Intellectual interests outside of/completely unrelated to your field?

CageFree

Academia has the reputation of being the place where you learn more and more about less and less... we specialize to such a "ridiculous degree" that we become the world's living expert in <insert niche field>, seemingly to the exclusion of all other areas of knowledge.

Does anyone else have an interest in some field of knowledge that is wholly unrelated to your own academic pursuits?

I don't mean reading material in related fields... as a historian, I delve into anthropology, sociology, critical theory, politics, etc.., and I also read history outside my own region/period specialization. I mean something that is completely outside your area.

I, for example, love watching TV shows and reading articles about astrophysics and astronomy. In fact, I am far more likely to tune into the Science channel than the History channel (mostly because I dislike military history and refuse to consider aliens as historical subjects). My partner was a physics major in college and I ask him questions about black holes, dark matter, etc. all the time. I suppose it gives me a bit of a "break" from being "all history, all the time?"

Edited by CageFree

My field has the potential to be rather interdisciplinary, so there are great advantages to that. Outside of what I specialize in, I love humanist philosophy, literature, opera, theology, Medieval to modern history (esp. European and early American), epistemology, and though I don't understand it much at a micro theoretical level, things like theoretical physics. 

The academics I know tend to be very specialized, but also very intelligent across the board. I think the idea that we become so specialized we don't learn about anything else is a stereotype of the academic class, and is silly, especially if you consider that the more synapses you develop, the quicker you learn new things - including in fields other than your own.

This post came at a perfect time for me - literally when I was taking a break from writing the front page to a new blog about trying to maintain one's well-roundedness while in grad school (specifically in science, where time outside the lab is often looked at as wasted time).  I have so many interests outside of science that inform and strengthen the work I do inside the lab & often provides fresh insights I would otherwise lack.  Sometimes that's not the case of course, but even when my outside interested & learning is just for my own edification - I feel comfortable with that too.  Because honestly, graduate school for me is as much about self-improvement as radically changing my field.  I'm never going to win a Nobel prize, but I can chip away at being a better scientist everyday (inside AND outside the lab).

Some things I read about that inspired me to not ditch my side pursuits:

The Myth of the Well Rounded Scientist (article)

A Scientists thoughts on the above article

An example of a well-rounded badass

Even my hero takes a break from brains to hang out with ferns

Ok, this one may seem a little light and frothy, but when I say 'well-rounded' I'm including the seemingly frivolous, because I think maintaining a sense of self is important in any field:

Stylish Scientists

I'm fascinated by the natural sciences: physics, chemistry, biology, ecology, geology, etc. Now that I'm not threatened by homework or exams anymore, I also love to learn a little bit of maths, one of my biggest enemies in high school. I think most of us entering or aspiring to enter grad schools are naturally curious and love to learn new things, so side interests would be more of a norm than an exception.

Mr. Bugle about hit the nail on the head, hah! I obtained the nickname "Professor Periwinkle" at a very early age. I've always been a nerd. :)

I'm an archaeologist (mortuary, mostly), but when I was an undergrad, I was almost a Cognitive Studies double (neuropsychology, human/robot interaction), but ended up being an Environmental Studies (focus on human ecology) double and then an Art History triple. I grew up spending a lot of time traveling, and my parents were supportive of my nerditude, so we hit up all the zoos and museums. It left me something of an art history buff, and a lover all things natural science. 

Also, it's not that much of a deviation, but I love the forensic sciences and emergency medicine. Almost became an M.E., and I would like to (a) continue working with human remains and (B) become a W-EMT and/or a paramedic (preferably backcountry). Once I'm between MA & PhD time and slightly more financially and locationally stable, I may start getting my certs with NOLS et al; archaeologist by spring and summer, W-EMT/W-Medic by fall and winter. Badass 24/7/365. ;)

I'm applying to schools for a Masters in School Counseling, but my undergraduate degree is in art history and studio art, with only a minor in psychology.

My concentration in art history is the Dutch/Northern Renaissance. I think it's fascinating, but I'm not sure of how it will help me help high school kids pick a college. :P

Also, 20th Century literary fiction. But that's more of an intellectual interest born out of the hobby of reading.

I've always been into classic literature and philosophy... I generally agree with Mr. Bugle. My childhood dream was to be an astrophysicist, but I don't consider it unrelated to my field.

This is a funny question.  I used to professionally do X and my weird intellectual interest was Y.  After several years it was clear that X should have stayed a passion, and I thought I'd go back to try my hand at Y.  Now I do Y for a living (and am hoping for a PhD in it) and maintain a healthier interest in X. 

Anyway, cool story bro.  Also fashion, whiskey, taxidermy, biomedical curiosities and oddities, science and speculative fiction, tattoos and some of the worst television has to offer.  Nothing too exciting.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

My field is psychology, but I have always maintained interests in other areas like cooking, nutrition, criminology, chemistry, mythology (all kinds, not just Greek), creative writing, anthropology, medicine, and more.

Academia has the reputation of being the place where you learn more and more about less and less... we specialize to such a "ridiculous degree" that we become the world's living expert in <insert niche field>, seemingly to the exclusion of all other areas of knowledge.

Does anyone else have an interest in some field of knowledge that is wholly unrelated to your own academic pursuits?

I don't mean reading material in related fields... as a historian, I delve into anthropology, sociology, critical theory, politics, etc.., and I also read history outside my own region/period specialization. I mean something that is completely outside your area.

I, for example, love watching TV shows and reading articles about astrophysics and astronomy. In fact, I am far more likely to tune into the Science channel than the History channel (mostly because I dislike military history and refuse to consider aliens as historical subjects). My partner was a physics major in college and I ask him questions about black holes, dark matter, etc. all the time. I suppose it gives me a bit of a "break" from being "all history, all the time?"

I'm a biochemistry major with a minor in Gender and Women's Studies. I like that it gives me a break and it lets me work the other side of my brain. It has also improved my writing and critiquing skills a lot.

I wish I could have a minor in graduate school, but unfortunately I'm going to have to use reading to continue my other interests. (If I even have time!)

I minored in English during undergrad, and my favorite course was about literary theory. I was particularly interested in deconstruction and other post-structuralist approaches.

I wrote a paper on Baudrillard's simulacrum for that course and ended up presenting it at an undergrad literature conference. The discussion that followed after my panel was one of the most thought-provoking academic conversations I've had. I sometimes wish I had pursued literature just so I could keep writing papers like that. But in terms of graduate school, I think the biological sciences were the best choice for me. 

Also fashion, whiskey, taxidermy, biomedical curiosities and oddities, science and speculative fiction, tattoos and some of the worst television has to offer.  Nothing too exciting.

Can we be internet friends?

Actually, to heck with it. Can I be internet friends with everyone who's responded? So much awesome going on.

I almost forgot one! English history.

At work last year I started listening to The British History Podcast (http://thebritishhistorypodcast.com/) and I've become really interested in everything pre-Tudor. (I think the Tudors are over-exposed, but that's another story for another time.)

I also just finished watching Simon Schama's five-part documentary, A History of Britain, and it's amazing. I recommend both.

Can we be internet friends?

Actually, to heck with it. Can I be internet friends with everyone who's responded? So much awesome going on.

For real.  Let's talk about the best bourbon the ease the waiting pains.  GEEZ

Loving this thread! My first major in college was Archaeology (technically it was Biological Anthropology, but I wanted to be an archaeologist). I went to Archaeology field school my freshman year, and realized I although I loved it, I didn't love it enough for a PhD. I saw how hard the graduate students worked (no such thing as weekends)... and realized that I would likely be a drop-out. I decided to maintain my interests in archaeology from a distance and pursue another career path. I still LOVE learning about other cultures(current and historic), and travel as much as I can.

Also, beer. I love beer. Before deciding to start graduate school in Fall 2014, I seriously considered getting a beer judge certificate.

Ok, this one may seem a little light and frothy, but when I say 'well-rounded' I'm including the seemingly frivolous, because I think maintaining a sense of self is important in any field:

Stylish Scientists

made me smile. especially since i just spent far too long contemplating my luggage for a recruitment weekend. 

I have a number of hobby interests including beer/brewing, bourbon, rum, cycling, etc. that all involve an in-depth, technical knowledge of the subject matter.

I also have academic interests that are generally outside of my area of interest but I work them into my research. I'm really interested in the work of Saul Newman and Todd May on post-anarchism, for example. I'm also interested in psychoanalytic critiques of ideology and the "real." I bring these into my very dry, usually boring research on the political ecology of drainage and irrigation and people seem to really like that. I say that, if you have an outside interest, see if you can't incorporate it.

I'm in engineering.  I love drinking, watching trashy tv shows, reading trashy novels, historical novels like Austen or Bronte, painting with watercolors, WWII history, and pet rabbits.  I'm a renaissance woman in my own mind, and pretty much a crazy person to everyone else.