2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

If you had been in contact with Admissions or your POI had told you anything about when to expect news (or anything else that could be relevant!). But I just saw someone got in...

Good luck, in any case!!!!

I think it is actually pretty normal to receive a phone call from your POI or DGS. (Acceptance, not rejection) At least, that has been the case for my colleagues, myself, and many people who have been on these boards in the past.

IHM: I was at the dentist's office when I received the phone call from my top choice school. I recognized the area code, knew immediately what it meant, and actually ran out of the little office with the stupid bib on, blood in my mouth, etc. to answer it. Pretty epic.

I think it is actually pretty normal to receive a phone call from your POI or DGS. (Acceptance, not rejection) At least, that has been the case for my colleagues, myself, and many people who have been on these boards in the past.

IHM: I was at the dentist's office when I received the phone call from my top choice school. I recognized the area code, knew immediately what it meant, and actually ran out of the little office with the stupid bib on, blood in my mouth, etc. to answer it. Pretty epic.

Literally JUST as I read the first line my phone started ringing and it was a North American number. I practically fell on the floor gasping. It was some American coming to a conference who thought I was a hotel. I'm dead now.

Completely off the subject... I find funny (just noticed) that I am "ranked" as Latte here, because I actually drink between 5 to 7 Starbucks lattes per day--it's been like that for the past 12 years.

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Anyone hear from UT Austin? One person posted that they heard of people getting interviews but I haven't found any other mentions of that.

I was wondering about this too, but I think maybe they were confused? They said it said on the online status check that their app had been forwarded to the "graduate committee" which (it sounds like) they thought meant the grad school admissions (for the final once-over) rather than the department, and so if they hadn't heard anything from the department then they must be out. But that's what my application has said since I submitted it. Also, from the results search it doesn't even look like UT Austin does interviews...?

I could be wrong though! Here's hoping their decisions aren't out yet, it's one of my top choices. 

I noticed an acceptance to Northwestern...congrats, whoever you are! I am awaiting my fate with little optimism.

Same. I think it's a great fit, but as confident as I am with BGC, I'm not confident with NU. :( I didn't get an interview at NU, unfortunately. 

Edited by m-ttl

I was wondering about this too, but I think maybe they were confused? They said it said on the online status check that their app had been forwarded to the "graduate committee" which (it sounds like) they thought meant the grad school admissions (for the final once-over) rather than the department, and so if they hadn't heard anything from the department then they must be out. But that's what my application has said since I submitted it. Also, from the results search it doesn't even look like UT Austin does interviews...?

I could be wrong though! Here's hoping their decisions aren't out yet, it's one of my top choices. 

Yeah I think they were confused.  I mean, I applied for the MA and they applied for the PhD so maybe there is something I don't know, but I haven't heard of them doing interviews.  I really hope the decisions aren't out it is one of my top choices too...

Yeah I think they were confused.  I mean, I applied for the MA and they applied for the PhD so maybe there is something I don't know, but I haven't heard of them doing interviews.  I really hope the decisions aren't out it is one of my top choices too...

This may be my post that came off as confusing, my apologies. I was merely noting that my status had changed, but I meant to convey that the new information wasn't really anything exciting. I did not assume that my information had been passed to any one for a final look over, just that the process had started to move forward. Since we can't edit those submitted "results" I can't go back and clarify myself, sorry about that! I have not been contacted at all and neither has a friend of mine that applied for the same program. I thought I had seen someone posting about an interview, but now I think I might have been mistaken. Sorry for scaring people with my bad information. Can't trust anyone on the internet!  -______-  Good luck!!

I interviewed; however I am not the least bit confident about it.

Interviewed at NU or BGC? Sorry that was a bit confusing! What makes you say that (if it was NU?) I have a feeling bc I wasn't interviewed, I didn't end up being a top choice candidate.  

Interviewed at NU or BGC? Sorry that was a bit confusing! What makes you say that (if it was NU?) I have a feeling bc I wasn't interviewed, I didn't end up being a top choice candidate.

NU. I have a feeling that I was interviewed - despite the fact that the email said the department " ranked my application highly" - because my potential advisor was especially skeptical of me since I would be coming straight from undergrad (I had this feeling during the interview...could just be paranoia.)

This may be my post that came off as confusing, my apologies. I was merely noting that my status had changed, but I meant to convey that the new information wasn't really anything exciting. I did not assume that my information had been passed to any one for a final look over, just that the process had started to move forward. Since we can't edit those submitted "results" I can't go back and clarify myself, sorry about that! I have not been contacted at all and neither has a friend of mine that applied for the same program. I thought I had seen someone posting about an interview, but now I think I might have been mistaken. Sorry for scaring people with my bad information. Can't trust anyone on the internet!  -______-  Good luck!!

Ah I see, that makes sense. Yeah, I don't think that status change means much (just they have all your materials), mine has said that "forwarded to graduate committee" thing for a while. I don't think there have been any posts about interviews, so I don't think any of us are out yet (fingers crossed). If we can judge by the results search, they seem to send acceptances at all different times throughout February. How stressful. They should just let everyone know at once! Well, here's to hoping we hear something soon, and good luck!

Ah I see, that makes sense. Yeah, I don't think that status change means much (just they have all your materials), mine has said that "forwarded to graduate committee" thing for a while. I don't think there have been any posts about interviews, so I don't think any of us are out yet (fingers crossed). If we can judge by the results search, they seem to send acceptances at all different times throughout February. How stressful. They should just let everyone know at once! Well, here's to hoping we hear something soon, and good luck!

Mine just changed today, so that's weird! I haven't had any interviews yet and I am not holding my breath. I will be flattered if I end up on the wait list and I won't shed a single tear if I am rejected! That being said, let's hope for some good news soon. I am ready to make some plans for this fall!

anyone heard back from USC yet? my status on the website changed to 'you'll be notified via postal mail' and it also says they don't disclose admission decisions by any other means. Despite what they say about not disclosing decisions via phone/e-mail, this probably means a rejection....right?

NU. I have a feeling that I was interviewed - despite the fact that the email said the department " ranked my application highly" - because my potential advisor was especially skeptical of me since I would be coming straight from undergrad (I had this feeling during the interview...could just be paranoia.)

Ahhh. Hm. Well I would be coming out of undergrad as well, so there's a few options: You're only paranoid, which means you're in the running!, or they interviewed people they were on the fence about (in which case you are a contender!). I'm split between: They've rejected me (because I would be coming directly out of undergrad, and there was no interview :< ), or...they rejected me. Haha. I suppose I could have been accepted but even I'm not that confident about my application, even if I am confident about my ability to do doctoral work. 

Mine just changed today, so that's weird! I haven't had any interviews yet and I am not holding my breath. I will be flattered if I end up on the wait list and I won't shed a single tear if I am rejected! That being said, let's hope for some good news soon. I am ready to make some plans for this fall!

I like your attitude. Wish I could be so cool.

anyone heard back from USC yet? my status on the website changed to 'you'll be notified via postal mail' and it also says they don't disclose admission decisions by any other means. Despite what they say about not disclosing decisions via phone/e-mail, this probably means a rejection....right?

Mine says the same thing and I heard nothing from them prior to this. I will say that a very close friend of mine is a graduate student in this program and she gave me some insider info over lunch last week. She said normally they do a dinner and invite potential students to meet w graduate students. They didn't do that this year. She said she never heard anything about recruitment at all, which is unusual. Last year there was NO incoming class, they made 4 offers and each person turned them down. Some lame things are going on in the department and things are messy. It's possible that the mailed letter is a rejection, that's what I'm thinking for myself (my status is the same as yours). After hearing her talk about her unhappiness there as well as her classmates, I wouldn't accept an offer from them myself. Life is too short to be miserable. If it is anyone's to choice then I wish them the best, I certainly don't want to sound like I'm pissing on anyone's rainbow, but it sounds like there are some legit issues there and a very prominent faculty member was denied tenure and students have left. She also said that USC is trying to craft themselves into an "Ivy League school of the west" and another friend that applied last year and was denied said they won't accept you if they can't fund you and they can't fund you unless your GRE scores are very high. I feel like a total gossiper right now, sorry. PM me if you want more diet.