Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Hello! Has anyone been accepted into the University of Alberta for the anthropology masters program? I've been exchanging a few emails with the graduate chair and it seems as though offers will be given out soon, but she keeps changing the deadline. First, she said offers would be made in early March. Then she said offers will be made within the next two weeks (she sent me that email on Feb. 26). I'm soooo stressed out at the moment and I really wish I could just know by now! Like, even if it's a rejection, just let me know! 

I've applied to a few Gender Studies MA programs (Queen's, York, and U of T) and the Master's in Theory, Culture and Politics at Trent.

I heard back from Queen's first, they sound really excited about my program of study and have offered me really generous funding, but I'm still trying to hold out on accepting until I hear from York. :( Nothing yet, though.

I feel like York has professors doing research that makes them a better fit for what I'm doing, but Queen's is more clearly excited about me and my research area - they sent me an informal acceptance email the same day their Admissions Committee met up. Waiting makes me feel horribly rude - I've tried to be as clear with the Queen's people as possible that I am definitely interested, but am waiting to have further information about one of my other applications before I accept, but it sounds like they would like to have my response before March 15. I'm starting to get a bit antsy about it.

I also received a rejection letter from U of T. Not my top pick anyways, since they usually don't fund their MA students, so I'm not too broken up about it. No work from Trent yet.

Congrats on Queen's! I'm finishing my undergrad at Queen's now, with a minor in gender studies although I feel like I've taken more gender studies courses than courses for my major haha. Who are you planning to work with if you end up here?

Talked to York anthropology and they'll be making first offers next week, then a week after students who aren't admitted will hear back by mail. Wait-listed students will only hear after the students offered places decide.

It depends on the program. Even some humanities MAs (Philosophy, for example) fall under the guaranteed funding thing and will provide 15,000 plus dollars a year. English MAs, on the other hand, must rely on SSHRC and OGS awards. I'm sure the same applies to some others.

I got into U of T but received zero funding. They indicated this was the case for all successful applicants to the English MA program.

The guaranteed funding thing has always confused me. I'm assuming there is guaranteed funding for PhD students but not MA.

Yes, sorry, it does seem like it varies a lot depending on what department you're in and whether you've been admitted to the doctoral stream or not.

No need to apologize, i was just curious :P The source of funding for MA students is never very detailed on the university websites so i did not even know that MA students could receive funding prior to applications.

The guaranteed funding thing has always confused me. I'm assuming there is guaranteed funding for PhD students but not MA.

Not exactly. Depends on the department (some fund MAs). But PhDs at Toronto are pretty much all guaranteed funding.

Has anyone heard from U of T Criminology MA program?

My SGS status is "decision made" but I have yet to be informed of this decision 

There are a few of us in the same boat, for various programs. I think the consensus is that it is in the mail, but I may be mistaken. 

There are a few of us in the same boat, for various programs. I think the consensus is that it is in the mail, but I may be mistaken. 

No, you're right, they send things via mail. A friend who applied to a different department and I both got our rejections in the post.

No, you're right, they send things via mail. A friend who applied to a different department and I both got our rejections in the post.

You gotta be kidding me! When there's finally a decision, I'll have to wait for international snail-mail to know what it is?

You gotta be kidding me! When there's finally a decision, I'll have to wait for international snail-mail to know what it is?

I wish I were. It took about a week for it to get to me. In my experience, acceptances go out via email and rejections via post. Your mileage may vary, but that's how it worked for a friend and I.

I wish I were. It took about a week for it to get to me. In my experience, acceptances go out via email and rejections via post. Your mileage may vary, but that's how it worked for a friend and I.

A week?! Damn... 

Yeah, I'm officially on-board to label this the dumbest part of the entire admissions process - that they can't just email us the letters as soon as they have the decision. SO ANNOYING.

A week?! Damn... 

Well, I am on the opposite side of the continent, but yeah. I've gotten mail from Japan and Korea faster than this tiny little letter.

Yeah, I'm officially on-board to label this the dumbest part of the entire admissions process - that they can't just email us the letters as soon as they have the decision. SO ANNOYING.

I hear that. Especially considering international postage. Still not as bad as having had to send all my materials in to UBC. Still blows, though.

Well, I am on the opposite side of the continent, but yeah. I've gotten mail from Japan and Korea faster than this tiny little letter.

I hear that. Especially considering international postage. Still not as bad as having had to send all my materials in to UBC. Still blows, though.

Ditto - the UBC mailing your application materials process was almost enough to make me not interested in the program. Not to mention the strange way that they seemed unable to accurately update the site to represent what they'd received. So I guess we're still both waiting to hear from them!  Last year their first result on grad cafe was next Tuesday. Here's hoping!

Ditto - the UBC mailing your application materials process was almost enough to make me not interested in the program. Not to mention the strange way that they seemed unable to accurately update the site to represent what they'd received. So I guess we're still both waiting to hear from them!  Last year their first result on grad cafe was next Tuesday. Here's hoping!

I felt the same with them! If they weren't such a good fit I might have seriously reconsidered it. I hope we both hear good news soon! It's that time of year. It has to be over soon. This can't continue through Spring Break. I refuse to be at Disneyland or on the beach back home worrying if I'm going to be getting into PhD. 

I got my official e-mail from Western to check the site, and my offer letter is uploaded!

They want a decision by the 21st, so I'm hoping to hear back from Concordia soon. Last year they started sending out decisions around this time, so fingers crossed!

Thank you for posting this :) So far my status says "App forwarded: Interim review", and when you mention that they're looking for a balanced entry class that makes sense! Phew. I have been doing my undergrad there as a social work student yeah, and I remember not hearing from them until April about that - do you think there's a chance that hearing about grad school takes as long? In terms of the official transcript, it says that they got my unofficial one when I applied on Jan 15th, but it looks like on Feb 11th they requested another one, I hope that is good news :)

Out of curiosity, have you heard anything yet? This thread is totally dominated by the east...!

I wouldn't worry too much about the process being less than perfect. They did not even spell my name right, despite it being on no less than every document submitted. ;) As long as my BSc gets it's right, that's all that matters I suppose...

The MPH program seems quite popular, so it's expected that things will take longer to process. I don't know much about it, but it looks like there's no specific undergrad degree leading to it, so evaluations become that much harder.

You could give them a call and ask what's up. I fail to understand why they cannot provide status updates to applicants. Surely there are some preliminary screening processes, like axing everybody with a 2.0 GPA or missing courses? I think it would ease students' anxiety if they could know they at least made it to a stage where acceptance is within the realm of possibility. That's why I mentioned the official GPA request on UVic's page; I think that's a good sign they're taking a serious look, since they wouldn't burden the record's department with pointless requests.

I just got accepted to Carleton's MPA program with a really decent funding package!!!! I'm still waiting on U of T's MPP program to see if I get accepted/offered funding, but I have a feeling whatever they offer won't match Carleton.  I'm really, really happy as Carleton was one of my top two choices.

Rejected from McMaster and University of Calgary today, within about 2 hours of one another.  It kind of sucks about Calgary, I was really pumped for their new integrated bioanthro program.  This is year 2 for McMaster rejections, so needless to say, I will not be re-applying even for a PhD.  I have no clue what they want, and I went their for an undergrad.

Rejected from McMaster and University of Calgary today, within about 2 hours of one another.  It kind of sucks about Calgary, I was really pumped for their new integrated bioanthro program.  This is year 2 for McMaster rejections, so needless to say, I will not be re-applying even for a PhD.  I have no clue what they want, and I went their for an undergrad.

When you got a response from Calgary, did you get an email or did you just check your portal? 

Does anyone have a clue how to reply to Memorial University's offer? Because they didn't exactly tell me a deadline or how to reply.

Edited by reinhard

Memorial sent me an unofficial and said an official offer would come later. Did your official offer not explain what to do?

Also are you moving there or there already? Canadian or Intl?

I just got accepted to Carleton's MPA program with a really decent funding package!!!! I'm still waiting on U of T's MPP program to see if I get accepted/offered funding, but I have a feeling whatever they offer won't match Carleton.  I'm really, really happy as Carleton was one of my top two choices.

Congrats!! My status on my application to Carleton MPA program changed to "Under Review" - I accidentally submitted mine a couple days late (was used to being able to submit documents right away, not wait for a few days, whoops!) , so I assume I'll be at the end of the line for admissions/rejections. I'm so nervous!

Out of curiosity, have you heard anything yet? This thread is totally dominated by the east...!

I wouldn't worry too much about the process being less than perfect. They did not even spell my name right, despite it being on no less than every document submitted. ;) As long as my BSc gets it's right, that's all that matters I suppose...

The MPH program seems quite popular, so it's expected that things will take longer to process. I don't know much about it, but it looks like there's no specific undergrad degree leading to it, so evaluations become that much harder.

You could give them a call and ask what's up. I fail to understand why they cannot provide status updates to applicants. Surely there are some preliminary screening processes, like axing everybody with a 2.0 GPA or missing courses? I think it would ease students' anxiety if they could know they at least made it to a stage where acceptance is within the realm of possibility. That's why I mentioned the official GPA request on UVic's page; I think that's a good sign they're taking a serious look, since they wouldn't burden the record's department with pointless requests.

Just to let you know I still haven't heard anything ... also in terms of no undergrad degrees leading to the MPH - doesn't the public health and social policy bachelors lead into an MPH degree? I hope social work isn't too out of bounds for them, and I'm a little nervous to hear it is so popular! I haven't tried contacting them because I don't want to be a nuisance. Do you go to UVic as well? I have to spend 3.5 hrs there tomorrow presenting my research at IdeaFest - and I am not sure I could hate public speaking more -_- Hope we hear soon!