Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

17 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I was an undergrad at Davis. I hope you're enjoying it. I would go back in a heartbeat if only they had my field of study. 

I am totally in love with Davis! The history department is wonderful, and I couldn't be happier with where I ended up. I hope everyone on this forum feels the same about whatever program they choose!

Congrats to all who are hearing back! Has anyone heard from the history departments at UVA, Emory, or UT Austin? I haven't heard anything and I haven't really seen anyone recently report acceptances or rejections. Could it be that these schools are still considering their selections?

42 minutes ago, lstauffer714 said:

Congrats to all who are hearing back! Has anyone heard from the history departments at UVA, Emory, or UT Austin? I haven't heard anything and I haven't really seen anyone recently report acceptances or rejections. Could it be that these schools are still considering their selections?

Judging from the results page it looks like all those schools have sent out acceptances. However, only UVA has sent out rejections. Not sure what this means for you.

3 hours ago, lstauffer714 said:

I believe UVA is done with acceptances and waitlists. If you weren't invited to UT's visitor weekend then you will not be offered a spot. If you were the odds are incredibly high you will be offered. 

Edited by archersline

-complaining ahead- 

I've applied to UCLA, UIB (Indiana), UIC (Illinois), and UMiami. I do 20th century intellectual/social Costa Rican history, so finding matches was stupid hard. (I didn't do Pittsburgh because they won't take my MA in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, so Putnam, the ONE DOMESTIC HISTORIAN Costa Ricanist, was out.) My back up plan is going back to Costa Rica and just doing my PhD there because there would be 0 issues with matching interests and they produce excellent academics, but I like the idea of stipends and free tuition, and that's not a thing in Costa Rica, so I felt pretty okay about four applications.

But after getting rejected from IUB, which low key was my safety because the fit was solid and Gould seemed sincerely interested in my research, I'm feeling less confident about it. 

Despite available data from the forums and the last few years of the results search, I'm optimistic about UCLA, but I still haven't heard anything, and the wait is pretty awful. (Don't rain on my optimism, please. It's calculated optimism.) 

I have only seen one relevant post from UIC and I haven't seen anything on UMiami. Is anyone else waiting to hear back on these programs? Any info to add? Thanks in advance! (And hi.) 

So I saw the first UNC Chapel Hill rejection hit the boards (condolences to whoever posted), but I was legitimately excited that I wouldn't have to wait until late March again for a rejection and have one less application to check obsessively.  So I immediately pulled up my application only to see that there was no status change.  UNC graduate admissions, you are one fickle mistress.

Someone asked about UVA- I got my rejection soooo..... They probably like you more and have you somewhere in the trying to figure out where to place you in terms of a wait-list/admission/rejection still?

Anyone hear from Upenn??? Or Upitt??

1 hour ago, SunshineLolipops said:

So I saw the first UNC Chapel Hill rejection hit the boards (condolences to whoever posted), but I was legitimately excited that I wouldn't have to wait until late March again for a rejection and have one less application to check obsessively.  So I immediately pulled up my application only to see that there was no status change.  UNC graduate admissions, you are one fickle mistress.

My EXACT reaction lol. Does yours still say "submitted"?

Edited by rushistory

3 hours ago, SunshineLolipops said:

Would anyone like to claim the Penn State admit?

I proudly claim this as my first admit! I interviewed last Thursday with a few POIs and heard back from the DGS today. My field is nineteenth-century US. I believe they are offering admits one field at a time. 

Edited by herstory

17 hours ago, lstauffer714 said:

UVA's visit starts tomorrow, so I imagine if you haven't heard by now, that's not a good sign.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! 

As @archersline said, UT Austin already had their recruitment weekend, and made it pretty clear to those in attendance that they were the pool from which admits would be drawn.  To the best of my knowledge, they have not made an official decision yet, so a waitlist situation is still possible there.  Looking at the results page just now confirmed that no one has reported an acceptance to UT Austin in history yet this year (those posted are art history).

I don't know about Emory.

20 hours ago, lstauffer714 said:

I got a rejection email from UVA about two weeks ago. So maybe no news is good news!

2 hours ago, the_flying_k said:

UVA's visit starts tomorrow, so I imagine if you haven't heard by now, that's not a good sign.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! 

As @archersline said, UT Austin already had their recruitment weekend, and made it pretty clear to those in attendance that they were the pool from which admits would be drawn.  To the best of my knowledge, they have not made an official decision yet, so a waitlist situation is still possible there.  Looking at the results page just now confirmed that no one has reported an acceptance to UT Austin in history yet this year (those posted are art history).

I don't know about Emory.

Sadly UT doesn't have a waitlist. They offer a larger group of students (those invited to campus) and take what they get. 

From a suggestion I found here I picked up Semenza's Graduate Study For the 21st Century... so far its pretty good--particularly enlightening are the portions relating to how the future of tenure in intertwined with the adjunct/graduate labor pool. In this regard I had no idea that the graduate assistants in some communities have/are trying to unionize! I got the book for just a couple of bucks online and so far I would say it's worth it.

I saw that a couple of people have been rejected from UNC Chapel Hill via the website. I went on to check my status and it had not been updated. That confirms what I have been told unofficially, that I am on a "short" wait list. Jeez it would be phenomenal for my career to get there. Clutch.

On 2/26/2016 at 1:22 PM, emiliajulia said:

I got the same deal--and I'm already finishing my first MA! nu, at least they put the cost of tuition in the email!

I know right! I'll have 3 master's degrees at the end of summer. :P At that price, it is just fantasy. 

On 2/24/2016 at 1:36 PM, Josh J. said:

Well, I am in TOTAL shock at this moment...

Tenneesee just emailed me to let me know that they've given me the Klein fellowship AND a chancellors fellowship!!!!!!! Full five year funding, when normally they only provide 3-4.

Last year, I applied to seven programs and got zero admits....

I can't even believe it! I gotta calm down before I walk into a class of middle schoolers in half an hour to teach language arts!

Congrats, Josh!  I've been waitlisted at Tennessee for funding, and I have no idea how far down the waitlist I am.  

Anyone on here get the funding offer from the UT Knoxville medieval cohort?