2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

So who's the Harvard admit? Congrats. 

I'm really hungry so for a second I read Bellini as Blini and wondered why they were talking about pancakes.

So if that's Harvard starting then, one hopes we might start hearing about Yale soonish.

I'm really hungry so for a second I read Bellini as Blini and wondered why they were talking about pancakes.

So if that's Harvard starting then, one hopes we might start hearing about Yale soonish.

I thought they meant the mixed drink for several seconds. Oops. 

Also, wheee my NU app finally reads as "complete" in nice purple letters. :)

Edited by m-ttl

Long-time lurker here. A good friend went through the AHis PhD process a couple of years ago and got in nearly everywhere he applied (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) He heard from the California schools in early February, Princeton towards the end of the month, and the rest in March. This is just to say, don't freak out over the Harvard acceptance that's been posted! In all likelihood it's a pretty big exception... 

I just received my first admission to CWRU's MA program in art history. I don't mean to brag but not a lot of my friends and family understand how stressful this process has been. I'm so excited because this is the first time I've applied to grad school and this was one of my first choices! Still 11 more schools to hear from but I'm relieved to have at least one admission.

I wish all the best to everyone waiting!

Edited by Yce3f7c

I just received my first admission to CWRU's MA program in art history. I don't mean to brag but not a lot of my friends and family understand how stressful this process has been. I'm so excited because this is the first time I've applied to grad school and this was one of my first choices! Still 11 more schools to hear from but I'm relieved to have at least one admission.

congrats!!!

I don't mean to brag but not a lot of my friends and family understand how stressful this process has been. I'm so excited because this is the first time I've applied to grad school and this was one of my first choices!

Oh man, I made my mother email all our relatives when I got my first admit, so don't feel bad! We understand here!

Hi everybody, just jumping on the bandwagon of anxiety and frustration here! 

So, last Thursday I logged onto the online portal of my top choice (for about the ten billionth time that week) and FINALLY my status had changed from 'Application Received' to 'An Academic Decision Has Been Made.' However, the portal has thus far neglected to inform me what this alleged decision is, and I haven't received any emails. Needless to say, I am freaking out. Anyone have any speculation as to what this might mean? 

Hi everybody, just jumping on the bandwagon of anxiety and frustration here! 

So, last Thursday I logged onto the online portal of my top choice (for about the ten billionth time that week) and FINALLY my status had changed from 'Application Received' to 'An Academic Decision Has Been Made.' However, the portal has thus far neglected to inform me what this alleged decision is, and I haven't received any emails. Needless to say, I am freaking out. Anyone have any speculation as to what this might mean? 

Usually the "academic decision has been made" is a clickable link. Does that not work? 

__

Funnily enough, I decided to not keep my family informed about Grad stuff. They got index cards that list where I'm applying to, and I tell them generalities ("I have an interview") but because they live in different cities, I told them I'd tell them all where I'm going when it's all said and done. My recommenders, however, have been very pleased to get my updates, and I see two of them once a week for class anyways. I figure they're not family (who can wait to hear me out over dinner), and also they wrote my letters, so they like hearing about it. 

I'm planning on seeing if I can afford to buy my family stickers, mugs, or keychains from the school I choose. (Pending acceptances!) 

Edited by m-ttl

Congratulations!!!  :D 

Usually the "academic decision has been made" is a clickable link. Does that not work? 

__

Funnily enough, I decided to not keep my family informed about Grad stuff. They got index cards that list where I'm applying to, and I tell them generalities ("I have an interview") but because they live in different cities, I told them I'd tell them all where I'm going when it's all said and done. My recommenders, however, have been very pleased to get my updates, and I see two of them once a week for class anyways. I figure they're not family (who can wait to hear me out over dinner), and also they wrote my letters, so they like hearing about it. 

I'm planning on seeing if I can afford to buy my family stickers, mugs, or keychains from the school I choose. (Pending acceptances!) 

I bought a sweater from my top choice school and have kept it hidden in my closet; nobody knows (but you guys) that I have it. The day I hear back from the school, I will either wear it if accepted or burn it if not. I keep having dreams about going around--sporting my new outfit, of course--to let everybody know about the A-MA-ZING news. :unsure: I wish!

....Because I'm poor?? For other people, it might be a GREAT idea. I know MAPH is heavily beneficial and would be academically rigorous. That doesn't mean taking on that debt is always a wise choice for everyone. 

You can't divorce money from the point for someone who lives on the poverty line. I cannot, in any reasonable, sensible state of mind attend a program which does not fund me. Why? Because my mother struggles, because I work two jobs and still can't afford my undergraduate degree so I have (gov't) loans in which to feed, clothe, and educate myself. I am not begrudging other people who have money, I am just being cognizant of the fact that I cannot continue to fund myself in that way (with loans, etc). Two years for a MA, say at about $30,000 a year (never mind living expenses, what have you) would put me over $100,000 in student loans debt. I'm passionate about what I do and want to go to graduate school, but I'm not insane.

I appreciate what you're saying about "not begrudging other people who have money," but making the conscious to take on the debt in order to have access to education doesn't feel insane to me. I had no money and no savings, and more than doubled my undergraduate debt to attend MAPH ($109,000), and without it would never have gotten into UChicago's English PhD program (or any other). Neither I nor many of my friends  (both in MAPH and in PhD programs) have any external support, living only on loans and work study or stipends and jobs. I'm no stranger to working multiple jobs and and shouldering big debt, and I'd make each and every choice all over again in order to be where I want to be right now. It's still a crap shoot, MAPH is no magic bullet.

But I think it might not be as "insane" as you suggest for one to be on precisely the path you're calling crazy. For me, no amount of re-applying was going to get me into a program because I had no clue what grad school was, and I think most of us who are applying to grad programs don't realize that about ourselves. All that being said, your passion is evident, and I truly hope you get into a funded program!

I appreciate what you're saying about "not begrudging other people who have money," but making the conscious to take on the debt in order to have access to education doesn't feel insane to me. I had no money and no savings, and more than doubled my undergraduate debt to attend MAPH ($109,000), and without it would never have gotten into UChicago's English PhD program (or any other). Neither I nor many of my friends  (both in MAPH and in PhD programs) have any external support, living only on loans and work study or stipends and jobs. I'm no stranger to working multiple jobs and and shouldering big debt, and I'd make each and every choice all over again in order to be where I want to be right now. It's still a crap shoot, MAPH is no magic bullet.

But I think it might not be as "insane" as you suggest for one to be on precisely the path you're calling crazy. For me, no amount of re-applying was going to get me into a program because I had no clue what grad school was, and I think most of us who are applying to grad programs don't realize that about ourselves. All that being said, your passion is evident, and I truly hope you get into a funded program!

I'm not sure why when I clearly state multiple times that it is how I feel about myself and my own finances, not about other people, I must be corrected. I'm sorry, but I would have well over $132,000 in debt with my proposed situation. That's debt I would never escape. Far be it from me to be a raincloud, but if I strike out this year with no funding anywhere, then so be it. But I'm not going to apply to unfunded programs next year. I don't want to be a Professor, so the name brand matters a little less to me. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by not having any idea what grad school is. 

But regardless, that's great for other people. But I refuse to do that to myself, where I must continue to fund myself solely on debt. It sucks. It is an awful feeling. I've already been doing it for four years, and I really don't want to continue. 

Edited by m-ttl

Idealism is wonderful and all, but even if you are lucky enough to score a tenure-track job after you complete your degree, you're still looking at shouldering that debt for a long time. Look at http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/English_Lit_Salaries_2012-13 to see what academia entails; in most cases, you're looking at $40-50,000 a year. Education is wonderful, but investing over $100,000 to spend 7-8 years of your life working towards a degree that will only  potentially net you one of these jobs is a pretty tenuous financial decision. 

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, you say that you didn't understand what grad school was, but at the moment I don't think you really realize what comes after grad school. What are you planning on doing in the case that you don't get a tenure track job? For example: https://chronicle.com/article/Should-Working-Class-People/131283/

I have to say that you and Swagato, as much as you both have benefited from the MAPH program, should probably stop talking for a bit. The level of insistence is quite aggressive, and is coming off as rude. I'm very glad that you have both had excellent experiences, but that is no excuse for the continuous advertisement of the MAPH program. No one is denying that it is an excellent program, with ample opportunities for its graduates, but for some it is simply not financially feasible. At a point where even Princeton graduates are having trouble acquiring tenture track positions, going into a job search with $100,000 in debt is really not something most people want to consider. 

Idealism is wonderful and all, but even if you are lucky enough to score a tenure-track job after you complete your degree, you're still looking at shouldering that debt for a long time. Look at http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/English_Lit_Salaries_2012-13 to see what academia entails; in most cases, you're looking at $40-50,000 a year. Education is wonderful, but investing over $100,000 to spend 7-8 years of your life working towards a degree that will only  potentially net you one of these jobs is a pretty tenuous financial decision. 

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, you say that you didn't understand what grad school was, but at the moment I don't think you really realize what comes after grad school. What are you planning on doing in the case that you don't get a tenure track job? For example: https://chronicle.com/article/Should-Working-Class-People/131283/

I have to say that you and Swagato, as much as you both have benefited from the MAPH program, should probably stop talking for a bit. The level of insistence is quite aggressive, and is coming off as rude. I'm very glad that you have both had excellent experiences, but that is no excuse for the continuous advertisement of the MAPH program. No one is denying that it is an excellent program, with ample opportunities for its graduates, but for some it is simply not financially feasible. At a point where even Princeton graduates are having trouble acquiring tenture track positions, going into a job search with $100,000 in debt is really not something most people want to consider. 

Thank you

I don't care if other people make that choice, have that choice to make, or want to go to those programs. I don't care if those programs are the best programs in the world. If I have to pay for it solely out of pocket, I won't go. 

It's both painful and frustrating to have to explain why you can't play the game the way other people do over and over again. I simply cannot take that kind of opportunity, make that kind of gamble, or take that much debt. Perhaps this means I do not "understand" graduate school. Fine. But I don't see why my financial choices should be derided when I'm rejecting crippling, lifelong debt in the name of a Master's degree that may get me into a PhD. 

Ok.  I've just got to jump in here.  No matter what your financial position, I fervently believe that it's very dangerous to attend a PhD program that does not fund you.  The chances of getting a TT job are SO SLIM that you would have to be delusional to think that you're not going to be crushed by debt when you finish.  A word of unsolicited advice for those who make the decision to attend unfunded PhD programs (and really, for anyone in a humanities PhD program, whether funded or unfunded): work it, develop a possible career path outside of the academy, make contacts, develop a Plan B that is truly viable after you get your degree.  I am one of the lucky few to have scored a good TT job (meaning: light teaching load compared to some of my friends who teach a 4-4 course load, great benefits, good salary) and it took me three years after finishing to secure a position.  I had to hustle between grad school and job land and it was a very scary time.  I cannot imagine how much harder it would have been if I had to make debt payments.  I went to a very good, well-respected R-1 terminal art history PhD program that is serious about professionalizing its students (the importance of this cannot be overstated) AND funding them completely.  It's crazy enough to go to grad school in the humanities, but even more crazy to take on 100k+ of debt to do so.  Sorry to be so blunt and potentially offensive to those who are cool with going to into major debt, but let's not pretend that we are isolated from financial concerns; the life of the mind is great, but you also have to eat.   

Nobody's ever suggested choosing an unfunded **PhD** program. 

Likewise, what I have repeatedly advocated (and what Bill H.) supports in their own post, is that we do not draw absolutes, eg., "Under no circumstances should one choose an unfunded MA program." Individual circumstances vary, and so do outcomes. It is a myth--a strong one--that all unfunded MA programs are a debt trap, and that is what I consistently object to. Where opinions differ is on what is a "crazy" or "insane" choice. What's insane to one is manageable for another. I simply care to note that not all such programs are ever absolute no-nos. They can, and have, boosted many an application--so why should we perpetuate the wrong idea that an unfunded MA is necessarily a bad idea? 

Ok.  I've just got to jump in here.  No matter what your financial position, I fervently believe that it's very dangerous to attend a PhD program that does not fund you.  The chances of getting a TT job are SO SLIM that you would have to be delusional to think that you're not going to be crushed by debt when you finish.  A word of unsolicited advice for those who make the decision to attend unfunded PhD programs (and really, for anyone in a humanities PhD program, whether funded or unfunded): work it, develop a possible career path outside of the academy, make contacts, develop a Plan B that is truly viable after you get your degree.  I am one of the lucky few to have scored a good TT job (meaning: light teaching load compared to some of my friends who teach a 4-4 course load, great benefits, good salary) and it took me three years after finishing to secure a position.  I had to hustle between grad school and job land and it was a very scary time.  I cannot imagine how much harder it would have been if I had to make debt payments.  I went to a very good, well-respected R-1 terminal art history PhD program that is serious about professionalizing its students (the importance of this cannot be overstated) AND funding them completely.  It's crazy enough to go to grad school in the humanities, but even more crazy to take on 100k+ of debt to do so.  Sorry to be so blunt and potentially offensive to those who are cool with going to into major debt, but let's not pretend that we are isolated from financial concerns; the life of the mind is great, but you also have to eat.   

Did you have any undergraduate debt?

Nobody's ever suggested choosing an unfunded **PhD** program. 

Likewise, what I have repeatedly advocated (and what Bill H.) supports in their own post, is that we do not draw absolutes, eg., "Under no circumstances should one choose an unfunded MA program." Individual circumstances vary, and so do outcomes. It is a myth--a strong one--that all unfunded MA programs are a debt trap, and that is what I consistently object to. Where opinions differ is on what is a "crazy" or "insane" choice. What's insane to one is manageable for another. I simply care to note that not all such programs are ever absolute no-nos. They can, and have, boosted many an application--so why should we perpetuate the wrong idea that an unfunded MA is necessarily a bad idea? 

Then I am beginning to believe you have repeatedly ignored my statements that the choice would be crazy or insane for myself personally and not for *absolutely everyone, ever*. At no point was I being absolutist for everyone else. In every single post I said my opinion on the matter was a personal choice due to my own financial struggles. 

I don't know how many more ways I could bend myself over backwards to state that other people can manage an unfunded MA, but I cannot. I never once stated an unfunded MA would be a bad idea for everyone, and even repeatedly stated the contrary, that it can be very beneficial admissions wise, impressive, the programs are often academically strong, etc. That doesn't change how I personally approach the idea, however. 

That said, this is a tiring conversation to have. I'm not changing my mind and looking into unfunded MAs. It's beginning to feel like you're being defensive of your debt, which is rather unnecessary, because, again, I don't care if other people feel comfortable with those loans

Subject changed! 

Well, anyway! It looks like Berkeley is sending out decisions now. It's kind of vicious watching all those rejections come in. Yikes.

Yikes, yeah. That was a slew of rejections. 11 in one day??? Oh man, I feel bad just looking at them, and I didn't apply to UB Berkley. I had a professor suggest it to me, bless her confidence in me, because they're strong in my sub-field buuuuut I think I'd only apply if I'm doing an MA this round and have time to bolster my application. How nerve wracking! Even the one top 10 I applied to this go round was a last-minute thing that I did in a fit of optimism and it's so intimidating. 

Does anyone know if phone calls for PhD acceptances are standard, or is that variable? I'm a little nervous about that. I tend to run a full day-long schedule, so I can't always answer my phone, and that seems like the kind of thing you'd want to answer on the first call! Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd love to have a few calls ;)

Edited by m-ttl

My experience was a bit different than oh_la_la's and I'm not sure the debt issue needs to be so fraught. I did take out loans, unnecessarily really because I also had good funding in my program. But like oh_la_la, I'm in a good position at a school (to which many of you are applying, hope to see some of you in my seminar this fall) that pays commensurate to its peers. My loan payments are annoying but not crippling, I write off the interest each year on my taxes, and since I work in higher ed the loans will be forgiven (goes for any 401c(3)). One could look at it as an investment that will require sacrifice in the medium term. Now, it's true, tenure track jobs are difficult to come by, but chances are if you don't get one you'll still stay within education or the nonprofit sector so would also have the ability to discharge your loans after 10 years.

This isn't to say taking on debt is good, or that all debt is equal, I'm just trying to offer perspective from the other side. What if you did in fact make it? What if you realize your aspirations? Then what will $125,000 debt mean to you, with your good salary, excellent benefits, and professional satisfaction?

Yikes, yeah. That was a slew of rejections. 11 in one day??? Oh man, I feel bad just looking at them, and I didn't apply to UB Berkley. I had a professor suggest it to me, bless her confidence in me, because they're strong in my sub-field buuuuut I think I'd only apply if I'm doing an MA this round and have time to bolster my application. How nerve wracking! Even the one top 10 I applied to this go round was a last-minute thing that I did in a fit of optimism and it's so intimidating. 

Does anyone know if phone calls for PhD acceptances are standard, or is that variable? I'm a little nervous about that. I tend to run a full day-long schedule, so I can't always answer my phone, and that seems like the kind of thing you'd want to answer on the first call! Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd love to have a few calls ;)

11 that were reported - I wonder how many rejections went unannounced! Yeah, I have the same issue about phone calls, but if I see a call with a strange area code, I'm just going to walk outside and pick up. Hopefully it's not some telemarketer crushing my hopes.

11 that were reported - I wonder how many rejections went unannounced! Yeah, I have the same issue about phone calls, but if I see a call with a strange area code, I'm just going to walk outside and pick up. Hopefully it's not some telemarketer crushing my hopes.

I can't walk out! I work the front desk, and leaving it unmanned is a big No No. :(