taxis are also easy to get (in the case you're in an area without access to trains) - taxi companies also have call numbers, they will tell you exactly how many minutes you need to wait for your taxi [as you can tell, I come from a country where public transportation is wanting =(] - the EzyLink (sort of like a transportation/payment card which you add value to by topping up) works on all trains, buses, and you can even buy things with it
  4. Hawker food (local coffee shops, food courts) is reasonably cheap - you can get a bowl of chicken rice or noodles for less than  Sing dollars $ 5 (last I checked) - nearer to large residential areas the food will be cheaper. McDonald's (always a good international comparison) meal will set you back below $ 10 (https://www.mcdelivery.com.sg/sg/jsp-desktop/menu/menu.jsp)
  5. The gov is trying to make Singapore more green (it already has several parks, and greenery around roads etc)
  6. Lots of entertainment - booming arts and theatre scene, there's museums, Jurong Bird Park, the zoo, botanical gardens, Universal studios, marina bay sands.. etc (http://www.yoursingapore.com/en.html)
  7. There's also the historical more cultured side of Singapore - colonial buildings, Little India, Chinatown
  8. And to balance out my review.. here's a list of things that expats don't like about Singapore.. (http://www.guidemesingapore.com/relocation/introduction/things-you-might-not-like-about-singapore)

Let me know if you need more info, happy to help!

Cheers

Hello again,

Welcome veneman!

I will send the letter on Sunday but I have to send the additional documents later since I need to organize loans and I can't do the medical issue right now since there were holidays here in the Philippines and next week, I have a business trip to Europe. But the head of admission told me, this will be ok.

I am happy to hear, that you are accepting and I can confirm as well, that Singapore is a super nice city.

By the way: do you think, it is easy to get part time jobs as a student there? Or are they only limited?

Hi Carlos, welcome to Asia :). I have send my acceptance letter, along with salary slip and my bank statement (very little money in there). I will have to send the medical tests later. My place of working is in quite a remote place in Central India and when I met the doctor yesterday at the Community Health Center, the doctor said that the X-ray machine was not working properly and after inspecting my form advised me to go to a more flashy clinic in the nearby city :(

Have you guys mailed your forms? 

Did you get anything back saying they'd received the forms?  I haven't yet. 

Hi Carlos! I go to Singapore several times a year.. this is what I can tell you:

1. Singapore is incredibly clean
  2. There are shopping malls. everywhere. literally. December is the best time for shopping, very good sales! women be warned!
  3. Public transportation, the police, the government ... all very efficient. Trains (very extensive network throughout the city state) and buses come exactly on the dot. Taxis are also easy to get (in the case you're in an area without access to trains) - taxi companies also have call numbers, they will tell you exactly how many minutes you need to wait for your taxi [as you can tell, I come from a country where public transportation is wanting =(] - the EzyLink (sort of like a transportation/payment card which you add value to by topping up) works on all trains, buses, and you can even buy things with it
  4. Hawker food (local coffee shops, food courts) is reasonably cheap - you can get a bowl of chicken rice or noodles for less than  Sing dollars $ 5 (last I checked) - nearer to large residential areas the food will be cheaper. McDonald's (always a good international comparison) meal will set you back below $ 10 (https://www.mcdelivery.com.sg/sg/jsp-desktop/menu/menu.jsp)
  5. The gov is trying to make Singapore more green (it already has several parks, and greenery around roads etc)
  6. Lots of entertainment - booming arts and theatre scene, there's museums, Jurong Bird Park, the zoo, botanical gardens, Universal studios, marina bay sands.. etc (http://www.yoursingapore.com/en.html)
  7. There's also the historical more cultured side of Singapore - colonial buildings, Little India, Chinatown
  8. And to balance out my review.. here's a list of things that expats don't like about Singapore.. (http://www.guidemesingapore.com/relocation/introduction/things-you-might-not-like-about-singapore)

Let me know if you need more info, happy to help!

Cheers

Thank you for the information Vhym06 !  If I have another question I will let you know!

Edited by veneman

I have sent the acceptance letter and the subsidy form today.

i will send the other documents when i am able to fill them with information.

well, i am excited for the next steps...